The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE - BOTM nominations > March 2017 themed BOTM nominations

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments We had a tie this month! I put the two winning themes into a random.org generator and our winning theme for March is whodunits! Please nominate your themed books here!

* Our rules for general nominations also apply to this thread.
* You can nominate one book in each thread: general nominations and themed nominations.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments Hmmm....I'm not sure that's a whodunit, Sisa. It tells us, "Gary Soneji wants to commit the crime of the century. Alex Cross is the brilliant homicide detective pitted against him," in the blurb. So, pretty much we already know whodunit.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments hahaha :) No problem. A whodunit is when you have to figure out who the bad guy is. Typically, a murder mystery, but could be a thief or some other criminal type, I suppose. I think of the old Agatha Christie type books, or Sherlock Holmes, or cozy mysteries when I think of whodunits. I suppose as long as there is a bad guy and a crime and you have to try to figure out who did it. :)

message 5: by ~Mandi~ (new)

~Mandi~ (mandilyn) | 3 comments The Girl Before by JP Delaney

message 6: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments I nominate The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (I had never heard about this whodunit before, but after read the explanation, an Agatha Christie's book sounds a perfect choice)

message 7: by Lugosifan (new)

Lugosifan | 157 comments I'd like to nominate The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 29, 2017 04:05PM) (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments Sisa wrote: "Ohhhh, okay, that makes complete sense! Thank you Kristie, I feel all embarrassed for not knowing. *blushing*
Would The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, count?"

No worries! I'm sure you weren't the only one. :) That is just my own general version. I'm sure there's something more precise somewhere, but that's what we'll go with for this theme.

I'm still not sure. There is a disappearance, but I don't know if there was a crime or if they are trying to find out who did it. It sounds like they are trying to find out what happened (a what happened versus a who done it). Has anyone else read it? Do you know if they are trying to figure out who did something?

Edit: Our other moderator, Karen, has read it, so I've asked her for her opinion. I have plenty of other GR friends that have read it as well, so I'm sure we can figure it out quickly.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracylemos) | 233 comments I would like to nominate A Murder In Time by Julie McElwain. A definite mystery of who dun it.... :)

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments Sisa wrote: "If not, I looked up a list of the best whodunits (I needed some help haha) and The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins caught my eye. So that can be my for sure backup! Thanks for your patience..."

Ok, Sisa! We'll go with that. I promise nominated for the theme is always this difficult. :)

message 11: by Virna Pamela (new)

Virna Pamela Odiver-Aricheta (artsynanay) | 63 comments Hi, I'm just new here, but I'd like to try and nominate a book if this would be considered as a whodunit. :)

It's Stalking Jack the Ripper.

message 12: by MB (new)

MB | 55 comments I'll nominate
The Couple Next Door

message 13: by Olivia (last edited Jan 31, 2017 08:59AM) (new)

Olivia (oliviah_) | 72 comments I'd love any Sherlock Holmes story or Agatha Christie.
I'll nominate Murder on the Orient Expressby Agatha Christie.

Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments Virna Pamela wrote: "Hi, I'm just new here, but I'd like to try and nominate a book if this would be considered as a whodunit. :)

It's Stalking Jack the Ripper."

Welcome! I'm sorry, but I don't know if that's a whodunit...I mean we know Jack the Ripper done it and we don't know who Jack the Ripper was, so I would imagine that we don't find out at the end. Unless someone else has read this and knows differently?

Would you like to nominate something else? Any story where you don't know who did the crime (typically a murder, think cozies) and you find out at who did it at the end. The author has to reveal who did the crime.

The poll will go up a little later today, so if you do want to nominate something else, please try to get it in soon.

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments Virna Pamela - I noticed that you didn't nominate in the general poll. You could nominate Stalking Jack the Ripper there, if you'd like to. Just follow this link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 16: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 26 comments Please may I nominate A Time To Kill A Time to Kill by John Grisham by John Grisham

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments Hi Wend - That's not really a whodunit either. We know who did the crime. I don't believe there is any question there. It's more about the court and repercussions of the crime. Would you like to nominate something else?

message 18: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Can I nominate Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

(as I pit Poirot against Marple) :P (I also just personally wasn't a fan of Murder on the Orient Express - sorry)

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments I'm going to add On What Grounds.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Feb 01, 2017 02:32PM) (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments Sorry! I just realized that Murder on the Orient Express is #10 in the series, Olivia. Our rules state only the first book in a series or a stand-alone in allowed. Would you like to choose another?

message 22: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 265 comments Kristie wrote: "Sorry! I just realized that Murder on the Orient Express is #10 in the series, Olivia. Our rules state only the first book in a series or a stand-alone in allowed. Would you like to choose another?"

I understand if rules are rules, but just wanted to mention that Agatha Christie's books can be read in any order & beyond having the same "detective" for each book in the "series" the books don't really overlap in any way.

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments I know, Kirsten. I've read several and not in order. I'm just trying to be fair to everyone by keeping the same guidelines.

message 24: by Virna Pamela (last edited Feb 03, 2017 06:20AM) (new)

Virna Pamela Odiver-Aricheta (artsynanay) | 63 comments Kristie wrote: "Virna Pamela - I noticed that you didn't nominate in the general poll. You could nominate Stalking Jack the Ripper there, if you'd like to. Just follow this link: https://www.goodre..."

Oh yes, you're right :) I'll do that now, thanks!

message 25: by Haley (new)

Haley (haleymadd) I would like to nominate The Cuckoo's Calling

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments Haley wrote: "I would like to nominate The Cuckoo's Calling"

Sorry, Haley. We've already read that one as a group. Would you like to nominate something else?

message 27: by Haley (new)

Haley (haleymadd) Kristie wrote: "Haley wrote: "I would like to nominate The Cuckoo's Calling"

Sorry, Haley. We've already read that one as a group. Would you like to nominate something else?"

Okay sorry about that, how about And Then There Were None

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments We've read that one too, Haley. (Both good nominations though!) Here is a link to our bookshelf so you can see all the books we've already read. https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Want to try again? Third time's a charm? :)

message 29: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (oliviah_) | 72 comments Ok, well I'll nominate A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle

It's been years since I read any Sherlock Holmes. I'd love an excuse to read another from that series.

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4675 comments Perfect! I've added it. :)

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Feb 07, 2017 09:05AM) (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.