What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical romance. Heroine rips petticoats to help drowning groom. Felicia is a snob, she was engaged to heroine's brother who is missing (Duke had sent him away).

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Daniels | 6 comments I am looking for the name of a book one of the first scenes is the heroine ripping her petty coats to help a groom drowning I remember Felicia who plays a snob tells the undercover Duke not to talk to her ( later she finds out he the duke) FeliCa was also engaged to the heroines brother who was missing. The duke had him set away thinking he had been making attempts on his life. For some reason I thought the lead names were Devon and Megan

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita (daisydoris) | 23 comments It could be Man of my Dreams by Johanna Lindsay.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita (daisydoris) | 23 comments This seems very familiar to me. I would also be very interested in the answer if anyone knows. Mary could it have been a Judith McNaught book?

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita (daisydoris) | 23 comments In the scene by the water was the heroine with a young boy sailing a toy boat when the accident happened. If so I know this book just can't think of the title.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37354 comments Mod
Mary, adding plot details to your header in addition to simply "historical romance book" could help your query get solved faster. If you are unable, a mod can do it for you.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 31517 comments Mod
Mary, do you mean the hero/Duke is pretending to be a groom - a man who takes care of horses or is planning to marry someone (who)? Why is he doing this? Spoilers are fine - just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37354 comments Mod
Mary, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann | 524 comments Anita, the book you're referring to is Once and Always by Judith McNaught; I'm familiar with the scene where the heroine Victoria rescues a little boy's toy boat from the river. However, it's not the book that Mary is searching for.

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1001 comments I agree with Anita. This sounds like Man of My Dreams by Johanna Lindsey. The H was Devlin and the h was Megan. I can't remember the name of the friend.

message 10: by Mary (last edited Apr 08, 2020 11:28AM) (new)

Mary Daniels | 6 comments EDIT: Some Spoilers
one of the first chapters: the heroine has a dog that scares the hero's horse. The hero's horse is carrying the actual groom, and the hero is pretending to be the groom. the Horse rears up and the real groom who was on the horse falls into the water, he doesn't know how to swim, the heroine rips her petticoat and save him. The heroine was with another lady Felicia or Felicity who is engaged to the heroines brother who is missing. But Felicia or Felicity comes cause she hears the Duke (or whatever his title is) is coming and is hoping for a better match. When this happens Felicia goes to the groom (actually the Hero) and gets into a verbal sparring match. Later on you find out that the heroines brother blamed the hero for something (don't remember what) and kept trying to kill him. The hero has him shipped of on a ship to America, that ship I believe sunk after a pirate attack. NOT 100% sure about that but brother ends in America and falls in love with an American (this is the 2nd book in series.
I know this was a popular author-- but it is one I read when I was younger so probably 20 years ago when I read it not sure when it was written. I think I found it a while back but when I went to download it it was not available on Kindle

No so I may have the names wrong.
It was a well know author but not Linsey, McNaught or Dexeraux

So the hero’s groom falls in a river because the heroines dog spokes he horse. Groom falls in river can’t swim heroine rips her petticoats to save him.
Another girl names Felica who is a snob yells at the hero not realizing he noble ( she has plans to marry the duke) even thought she is engaged to the heroines brother who is missing ( later find out that the hero had the brother shipped off)
Felica tells the hero never to speak to her again and she was going to get him fired ( she thought he was a groom)
Later Felica marches up to the duke/ hero and doesn’t recognize him as the “groom” she tried to get him fired.
The duke/hero turns to heroine and says please remind miss ( whatever her last name was) I’m not allowed to Talk to her

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Daniels | 6 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Mary, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

Still looking -- may have found it but need to reread book

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary Daniels | 6 comments Anita wrote: "It could be Man of my Dreams by Johanna Lindsay."

Possibly -- I may be confusing two book as well, for some reason I didn't think it was Lindsey but will reread this book

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary Daniels | 6 comments Anita wrote: "It could be Man of my Dreams by Johanna Lindsay."

Anita wrote: "It could be Man of my Dreams by Johanna Lindsay."

Nope just looked at it-- the scene was in the very beginning of the book.

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary Daniels | 6 comments Mary wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Mary, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

Still looking -- may have found it but need to reread book"

Nope not Man of my Dreams

message 15: by Petit Pety (new)

Petit Pety | 13 comments Fallowing

message 16: by Kris (new)

Kris | 31517 comments Mod
Petit Pety, no need to post a comment to follow a thread if you're on the full Desktop website. Click the "Notify me when people comment" link above the Comment box.