The Reading Challenge Group discussion

2017 Challenge Archive > African-American History (February 2017)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4708 comments Mod
Mission: Read one book in February which celebrates the African-American experience or discusses the African Diaspora. The book you choose does not have to address civil or human rights issues, although that topic is welcome. Last year, I chose a romance written by an African-American and a novel about the struggles of an inner city teen. The year before I think I read Twelve Years a Slave.

In doing a little research I discovered that Black History Month is has an annual observation in the United States, Canada (in Feb) and the United Kingdom (in Oct). I also believe there are celebrations in Germany as well. I'm including some Wikipedea links below for anyone who might wish to explore the history a bit more...

African-American History
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black...
African Diaspora
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afric...
African Union
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afric...

message 2: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (last edited Feb 02, 2017 10:24AM) (new)

Rosemarie | 3640 comments Mod
I requested Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington from the library.

Unfortunately, the library as only one copy, and I am hold 2 of 2.
I am going to choose another book for this challenge.

message 3: by caitlin; (new)

caitlin; I'm currently reading a book called Soul Survivors which is a collection of female slave stories. Would that be appropriate?

message 4: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Definitely. (And another for my TBR!)

message 5: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1509 comments Mod
Cait, that sounds like a good book!

message 6: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 412 comments I'm planning on reading Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, when I finish one of my other books first.

message 7: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I read that book a long time ago and then reread it a few years ago. It is a powerful book that I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

message 8: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1509 comments Mod
I just got Incidents in the life of a slave girl on my kindle. I'll try and get to it next week

message 9: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Since I am having difficulty in getting Up from Slavery I am going to read Go Tell It on the Mountain instead.

message 10: by Glennis (last edited Feb 05, 2017 01:39PM) (new)

Glennis | 135 comments I've had a copy of the Newbery Medal winning Elijah of Buxton that I've wanted to read...I'm in!
Completed by 2/5/17.
I've had a copy of Harriet Tubman - Portrait of an American Hero for ages....seems like a good time to crack the cover!!

message 11: by Glennis (new)

Glennis | 135 comments Sonia wrote: "I'm planning on reading Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, when I finish one of my other books first."

I just found this on my shelf while I was searching for my copy of The Color Purple.

message 12: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

message 13: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 2 comments I finished "The Blood of Emmett Till" , "The Underground Railroad", and "Hidden Figures" this month. Bonus: Two of these were written by authors of color!

I highly recommend all three!

message 15: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Great job, Ladies! I'm definitely going to add Hidden Figures to my book list.

message 16: by Trisha (last edited Feb 22, 2017 08:16AM) (new)

Trisha | 745 comments "Hidden Figures" sounds amazing! I've added it to my list too. Thanks for the recommendations.

message 17: by Gareth (new)

Gareth Townsend | 165 comments I'm inadvertently completing this mini-challenge. Both books im currently reading tie in nicely.

Darktown - is a crime novel set in 1948 Atlanta, where there are separate Black and White police forces, where the black officers are more or less powerless, and only 2 black officers seem to care about the murder of a black girl.

You Don't Know Me - An advance copy I'm reading through NetGalley. A young black man from London is on trial for murder, and fires his Lawyer just before closing speeches and delivers it himself. The book is written as though you are in the jury and are listening to him speak. So far it's great, really invested with the character, who is nameless.

message 18: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Just finished Brown Girl Dreaming which was terrific.

message 19: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I just finished Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin.
This is a serious book, loosely based on the author's life. An intense, worthwhile read.

message 20: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 412 comments I started Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl this morning. It's going to be traumatic I think.

message 21: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 412 comments I finished Incidents yesterday. a very important book.

message 22: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I have read the Jacobs book twice. I remember the section where she had to hide in that enclosed space for so long. What a brave woman.

message 23: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Good for you, Sonia. So glad you were able to finish it off.