Play Book Tag discussion

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Cinder
Archives 2016-2017 > Cinder by Marissa Meyer- 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3751 comments The Hunger Games was so five years ago, then was Divergent. Now it's the Lunar Chronicles series. This first installment retells the story of Cinderella in a cool steampunk style atmosphere. A fun new way to tell a classic story, complete with cyborgs, sci-fi, and instead of the glass slipper-a robotic foot.

This was super fun. This series has been on my radar for a long time now, and I'm glad I finally made time for it. It's YA so nothing too complicated, and of course we already know the story of Cinderella, which made things a little predictable. But Meyers was clever enough to add side stories, wisely chose what to change from the original, and keep things interesting with the new world and it's intricacies. I liked the twist at the end, and the cliffhanger ensured I will be continuing the series. I'm not normally a sci-fi kind of girl, but this was just the basic themes of sci-fi-less actual science. Which I guess makes sense being YA.

I did wish there was more explanation on the world- why are cyborgs deemed "lesser"? The years are set in "T.E"- what does that stand for? What's the history behind the New Beijing? There were some references to Chinese food, but otherwise I really wanted to know more about this place! I pictured kind of like the Tokyo/SanFran hybrid in Big Hero 6...

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Sounds so great!

message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 7939 comments It's the steampunk that has kept me away from this one, though I love the cover, so that has tempted me a few times!

message 4: by annapi (last edited Jan 29, 2017 12:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

annapi | 4822 comments TE=Third Era. I enjoyed this and the next one, but the last book faltered. Felt like it got bigger and bigger, and then got away from her.

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3751 comments It's weird, I didn't even picture the foot like the cover picture at all. I guess I liked the world I created in my head better, lol.

I'm a little concerned about the other books in the series, just because they have to duel finishing up Cinder's plot lines and add a another character/story arc as well. But we'll see when I get around to Scarlet.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1264 comments From what I've heard, they'll shed light on a lot of this stuff in the rest of the series. I've read Cinder and loved it and I'm excited to read the others. I plan to get through the whole series this year. :)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I've read Scarlet (Red Riding Hood) - I liked it quite a bit, enough that I am planning to read Cress (Rapunzel) for my PopSugar Challenge prompt Steampunk.

You learn a lot more about the world in the second book, and I'm guessing even more in Cress and the last book Winter (Snow White)

message 8: by Karin (last edited Jan 30, 2017 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 6806 comments I have read all 4 books. You do learn more about the world book by book. While my daughters disagree heartily, I thought the first half of Scarlet weaker than the second half and the first and second books. Winter was too long and cold have been tightened up, but is necessary to read in order to finish the series. And you won't have to wait several years during a long pause between Cress and Winter as we did, since only 1 or 2 of them were out when we started reading these.