Diversity in All Forms! discussion

Monthly Book Suggestions > March Bonus Read- National Women’s History Month

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah Roze (last edited Feb 07, 2017 06:24PM) (new)

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1361 comments Mod
March Bonus Read- National Women’s History Month

Every month we will have a bonus read that people can participate in! Members and participates are allowed to suggest books for the topic/theme picked.

Book suggestions will be accepted till 2/07/17!

message 2: by Susanne (last edited Feb 01, 2017 05:16AM) (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 7 comments I schedule my books out a few months, and in March I plan to read Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg!

Notorious RBG The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Irin Carmon

message 3: by Mariah Roze (new)

Susanne wrote: "I schedule my books out a few months, and in March I plan to read Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg!

[bookcover:Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bad..."

Awesome :) Thank you for being the first person to suggest a book!

message 4: by Mariah Roze (new)

Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay Bad Feminist
by Roxane Gay
In these sharp, funny, and insightful essays from one of the most-watched young cultural observers of her generation, Roxane Gay takes us through the journey of her evolution as a woman of color and comments on the state of feminism today. The portrait that emerges is not only of an incredibly insightful woman continually growing to understand herself and our society, but an inspiring call to arms of all the ways we still need to do better.

message 5: by Mariah Roze (new)

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
Raised in South Carolina and New York, Jacqueline Woodson always felt half at home in each place. In mesmerizing verse, she shares what it was like to grow up as an African American in the 1960s and 1970s, living with the remnants of Jim Crow and her growing awareness of the Civil Rights movement. The winner of the 2014 National Book Award for Young People’s Literature, each poem in Brown Girl Dreaming is both accessible and emotionally charged, each line a glimpse into a young girl’s soul as she searches for her place in the world.

message 6: by Mariah Roze (new)

Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross Pope Joan
by Donna Woolfolk Cross
For a thousand years her existence has been denied. She is the legend that will not die–Pope Joan, the ninth-century woman who disguised herself as a man and rose to become the only female ever to sit on the throne of St. Peter. Now in this riveting novel, Donna Woolfolk Cross paints a sweeping portrait of an unforgettable heroine who struggles against restrictions her soul cannot accept.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) The Woman from Tantoura by Radwa Ashour The Woman from Tantoura
by Radwa Ashour

The GR blurb:, excerpted. "This novel ... is first and foremost a powerful human story, following the life of a young girl from her days in the village of al-Tantoura in Palestine up to the dawn of the new century. We participate in events as they unfold, seeing them through the uneducated but sharply intelligent mind of Ruqayya, as she tries to make sense of all that has happened to her and her family. With her, we live her love of her land and of her people; we feel the repeated pain of loss, of diaspora and of cross-generational misunderstanding; and above all, we come to know her indomitable human spirit."

message 8: by Mariah Roze (new)

Carol wrote: "The Woman from Tantoura by Radwa AshourThe Woman from Tantoura
by Radwa Ashour

The GR blurb:, excerpted. "This novel ... is first and foremost a powerful huma..."

This sounds super good!

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Assata An Autobiography by Assata Shakur Assata: An Autobiography by Assata Shakur

A 4.47 average over 9512 ratings. Assatta Shakur's autobiography is a story like no other. Plus there's a forward by Angela Davis.

message 10: by Mariah Roze (new)

Female Chauvinist Pigs Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture by Ariel Levy Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture
Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture is a book by Ariel Levy which critiques the highly sexualized American culture in which women are objectified, objectify one another, and are encouraged to objectify themselves. Levy refers to this as "raunch culture".

message 11: by Mariah Roze (new)

How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran How to Be a Woman
by Caitlin Moran
Though they have the vote and the Pill and haven't been burned as witches since 1727, life isn't exactly a stroll down the catwalk for modern women. They are beset by uncertainties and questions: Why are they supposed to get Brazilians? Why do bras hurt? Why the incessant talk about babies? And do men secretly hate them? Caitlin Moran interweaves provocative observations on women's lives with laugh-out-loud funny scenes from her own, from adolescence to her development as a writer, wife, and mother.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (raeleighreads) | 22 comments Susanne wrote: "I schedule my books out a few months, and in March I plan to read Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg!

[bookcover:Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bad..."

I absolutely want to read this too!

message 13: by Rachel (last edited Feb 06, 2017 12:54PM) (new)

Rachel (raeleighreads) | 22 comments All great suggestions, Mariah (as usual)! :D

I'd like to add:

A Short History of Women by Kate Walbert A Short History of Women
Walbert’s novel opens in 1914 Britain at the deathbed of Dorothy Townsend, a suffragette who starves herself for the cause, and whose choice is echoed in the stories of her descendants. Told in a kaleidoscope of voices and with a richness of imagery, emotion, and wit, A Short History of Women illuminates the ways in which the lives of our great-grandmothers are carried throughout generations.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (raeleighreads) | 22 comments Gutsy Girls Young Women Who Dare by Tina Schwager Gutsy Girls: Young Women Who Dare
Here is an affirmative collection of essays by 26 young women, who share how they have overcome a variety of odds to achieve their most cherished dreams, from sports to academics.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (raeleighreads) | 22 comments Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit Men Explain Things to Me
In her comic, scathing essay “Men Explain Things to Me,” Rebecca Solnit took on what often goes wrong in conversations between men and women. She wrote about men who wrongly assume they know things and wrongly assume women don’t, about why this arises, and how this aspect of the gender wars works, airing some of her own hilariously awful encounters.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (raeleighreads) | 22 comments Mariah wrote: "Bad Feminist by Roxane GayBad Feminist
by Roxane Gay
In these sharp, funny, and insightful essays from one of the most-watched young cultural observers of her generation, Roxane Gay takes us..."

I've been wanting to read this one for a while as well! So many great options for this topic. Thank goodness there's a poll that chooses for me ;)

message 17: by Mariah Roze (new)

Thank you for all the suggestions! Hahaha that's how I feel too! I wish there was a way I didn't vote and only the members did because I struggle picking so much. I want to read everything :p

message 18: by Brina (new)

Brina How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents and its sequel Yo! both by Julia Alvarez. Either/or would be great for women's history month.