Eco-fiction discussion

Silent Spring and Amazon recommendations

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 68 comments Silent Spring

I put Silent Spring by Rachel Carson, Linda Lear (Goodreads Author) (Introduction), Edward O. Wilson (Afterword), on my To Read list.

When I came back to the main screen it was suggesting that I read Silent Spring at 50: The False Crises of Rachel Carson
by Roger Meiners (Editor), Pierre Desroches (Editor), Andrew P. Morriss.

There are 46 choices that come up when I put Silent Spring in the search books box. I can see two books with a negative interpretation of Silent Spring.

What are the chances of The False Crises of Rachel Carson coming up as another book to read since I indicated I wanted to read Silent Spring. 1 out of 46? I wouldn't have looked at it twice since I don't look at goodreads recommendations because they usually just seem to throw titles up on the screen. Sometimes you can't make the connection between what you read and what they recommend. It did stick out as I could plainly see The False Crises of Rachel Carson, which seemed like an odd recommendation.

I tried refreshing the screen multiple times to see what else came up. Most of the choices were close to the original book read. I only got a few choices from subjects instead of actual books. But none of it was about environmental topics. One case of historical fiction. Science came up once as a subject. That showed science fiction books not science books. I have few science books in my read list but a lot more science fiction, so I guess the goodreads made a simple mistake, it transformed the word science into science fiction.

The The False Crises of Rachel Carson has 1 text review, 10 ratings, way down on the number of books with the highest numbers, but there were many that had less than 10 ratings. I thought that's interesting, perhaps goodreads is trying to boost a book with a low number of ratings instead of more books with higher numbers of ratings.

I looked at amazon to see what was listed on the The False Crises of Rachel Carson book page. There were more ratings there, 55 percent of the ratings were 1 and 2 stars.

Amazon has a listing that says Frequently Bought Together, and that showed Silent Spring and The False Crises of Rachel Carson were frequently bought together.

When you look at the amazon book page for Silent Spring, the books also looked at by amazon customers are in agreement with with Silent Spring, not rebuttals like you see on the The False Crises of Rachel Carson amazon page.

Perhaps that's where goodreads got the idea that The False Crises of Rachel Carson was a good book to read along with Silent Spring.

message 2: by Charlene (new)

Charlene D'Avanzo | 12 comments wow - thanks for looking into this!

message 3: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Arthur Reminds me of Michael Crichton's anti-climate change book that came up a few years ago with George Monbiot's book Heat. The people who do the cataloging maybe do it by subject only, regardless of stance? The book The Truax versus The Lorax?
Unfortunately, there are many examples of books that present "alternative facts" but I think most intelligent people see through it. Be prepared for more under the current "administration"?

message 4: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Arthur Charlene wrote: "wow - thanks for looking into this!"
Agree!

Robert wrote: "Silent Spring

I put Silent Spring by Rachel Carson, Linda Lear (Goodreads Author) (Introduction), Edward O. Wilson (Afterword), on my To Read list.

When I came back to the main scre..."

Robert wrote: "Silent Spring

When I came back to the main scre..."