UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2015-17 > Gay/Lesbian Fiction - February 2017

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Jan 30, 2017 03:28AM) (new)

Liz | 3388 comments Mod
Perhaps it should be LGBT to be fully inclusive? Hmm what to read? I might go for Patricia Highsmith's The Price of Salt or maybe something by Sarah Waters (I've really enjoyed her writing previously). I will do a little research....

The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 202 comments Orlando maybe?

Orlando by Virginia Woolf

message 3: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 355 comments Hm. I don't know here. Does this have to be written by a LGBT+ author and/or have an LGBT topic as the main point of the book, or is it enough that it has LGBT+ main characters? I have some books with gay and bi characters, but their sexual orientation isn't the reason for the story.

message 4: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Oooh I think I've got Carol by Patricia Highsmith, that's my Feb read sorted!!

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2689 comments I have Fingersmith by Waters. Does that qualify?

message 6: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3388 comments Mod
As ever, the genres are open to the broadest of interpretation. It can mean either the author is LGBT, or the character(s). But it's totally up to you. So yes to 'Orlando', 'Carol' and to 'Fingersmith'.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments I heard a review of Hide by Matthew Griffin on a podcast which sounded very good so I am waiting for it on inter library loan- plus it might make me reboot my US challenge with North Carolina.

message 8: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Jan 30, 2017 03:31AM) (new)

Liz | 3388 comments Mod
Still trying to decide... I've also got Christopher Isherwood's A Single Man and Jeanette Winterson's The Passion on my to read list....

A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood The Passion by Jeanette Winterson

message 9: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1302 comments Mod
This is a genre that I usually stumble across by accident rather than seek out books that fit.
I have The Bell on my TBR pile which has been put on some readers LGBT shelf so that will do for me. :)

The Bell by Iris Murdoch

message 10: by Alice (new)

Alice Mc I'm not sure I have anything on my shelf at the moment - will have to do some browsing at the library!

I have read Fingersmith and The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters so maybe another of her books. Would definitely recommend Fingersmith!

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2689 comments Thanks for the Fingersmith recommendation, Alice. I think that'll be my book.

message 13: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Liz wrote: "Still trying to decide... I've also got Christopher Isherwood's A Single Man and Jeanette Winterson's The Passion on my to read list....

A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood [..."

I loved both of those Liz! You could do both, they're pretty short...

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Think I'll be reading Confessions of a Mask which sounds really interesting.

message 15: by Mercia (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 605 comments Well I have Fingersmith in still not read years after buying it pile. Maybe I'll get to reduce by one the hundreds in that pile.

message 16: by Mercia (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 605 comments For those that like reading prize winners the Costa has just been won by the gay love story Days Without End by Sebastian Barry.

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments As per mercia I will also be reading Days Without End by Sebastian Barry as I managed to pick it up in the library yesterday.

message 18: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 202 comments It's Orlando then. I've heard that it's less difficult than some of her stuff. Will keep you posted

message 19: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3388 comments Mod
Thanks for reminding me of that one Mercia and Andrew. Sebastian Barry is one of my favourite authors.

message 20: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 202 comments Read Orlando. Wish I hadn't.

Was okay with it to start with then it just got more and more contrived and I wound up wanting to throw it at the wall.

Sorry to anyone who loved it. Just my humble....

Orlando by Virginia Woolf

message 21: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3388 comments Mod
I've never read it, Jane, and after your response, I'm in no hurry ;)

I did like the film though: strange but in a good way! and Tilda Swinton is always brilliant.

message 22: by Mercia (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 605 comments The thing to remember about Orlando is that it is not a novel, but an experimental biography. Or alternatively the longest lesbian love letter in history.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura If anyone hasn't yet decided on a book for this month I would recommend Confessions of a Mask if you're looking for something a little different. Just finished reading it (it's quite short) and found it very interesting. It's a semi-autobiographical novel about growing up gay in japan around about the time of the second world war.

message 24: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 353 comments Danielle wrote: "I suppose I will read A Perfect Waiter. Or maybe I go for non fiction with A Very English Scandal: Sex, Lies and a Murder Plot at the Heart of the Establishment"
A Very English Scandal looks interesting. I remember all the news about that when I was a little girl.

message 25: by Alice (new)

Alice Mc I'm almost done with Tipping the Velvet. My third Waters novel and I've found it the most explicit (giant Victorian leather strap-on anyone?!) but also a bit boring. It's more of a straightforward narrative rather than the clever plot twists in her later books. Unless something amazing happens in the last 5%...!

message 26: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Feb 24, 2017 04:09AM) (new)

Liz | 3388 comments Mod
Finished A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood. I really liked it - I must see if I can download the film to compare...

A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood

message 27: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 355 comments I'd almost forgotten about this topic! But I have read The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. Jemisin which, in addition to being an excellent post-(and pre-)apocalyptic, dystopian SFF, has side-characters that cover the G, B, and T of the LGBT+++ spectrum.

message 28: by Em (last edited Feb 25, 2017 07:02AM) (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Liz wrote: "Finished A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood. I really liked it - I must see if I can download the film to compare...

A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood"

I liked the film a lot - I thought it was quite beautiful - the aesthetics appealed to me. I saw it before I read it and you know, I usually prefer the book to the film but I'm not sure in this case, I think I liked them both equally but in different ways.

Carol is good, I'm nearly finished with reading it. That's another one where I've seen the film first - what am I doing?! It has meant that Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara have been cast in my minds eye.

message 29: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2689 comments I'm enjoying Fingersmith and at the moment, other than one small tidbit of a scene, not sure yet whether it will ultimately fit the category. Time will tell.. :)

message 30: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 371 comments I read 'A Perfect Waiter'

message 31: by Tania (new)

Tania | 999 comments Rough, Raw and Ready by Lorelei James a story about to gay cowboys men how come back together again along with a wife.

message 32: by Mercia (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 605 comments Day job keeping me busy so Fingersmith will have to wait for my One Word TItle challenge. March is shaping up just as busy as is April so its lucky I reduced my Goodreads Challenge from 100 to 50 books.

message 33: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophiesworld) | 67 comments That's still a lot of books, in my view :-)

message 34: by Julien (new)

Julien Sindt | 6 comments I've only just finished Fingersmith... At least I've still got about 1 week left to complete the March challenge!

message 35: by Tania (new)

Tania | 999 comments Shadow's Seduction by Kresley Cole, this paranormal book tells of the relation of a demon who denies his want of a vampire. Not Coles normal storyline her 1st M/M in this series but I think she covered it well.

message 36: by Esther (last edited Jun 13, 2017 05:44AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 353 comments Alice wrote: "I'm almost done with Tipping the Velvet. My third Waters novel and I've found it the most explicit (giant Victorian leather strap-on anyone?!) but also a bit boring. It's more of a ..."
My mother really enjoyed the TV adaptation and kept wanting me to watch it. I considered it for a while but then I read the blurb. Yeah not really the kind of TV that is suitable for watching with your parents (and I am still kind of traumatised by the fact that she really enjoyed the first two seasons of GoT!)
But in the right circumstances it might be worth me skipping the book and watching the TV series.
Which Waters would you recommend as her best? Fingersmith?