Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about Royal Assassin
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Royal Assassin [January 2017]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Anni | 5014 comments Starting 01/29/2017

Anni | 5014 comments I've read the prolog till now, not so much new, so it's a realy slow start!

(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments It's a little bit confusing at first in Chapter 1 - all of a sudden that type of skilling - but then you get it real fast and the pace picks up in Chapter 2. I wouldn't have suspected that of Shrewd - plots and assassination attempts yes but not the real deal!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments oh my...! This book is turning out to be great. I just can't put it down! Just one more page...just one more chapter. I'll sleep late again tonight!!!

message 5: by Anni (last edited Jan 31, 2017 01:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5014 comments Laura wrote: "It's a little bit confusing at first in Chapter 1 - all of a sudden that type of skilling - but then you get it real fast and the pace picks up in Chapter 2. "

I appreciate it that we get to know a bit more about the skilling (view spoiler)

Chapter 2 wasn't such a big surprise as we know about his journey back to Bocksburg from the last chapter of Assassins apprentice. I like the relationship between burrich and fitz (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments I am really sorry Anni! I know you set the pace at 1 chapter a day but I couldn't keep it! For me this book is not one that I can keep aside to read something else in between. It is addictive! I tried reading other stand alones in between to keep to the set pace but often found myself wondering what will happen with Fitz next while I was reading about smth else. So I finally gave up! I just finished Chapter 18 yesterday night and am waiting for tonight again to continue. I love the relationship between Verify and Fitz and the way the bond between Fitz and Nighteyes develops. I see the Fool in a totally new light now and he has become one of my favourite characters. And I often feel like boxing Fitz's ears for the rash way he behaves, without thinking. But then I wonder what I would have done in his place... I'll keep going back to the chapters I have just read and comment with you when you reach them but I'll go on at a faster pace. I cannot help it! I find this book even better than the first! Keeps you at the edge of your seat, teeth clenched waiting for the next thing to happen. And it has a lot of feeling too. I just love books that dwell even on feelings!

Anni | 5014 comments Nevermind, reading should be fun! Do you manage the spoiler tags? Cause you don't respond to mine? And I would prefer you would use some. It's a minor thing but now I guess (view spoiler)

I finished chapter 5 yesterday :) In some reviews I have seen people mentioning that these book is even more slow-paced as the first and nothing much is happening. So far I can't agree, I love the worldbuilding and how the people interact. (view spoiler)

Anni | 5014 comments Oh and I am really curious why everyone seems frowned upon the ability to communicate with animals. I heard we will get the reason in The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince, so I might read that a s well :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments I don't manage spoiler tags still. I'll try today again. I can see them but still don't get how to use it myself. Sorry if I gave something away! I'll try not to next time. And hopefully I'll get the hang of the spoiler tags today.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments by the way I agree Anni. I also found this book the opposite of slow. It seems really fast-paced to me too.

message 11: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5014 comments It's actually very easy you just have to put the word 'spoiler' in these brackets < > infront of your sentence and '/spoiler' in < > afterwards. There ist an example when you click at the button (some html is ok).

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments Thank you. I read the example but I understood I have to put the words themselves in between those brackets, not the word spoiler in between them before and after the paragraph I want to hide. I'll try the way you explained tonight.

message 13: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5014 comments You're welcome. Don't forget this / before the second spoiler in the brackets, just to make sure it will work this time ;)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments Thank you again Anni. Me and new gadgets don't quite go hand in hand. I am more of the old fashioned diary writing girl. Everybody nowadays seems to even have their to do list on phones or computers but i still keep mine on a notebook. Don't even know how to install all the apps on a new phone when i buy it. My husband does that for me. Pen and paper are my type of tool and checklists made by hand even for my son's therapy program and daily routine fit me a lot better than computer made ones. I find it more comforting in holding a pen rather than typing on the computer.
(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments Yey! I finally got it!

message 16: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments I'm going to start this one tonight

message 17: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments I have to say, After the prologue, I'm already fully captivated!

(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments Some reviews say that this book is boring. To me it was quite the contrary.
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments I read those reviews too and it was the opposite for me too. Very engaging book right away

message 20: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments Wow , I just finished Chapter 3 and I had to take a few minutes to collect myself. That was very intense! (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments I found that really unfair too! But wait and see... it gets worse!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments how are you doing with Royal Assassin? I will not start on Assassin's Quest until at least one of you finishes. though I have to admit my hand itches to grab it :)).

message 23: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments I took a break to read Bear and the Nightingale but I should be done later today. I will resume this one right away. I hate leaving things unfinished haha!

I finished 25% so far.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments ok. get back in touch again will you when you start. sane goes for me with the unfinished things - that's why the itch for book 3:).

message 25: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5014 comments Rob wrote: "I took a break to read Bear and the Nightingale "

Same here, I'm done with chapter 8 so far. I love how human the protagonists are. For example Verity, that they sometimes don't know what to do and whats right or wrong. Can't stay the allways right and glory and so unbelievably beautiful heros in some books...

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments I totally agree with you Anni. That is one of the things I loved most in these books. That the characters seem so very real with flaws and imperfections just as any normal human. Not all knowing and all good-doing heroes.

message 27: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments I just started reading this again and i'm at chapter 11.

I also Agree Anni. The characters are really great! speaking of great characters. I reeeeeally enjoy the Fool! He makes me laugh out loud and I can't contain it!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments next to Fitz, the Fool is the one I like best too.

message 29: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments Chapter 13

(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments (view spoiler)

message 31: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5014 comments Rob wrote: "Chapter 13"

(view spoiler)

Hacen | 881 comments I've already read the farseer trilogy but I'd love to join y'all when you get to Tawny Man :)

message 33: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments Hacen wrote: "I've already read the farseer trilogy but I'd love to join y'all when you get to Tawny Man :)"

That would be great! I really like the series so far. I'm on board for the next one!

message 34: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments Chapter 18
(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments (view spoiler)

message 36: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments Chapter 25

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5014 comments Argh I can' t keep up with you two :(

message 38: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments Anni wrote: "Argh I can' t keep up with you two :("

I can slow down. I have lots of books I need to catch up with :)

What do you think of the book so far?

message 39: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5014 comments That would be great! I really like it! :) It is not the book, but the missing time to read... I love the characters, except from regal of cause! But still he is so well written and a perfect person to hate and blame. And am really curious whats going on with the whole pirate/Forged thing!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments we have Elantris buddy read starting tomorrow so there is another break and then there is The Alloy of Law also on the 26th. Maybe you'd like to join for that one also Rob! I am keeping busy even with the Lions of Al-Rassan so I don't think about Farseer :). And I totally agree with you Anni: Regal is just the perfect villain to hate! Reading is a lot more fun this way - sharing comments and thoughts about it - so I don't want to start the last book until you two also catch up!

message 41: by Anni (last edited Feb 16, 2017 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5014 comments Chapter 19

(view spoiler)

And while reading Chapter 20
(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments By chapter 19
(view spoiler)
And by Chapter 20
(view spoiler)

message 43: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments Chapter 20
(view spoiler)

message 44: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5014 comments I finally finished Chapter 25 (Yey!), the last chapters were a bit slow-paced and kind of tough for me...(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments Anni wrote:

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments Great points! I think my favorite parts of these books is the the characters are very real and the author makes the reader feels emotions... for example, the hatred for Regal. It feels so perfectly realistic! From words to mind, Fitz's emotions become my own in a great way.

message 47: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5014 comments I agree with you Laura, it wasn't boring just slow.
And the Comprehensibility of the characters definitly belong to the books strength.

Chapter 26

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob | 159 comments I couldn't put it down and I finished :)

(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments Rob wrote: "I couldn't put it down and I finished :)

Yeay!!!

(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6200 comments Anni wrote: "I agree with you Laura, it wasn't boring just slow.
And the Comprehensibility of the characters definitly belong to the books strength.

Chapter 26

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

« previous 1