What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Fantasy fiction about healers

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lexi (last edited Jan 31, 2017 07:23AM) (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments I looking for books similar to the Immortals series by Tamora Pierce and the Gargoyle Guardian Chronicles by Rebecca Chastain. Both of these series have a main character with magic that can heal other creatures. Does anyone know of any other books or series where the main character is a healer?

message 2: by Joseph (last edited Jan 29, 2017 06:40PM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Sharon Shinn has a fantastic fantasy series "Twelve Houses" where many of the characters are healers. The first book is Mystic and Rider.
Beth Cato also has a pretty good fantasy duology The Clockwork Dagger and The Clockwork Crown.

message 3: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments Joseph wrote: "Sharon Shinn has a fantastic fantasy series "Twelve Houses" where many of the characters are healers. The first book is Mystic and Rider.
Beth Cato also..."

While, I've read books in the "Twelve Houses" series before, Beth Cato's duology is new to me and I plan to check it out. Thanks for the suggestions Joseph.

message 4: by Krazykiwi (last edited Jan 31, 2017 09:56AM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 152 comments Of Mist, And Grass, And Sand is a novellette that was also extended into a novel Dreamsnake. It's very 70's, but I love it nonetheless.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Pluym | 102 comments The Shifter
The Shifter
by Janice Hardy

It is YA but I really enjoyed it. It is an easy read and is a series. I thought it had some really interesting takes on the ability to heal.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Eldrie The Healer the MC is a healer and she meets another healer. And despite what it says about it being book #1--I've never found another book in the series. I'm not sure why the author never wrote any more books, but that seems to have been the last one that she wrote. Still, I enjoyed it.

message 7: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1198 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Eldrie The Healer the MC is a healer and she meets another healer. And despite what it says about it being book #1--I've never found another book in the series. I'm not sure why the au..."

I read one or two of hers (including that one) ages back, from what I recall she died (think it was sudden-ish but I don't remember how anymore) in the late 80s or early 90s, far enough back that there wasn't much info online but an author friend of hers reported it on a message board or something and I ran across it during a search. I remember being disappointed since I'd liked the books of her's I'd read.

message 8: by Marie (new)

Marie | 276 comments Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder. World where people can have all kinds of different magical abilities (air, fire, forest, earth, etc. ) and the main character is a healer. She is the last of her kind because there was a mass genocide of her people when they were blamed for not stopping a plague that ravaged the continent.

message 9: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5096 comments Book of Enchantments
"Earthwitch"

message 10: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Feb 05, 2017 02:24PM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1756 comments Marie wrote: "last of her kind because there was a mass genocide of her people when they were blamed for not stopping a plague "

Boy, that's kinda cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The Legend of Nightfall has a healer in it, but not the main focus of the story, only a few scenes. Interesting take, since healing (and abilities in general) are not common and threatened; so the healer is closeted and protected - house arrest and guarded at all times. More of a tool, and their human needs are secondary.

Also, this unsolved request about a healer who gives himself new tattoos every day.

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Jennifer Estep has a series called Elemental Assassins where most people have some kind of magic ability, and the air mages are healers. The MC in this series is an assassin called "The Spider". Spider's Bite is the first book in the series.

message 12: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments Megan wrote: "The Shifter
The Shifter
by Janice Hardy

It is YA but I really enjoyed it. It is an easy read and is a series. I thought it had some really interesting takes on the ability to heal."

Thanks Megan. I read The Shifter by Janice Hardy several years ago. It was a good book. I've added the next books in the series to my to-read list.

message 13: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments Marie wrote: "Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder. World where people can have all kinds of different magical abilities (air, fire, forest, earth, etc. ) and the main character is a..."

I've read this series before. It's been several years, so I will probably reread them soon. Thanks for responding.

message 14: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (nyxia) | 46 comments Rosa wrote: "Book of Enchantments
"Earthwitch""

I enjoy Patricia C. Wrede's books. I will have to check this one out. Thanks.

message 15: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 591 comments Dreamer's Pool - heroine is a reluctant wisewoman/healer - set in Druidic / early Christian times (as I recall)

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2359 comments Sheri Tepper's The Gate to Women's Country - the main character is a healer/physician. I don't think she uses any magic, though.

message 17: by Deborah (last edited Mar 07, 2017 07:18PM) (new)

Deborah Bell | 28 comments I really liked The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card. It's a little weird because he originally wrote a short story or something and pulled it into a novel later - you can kind of tell but the edition I read had a foreword that indicated he wanted it that way.

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I don't see where anyone mentioned Dreamsnake. But I'm not entirely sure that counts as fantasy--but it's not exactly sci-fi either. It's one of those books that kind of is/isn't either category.

message 20: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2359 comments Up above, in message #4. Great book :)

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen | 260 comments There is a healer in An Ember in the Ashes. She's a more prominent character in book 2, A Torch in the Night. But she doesn't use her powers all that often.

message 24: by John (new)

John Green | 52 comments I quite enjoyed the Deryni series by Katherine Kurtz. It starts with Deryni Rising, but the healer characters mainly start with Camber of Culdi.