Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Best of Year Reads > The Results: 2016 Top M/T Series

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Jan 29, 2017 09:05PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments 1 - Tie: (5 votes)

Elvis Cole and Joe Pike series by Robert Crais
Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly
Lucas Davenport series by John Sandford

2 - Tie: (2 votes)

Bill Hodges series by Stephen King
Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French
Midnight, Texas series by Charlaine Harris
Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
Three Pines series by Louise Penny
Wishcraft series by Heather Blake

Honorable mention: 1 vote each

Charlie Parker series by John Connolly
Chet and Bernie series by Spencer Quinn
Claire and Russ series by Julia Spencer Fleming
Constance Kopp series by Amy Steward
Cork O'Connor series by William Kent Krueger
D.I. Thomas Lynley series by Elizabeth George
Domestic Diva series by Krista Davis
Easy Rawlins series by Walter Mosley
Gerard Guerrieri series by Gianrico Carofliglio
Jane Whitfield series by Thomas Perry
Jesse Stone series by Reed Coleman
John Rain series by Barry Eisler
Joseph O'Loughlin series by Michael Robotham
Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
Monkeewrench series by PJ Tracey
Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman
Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben
Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series by Val McDermid
Virgil Flowers series by John Sandford
Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson
Zoe Boehm series by Mick Herron

----
edited

message 2: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments The author of the Mercy Thompson series is Patricia Briggs.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments Shomeret wrote: "The author of the Mercy Thompson series is Patricia Briggs."

Thanks Shomeret, I'll edit it abovel.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Thanks Carol! What a great list of series to try a few new ones or old favorites.
A new Elvis and Joe book coming this June! The Wanted June 6 2017. I plan to start the John Rain books soon.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments Ann wrote: "Thanks Carol! What a great list of series to try a few new ones or old favorites.
A new Elvis and Joe book coming this June! The Wanted June 6 2017. I plan to start the John Rain b..."

I've had the John Rain books on my Determination List forever, Ann. If you're willing to start with the first, maybe we can do a Buddy Read.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments The John Rain books are good reads. I understand there might have been some editing on the originals. Some of the early books had a fair amount of Japanese politics in them which could get tedious, but on the whole pretty top-notch. Haven't read one in some time.

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments I enjoyed the John Rain books, and the spin offs as well.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Carol:
A buddy read sounds good for the first book! I have an audible copy of it when we decide to start it.
Melodie:
There are two different names for many of the John Rain books. I saw that the author narrates the new versions but not the originals. Hmmm
Barry:
Your recommendations are duly noted!

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2647 comments Eisler got back the rights and retitled all the books.

message 10: by Ann (last edited Feb 04, 2017 09:23PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments That rings a bell Dan. I can't remember why he did that though, was it that the new ones are more Americanized versions and leaving out the Japanese politics Melodie mentions? He did such a stellar job of narrating Livia Lone himself it makes me wish I didn't have a couple of the John Rain audio books already lined up in the original release versions.

Dan in AZ wrote: "Eisler got back the rights and retitled all the books."

message 11: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2647 comments In one comment he said he didn't feel the titles assigned by the publisher were reflective of the book. Titles, covers and blurbs can be a problem for authors since the publisher controls them.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7889 comments Ann wrote: " He did such a stellar job of narrating Livia Lone himself it makes me wish I didn't have a couple of the John Rain audio books already lined up in the original release versions. ..."

That's good to know, Ann. I've had the first in the series on my shelf for a decade it seems but if I switch to audio I will look for those he narrates.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Good to know! Thanks Dan! It sounds like I wont miss anything reading the original versions i already have.

Dan in AZ wrote: "In one comment he said he didn't feel the titles assigned by the publisher were reflective of the book. Titles, covers and blurbs can be a problem for authors since the publisher controls them."