Goodreads Reviewers' Group discussion

Author Chat > Kirkus Review

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luke (last edited Jan 29, 2017 05:34AM) (new)

Luke Gracias | 12 comments Wondering if anyone has paid for a Kirkus review and had some insights into the value of getting one. Also if any one has used the promotional packages as well.

I am considering getting one done for my book and would appreciate any feedback. I searched this site and it seems some have used the editing services but could not find anything on reviews.

Thank You in Advance

Luke

message 2: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Ney | 8 comments Luke-
I paid for a Kirkus review of "Calamity Jane: How the West Began" right around the time of my release, and I am glad I did. Having a favorable review with them gives me legitimacy. I put an excerpt of their review up on my Amazon page from day one and put it on the door hanger I give out instead of a business card. The review did not translate into sales, and I did not buy anything other than the review (no marketing package), on the theory that the young adult readership would not be reached by Kirkus.
Bryan

message 3: by Luke (new)

Luke Gracias | 12 comments Bryan wrote: "Luke-
I paid for a Kirkus review of "Calamity Jane: How the West Began" right around the time of my release, and I am glad I did. Having a favorable review with them gives me legitimacy. I put an e..."

Thanks Bryan
I thought Kirkus reviews published their reviews on some very popular newsletter or something and that gave the book some visibility. Is this incorrect?

message 4: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Ney | 8 comments If you read their description of their service, you will see that your book is "available" for their editors to select for their newsletter. I imagine very few percentage-wise are actually selected. Mostly, your book is just in a searchable data base, if you go with the basic review.

message 5: by Luke (new)

Luke Gracias | 12 comments Bryan wrote: "If you read their description of their service, you will see that your book is "available" for their editors to select for their newsletter. I imagine very few percentage-wise are actually selected..."
Always the fine print! Thanks.

message 6: by Cora, Tea Party Princess (new)

Cora Tea Party Princess (corazie) | 661 comments Mod
As a reviewer/reader I never trust paid reviews, and take Kirkus reviews with a huge pinch of salt.

message 7: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 84 comments I always thought Kirkus was the place to be. I had no idea they're paid reviews. That explains a lot! Thanks for that:)

message 8: by Ariel (last edited Feb 24, 2017 03:42PM) (new)

Ariel C (missarielc) | 11 comments Its a paid service and does not directly translate into sales, but Kirkus is respected within the publishing industry.

Media outlets really like to quote from Kirkus reviews, sometimes journalists and PR firms even go as far as lazily pasting unedited content into an article for an established and prominent literary or newspaper publication.

For a debut, independent or self published author a favourable Kirkus review can be priceless in terms of credibility.
All of the big 5 publishers pay for Kirkus reviews for their authors and use the most catchy soundbites for interviews, posters and book covers.

message 9: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 84 comments I guess I misunderstood. It's a paid, credible review site. Thanks!