Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Group Book Discussion > January/February 2017 Bookmarks Selections

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 3: by Elle (new)

Elle (elleisforliving) | 54 comments I read The Mothers by Brit Bennett This is a tough one for me to review. I enjoyed the writing a lot and thought she did an amazing job of capturing all different voices of 'mothers' - especially the collective voice of the The Mothers at the church but some of the story dragged for me. I am in awe that this is her first novel and I would read more by her.

message 4: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) i have read both Swing Time and The Mothers. while i liked both, i wasn't totally blown away by either, so seem to have fallen on the other side of the high-praise critical opinions.

Mister Monkey, Truevine: Two Brothers, a Kidnapping, and a Mother's Quest: A True Story of the Jim Crow South, and His Bloody Project are all in my Mt. TBR pile. :)

message 5: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1248 comments I started Swing Time and actually found it a little boring. One thing I found somewhat annoying is that the descriptions of the book frequently say it is a story of two dancers. I don't think the people writing those reviews have even read the book. The two main characters take dance class together when they are young girls. One goes on to dance, but the other doesn't (as far as I got in the book anyway). I'll get it out of the library again at some point and see if I can finish it and like it any more.

I've several of the others on my TBR list, but not anywhere close to reading them.