Play Book Tag discussion

Exquisite Corpse: Surrealism and the Black Dahlia Murder
This topic is about Exquisite Corpse
Archives 2016-2017 > Exquisite Corpse: Surrealism and the Black Dahlia Murder / Mark Nelson, Sarah Hudson Bayliss. 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 7947 comments Exquisite Corpse: Surrealism and the Black Dahlia Murder / Mark Nelson and Sarah Hudson Bayliss
3 stars

The “Black Dahlia” murder was the murder of 22-year old Elizabeth Short in LA in 1947. She was found with her body cut in half. The murder has never been solved, but George Hodel was one of the suspects at the time. This book illustrates the similarities between Elizabeth Short’s murdered body and surrealist art. Hodel was apparently connected to the art scene in LA around the time, as well as being a doctor.

I am more interested in the crime itself and not surrealist (weird!!!) art. There were plenty of photos in the book, of both surrealist art and the crime scene. The crime scene photos are pretty graphic, but the authors assure the reader that these are the least bad of the crime scene photos. The photos do show how closely her body does resemble plenty of surrealist art. There was a LOT more information than I ever wanted to know about surrealism and the artists themselves. The bulk of the book was really about the art and the artists and less about the crime. Despite me not really being interested in art history, the book mostly did hold my attention, so it’s an “ok” for me, but I’d really like to find more information on the murder itself where the book actually focuses on that.

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Jan 30, 2017 08:35PM) (new)

Sarah | 195 comments There is a book called The Black Dahlia Avenger by Steve Hodel. The author is the son of George and strongly believes his father was the killer. Though it was a best seller, the book was heavily criticized, but still an interesting possible take on the crime.

LibraryCin | 7947 comments Thanks, Sarah! I believe it's that book that alerted the authors of this one to look at George Hodel and start their comparisons. That book was mentioned a few times in this one, as well.