Play Book Tag discussion

January 2017: Foreign Literature > The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende - 1 star

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nileema (new)

Nileema | 150 comments This book really disappointed. I hadn’t read anything by Allende before this, but I had high expectations based on reviews from her previous books.

The plot of ‘The Japanese Lover’ is meandering, in a way that should evoke a sense of nostalgia and romance, but falls hugely short; instead, it is disjointed and frustrating to read. It is difficult to connect to the protagonists, who come across wooden and their interactions feel false and contrived.
Some themes are reminiscent of ’The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet’ by Jamie Ford, who does a much, much better job of portraying a sense of time and place. I’d skip ‘The Japanese Lover’ and read ‘…Bitter and Sweet’ if the themes and general plot interest you.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8081 comments I actually loved the Japanese Lover. Thoughts done of her other books were more meandering. Funny, I have hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet out from he library as a high note read. I was going it would hit a high note for me.

message 3: by Nileema (new)

Nileema | 150 comments Ah I'm glad you enjoyed it Amy! Maybe I wanted to like so much that I was expecting too much from it and so couldn't find the good in it. I hope you like Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet as well!

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8081 comments I'll keep you posted. It's still in my hallway, so it in the next 10 reads. A few things proceed it.