Goodreads Sanctuary discussion

Book nook > New books on my bookshelves!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by martin eden (new)

martin eden

message 2: by martin eden (new)

martin eden You went to the bookstore, to the library, to a book festival and you came back home with a new pile of books... Share with us what you found ...

message 3: by martin eden (new)

martin eden I went to the library and borrowed lots of books:
La femme au carnet rouge by Antoine Laurain
Django Unchained by Quentin Tarantino
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Moby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman Melville
Sula by Toni Morrison
The 10PM Question by Kate De Goldi
Manga Shakespeare The Tempest by Richard Appignanesi
Martin Luther King Jr. Graphic Biography by Saddleback Educational Publishing

message 4: by Shevella (new)

Shevella (hummingbird14) | 170 comments That should keep you busy for a little while Martin ;)

message 5: by martin eden (new)

martin eden I've already read three of them, but they were quite short.

message 6: by Karin (new)

Karin (hippolicious) Wow! Nice... I have also quite a to read list...I wish I could read all the time...I want more time in a day!

message 7: by martin eden (new)

martin eden One of my colleagues lent me American Indian Myths and Legends American Indian Myths and Legends (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library) by Richard Erdoes
sounds really interesting!

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin (hippolicious) Oh cool! :-)

message 9: by Shevella (new)

Shevella (hummingbird14) | 170 comments martin eden wrote: "One of my colleagues lent me American Indian Myths and Legends American Indian Myths and Legends (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library) by Richard Erdoes
sounds really interesting!"

I find learning about the myths and legends of other cultures quite interesting!

message 10: by martin eden (new)

martin eden I love that, it's really enriching.

message 11: by Shevella (new)

Shevella (hummingbird14) | 170 comments I went to the bookstore to buy a gift and picked up a book for my own collection, Edgar Allan Poe: Complete Tales and Poems Edgar Allan Poe Complete Tales and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe

message 12: by martin eden (new)

martin eden Great choice Shevella! I've ordered Amistad.

message 13: by Shevella (new)

Shevella (hummingbird14) | 170 comments I saw the movie when it came out. It's a very powerful story.

message 14: by martin eden (new)

martin eden I saw the movie too. The book has been on my TBR list for ages!

message 15: by Karin (last edited Feb 19, 2017 11:53PM) (new)

Karin (hippolicious) Shevella wrote: "I went to the bookstore to buy a gift and picked up a book for my own collection,

Oooh Edgar Allan Poe! I have the complete works on my bookshelf (still have to read it.)
Amistad sounds interesting, Martin!

Friday I finally received my beautiful copy of Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Still waiting on Middlemarch. I hope I'll get it before I finish the e-book, but I'm on a schedule... I have so much to read this year!!!!! :-o

message 16: by Karin (new)

Karin (hippolicious) Middlemarch was just delivered! It's such a pretty edition! :-) I'm over the moon! :-D

message 17: by martin eden (new)

martin eden That's great news, Karin! I love that moment when I open the parcel... I'm a kid again!
I'm planning my visit to the library on Friday...

message 18: by martin eden (new)

martin eden I wen to the library yesterday and borrowed some books:
King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table, Great Expectations, The Graveyard Book, Room, La guerre des banlieues n'aura pas lieu and a collection of autobiographical stories by Jack London, and books for my daughters too.
I received Amistad and ordered The Namesake, Pay It Forward and Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All.
Lots of good reads for March!

message 19: by Karin (new)

Karin (hippolicious) oooooh I love Great Expectations and Neil Gaiman! You have great taste!

message 20: by martin eden (new)

martin eden Karin wrote: "oooooh I love Great Expectations and Neil Gaiman! You have great taste!"

Thanks Karin! I love Neil Gaiman but I would like to love (or at least to like) Charles Dickens. I read David Copperfield a few years ago and I didn't like it at all. I also read A Christmas Carol, it was OK. So now, I would like to read Great Expectations, I will take time to read it and hope to like it...

message 21: by Shevella (new)

Shevella (hummingbird14) | 170 comments Just went to the library and picked up P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern for our Irish female author month and Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen which was recommended to me by another Goodreads member.

message 23: by martin eden (new)

martin eden I've just come back from the library! I borrowed Life of Pi, Me Talk Pretty One Day (!!!!houray!), The Good Muslim (that I'm going to read for the TOTM (spirituality), Momo by Michael Ende. I also borrowed books for my daughters and my hubby (Asimov and Jack London; books that I've already read but I want him to discover).

message 24: by martin eden (new)

martin eden I went to the bookstore today ;-))
I bought:
Beartown by Frederick Backman (one of my favorite authors!)
New Boy by Tracy Chevalier
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

And I also went to the library and I borrowed books for the French Black History Month Challenge that I fixed on July:
Les marrons, Et les chiens se taisaient and Mets et merveilles!

message 25: by martin eden (new)

martin eden And I borrowed some books from my school library:
The Giver
Ready Player One
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
The Maze Runner
So great reads for July!

message 26: by FlowerTaisen (new)

FlowerTaisen | 2 comments Well I have gone a bit silly at used book stores within the last week.

Friends of the Library:
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) by Mercedes Lackey , Arrow's Flight (Heralds of Valdemar, #2) by Mercedes Lackey , The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo , Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2) by Robin Hobb , Tales from Ovid 24 Passages from the Metamorphoses by Ovid , The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick

Thrift shops:
The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani , Midnight Pearls A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Once Upon A Time, #4) by Debbie Viguié , Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Booksamillion (Clearance Section):
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman , Dark Shimmer by Donna Jo Napoli

Oh and all of my Inter-library loan books came in at once
Library:
A Bollywood Affair (Bollywood) by Sonali Dev , American Gods (American Gods #1) by Neil Gaiman , Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1) by Rosamund Hodge

message 27: by FlowerTaisen (new)

FlowerTaisen | 2 comments Shevella wrote: "Just went to the library and picked up P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern for our Irish female author month and Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen which was recommended to me by another Goodreads me..."

Garden Spells is a great read. I read it recently. Sort of magical realism, bit Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman , and some family drama.

message 28: by martin eden (new)

martin eden FlowerTaisen wrote: "Well I have gone a bit silly at used book stores within the last week.

Friends of the Library:
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) by Mercedes Lackey, Arrow's Flight (Heralds of Valdemar, #2) by Mercedes Lackey, [bookcover:The Tale of Desp..."

Waow FlowerTaisen! How long do you think it will take you to read all these books?