What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Alternate History (Alt-History fiction): Civil Rights movement starts in 1930's when conservative pastor sees a famous black opera singer being forced to use servants entrance/exit.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments here is anew one. The Civil Rights movement gets started in the 1930's when a very conservative christian/or mormon pastor sees a famous black opera singer forced to use the servants entrance/exit after just seeing her sing and being very moved by her. In reality he never saw her but in the althist collection of American alternate history he does.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38146 comments Mod
When did you read it? Author female or male? Remember the cover?

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
A long shot - The Time of Our Singing by Richard Powers?

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments No on the book but a valiant effort. Sorry no more info. I know i read within the last decade but that's all i have.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Still looking for this one; no new info at this time.

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2074 comments There's a list of alternate history stories listed by date of divergence - here's a link to the page covering the time period of interest http://www.uchronia.net/bib.cgi/diver...

Hope you find your story.

message 7: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5088 comments Was this a short story in a collection?

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2074 comments Would the singer be Marian Anderson? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_...

Maybe the preacher was William Jennings Bryan?

message 9: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5088 comments William Jennings Bryan wasn't a preacher. Maybe it was Father Coughlin.

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2074 comments Rosa wrote: "William Jennings Bryan wasn't a preacher. Maybe it was Father Coughlin."

Oops. You're right. Bryan did a bit of preaching but was primarily a politician.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Rosa wrote: "Was this a short story in a collection?"
Yes, I believe featuring American alternate short stories. Not William Jennings Bryant

message 12: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5088 comments Could it have been Father Coughlin?

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments I do not believe so

message 14: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2074 comments Mike Resnick has edited a series of alternate history anthologies, such as "Alternate Presidents" and "By Any Other Fame" - one of them might have your story.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments I have all of them I believe; I'll check but I thought not.

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments still looking

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Still looking for this one

message 18: by Kris (last edited May 03, 2020 09:18AM) (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
I added more plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app.

Note: Read approx. between 2007-2017 (re: message 4).

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Marion Anderson is likely the singer but nothing popped on the Uchronia site

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Time of Our Singing (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard Powers (other topics)