Our Shared Shelf discussion

Book Suggestions > Book Suggestions to Help Understand/ Change the world

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aisling (new)

Aisling  (ashseer) | 7 comments Hello my lovely OSSers,

Before I get into the real topic of this post I just want to say how wonderful this group is. It's what I've always looked for in a reading group and I am so glad that it exists.

Now onto the real issues. As I'm sure you all know, the world is kind of going to hell and I am sad to say that I have been burying my head into the sand for a long time either out of pessimism or optimism but it's no longer ignorable. When Brexit happened, there had been a part of me that KNEW the worst outcome was going to happen and yet there was a little part of me that hoped for the best. When Trump got elected, it was the same. Because of the time difference, I went to bed when there was no results in and I went to bed with the realisation that I would wake up in the morning with the world either a different place (for the better, I don't know - but history would have been made) or an incredibly scary place. When Trump got elected and right before his inauguration, I thought maybe, just maybe, the electoral colleges would change their minds or that it was all a publicity hoax and Trump would stand down. That didn't happen. Before the inauguration I thought maybe Trump would surprise everyone and not stand by what he had said he would do. But he hasn't.

And now he has put through the 'Muslim Ban'. This is so shocking.

And then the Women's March happened and I was so in awe of everyone who marched. Sadly, I couldn't and I so so wanted to but I watched from my couch wishing there was something more I could do other than like posts and retweet but social media is an incredible tool... The only hurdle that I need to clear now: I need to educate myself more.

I'm looking for book suggestions. Below is a list of topics that I am interested in. I must say I've really been enjoying Half the Sky and the only reason I haven't finished is because I had to return it to the library :(:(:(:(:(

1. American Politics
2. American Rights History
3. International Rights
4. American Relations
5. President Biographies
6. Books about helping to change the world.

Thank you all so much in advance. I am Irish and I have minimum knowledge about American politics so any suggestions would be AMAZING!

I am so sorry for everyone who is affected by the way of the world, but you have a huge family here and we are all in this together with you xxx

message 2: by Brinlie (new)

Brinlie Jill (brinlietravels) | 9 comments I totally agree with what you're saying. I haven't read a lot on most of those topics but as far as #6 goes, I read The Activist's Handbook not too long ago! If you really want to get involved in the world I would say that it could be a good starting point! Sorry I'm not more help but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone. :)

message 3: by Clare (new)

Clare Keelan | 1 comments Aisling- totally agree with your suggestions.
I too am feeling the need to 'do something' but need to educate myself on the issues first.

Like you I was unable to join a march, and there are many physical protests etc. that I am unable to take part in.

Lets decide to do the best we can from where we are. Sharing how we feel about issues is a very good start!

I am starting The Everyday Activist by Michael Norton. It promises a treasury of motivation and ideas whether you have 2 minutes or 2 years to spare. Will let you know how I find it

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky Rice (beckyrice) | 16 comments Here's My Top 15.

A People's History of the United States
The New Jim Crow
The Bully Pulpit
Necessary Trouble
No One Is Illegal
Ghettoside
The Next American Revolution
Palante
Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work For Social Justice
This is an Uprising
American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America
Hope in the Dark
Freedom is a Constant Struggle
Looking Backward
Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States

message 5: by Brinlie (new)

Brinlie Jill (brinlietravels) | 9 comments I actually have two that I somehow forgot:
Just Mercy
and
It Can't Happen Here.
:)
Enjoy!

message 6: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (pebbles320) I recommend 'The Elephant in the Room' by Jon Ronson. It's more of an essay than a book (about 50 pages I think) and he wrote it after Trump was confirmed as the Republican nominee. It explains some of the key people who supported Trump right from the start and it helps make a little sense of how he got where he is.
I got it as a Kindle ebook, not sure if there are other ways to read it or not.

message 7: by Nahal (new)

Nahal | 2 comments Consider reading March by John Lewis. It's a trilogy of the Civil Rights movement. Takes you behind the scenes via graphic novel. It's relevant, wonderfully written and important. It would also be an excellent staple as part of our school curriculum.

message 8: by Aisling (new)

Aisling  (ashseer) | 7 comments Ahhh! Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to getting into all of these x ☺

message 9: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Aisling, brilliant you are reading up enjoy your journey but also do march, protest when you can. It is very life affirming to be doing something with what we have learned.

message 10: by Karlie (new)

Karlie | 2 comments I second Becky's list - I'm reading Necessary Trouble right now and I'm learning so much, and it does have a theme of instersectionality which is going to be so important to remember over the next few years. I have a couple more suggestions as well:

This Non-Violent Stuff'll Get You Killed - Charles E. Cobb
The History of White People - Nell Irvin Painter
#Newsfail - Jamie Kilstein & Allison Kilkenney
Shock Doctrine - Naomi Klein
This Changes Everything -Naomi Klein