Beta / Proof Readers discussion

Betareading Services for Hire > Question about Paid Srvs

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hawkins | 9 comments Hi,
I've been beta reading forever and plan to branch out into freelance copy editing. What I'm wondering is, when you charge by the page, is it per page edited or per number of pages included in the manuscript? I'm trying to figure out the best way to charge and I can't find anything in this regard. I thought I'd bring it here and see if anyone can help me out. I appreciate it. Have a good one.

-Lisa

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna | 17 comments The people I've heard about charge by the word. Charging by the page could be difficult because you might have sentences that are single or double spaced, with small or larger font sizes, and blank lines between the chapters, etc. that could affect the number of pages.

Roughseasinthemed | 27 comments Yes, most people charge by the word at wildly varying rates. A few charge per page but that assumes a 250 word page, so it's just a variation on the per word price.

No one, that I know of, charges for pages edited only, the charge is for the whole MS.

Professional organisations recommend an hourly rate, which is well in excess of what many editors charge. Plus you need to be able to gauge how fast/slow you can edit.

It's a very competitive world, with lots of people wanting a piece of the cake: 'I have an English degree,' 'I'm a student and I want to make pocket money,' 'I was a teacher and marked essays,' 'I'm an author but my books aren't selling so I'll become an editor,' 'I read a lot therefore I can edit,' etc.

Beta reading and editing are not the same.

Are you planning on giving a book one edit or more than one? Are you including proofreading? Will you be following style guides? If so, which? Do you have a website/blog? What are your credentials/relevant qualifications/experience? Do you have another source of income/savings because you are unlikely to make enough to live on – a bit like writing. In other words, if you have a daytime job, don't give it up.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hawkins | 9 comments I really only want to branch into the copy editing and proofreading aspect of things. I've gained the experience from beta reading as my authors, well most of them, have asked me to go above and beyond what a normal beta read would include. I had no problem doing those things as I wanted the experience for this reason.

message 5: by Alechia (new)

Alechia (alechiadowcom) Lisa wrote: "I really only want to branch into the copy editing and proofreading aspect of things. I've gained the experience from beta reading as my authors, well most of them, have asked me to go above and be..."

When you start working as a copy editor, let us know! I'm looking for a beta reader/copy editor, assuming I could afford you :-)

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hawkins | 9 comments Ok, I certainly will.

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Milos Hi Lisa,

I charge a flat rate for authors based on word count/tiered. I find it's easier for clients and myself. I know a lot of editors who charge a flat rate instead of a word or page rate.

Roughseasinthemed | 27 comments Catherine wrote: "Hi Lisa,

I charge a flat rate for authors based on word count/tiered. I find it's easier for clients and myself. I know a lot of editors who charge a flat rate instead of a word or page rate."

I charge a flat rate too, but I read the full MS before quoting. You can read one or a few chapters that look ok and then later! Uf. Major probs basing on word count without knowing what level of input is involved.