The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2017 > Team Peeta Mellark

Comments Showing 1-50 of 855 (855 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 28, 2017 05:13PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
Team Peeta Mellark

Team Members:

♦Leah (Captain)
♦Karen D (Co-captain)
♦Cecily
♦Kirby
♦Shanna
♦Jane
♦Tammie
♦Kari Ann

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 12, 2017 01:45PM) (new)

“I love pity parties. I wish I'd brought hats"
― Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Apr 13, 2017 05:49PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Kirby (last edited Jan 29, 2017 06:04AM) (new)

Kirby (kirbym) | 27 comments Checking in! Yay, team!

Link to my shelf: 2017-uno

message 6: by Tammie (last edited Jan 28, 2017 09:48PM) (new)

Tammie | 639 comments Checking in...this is my first time playing UNO but I've done quite a few other challenges...I'm new to this group. Looking forward to it!
I live in Missouri...Central Time Zone I sell Real Estate...this time of year is slower for me, so I do read quite a bit during these colder months.
I read mostly Romance novels...prefer suspense or historical. I'll read Fates and Furies soon...looking forward to next Black Dagger Brotherhood...#15 in the series I think.
Looks like we already have cards!

Link to my shelf: tammie's uno shelf

message 7: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 140 comments Hi, checking in. I've not done UNO before, but I have done one big team challenge on another board. I'm excited about joining

Here's my UNO shelf.

I'll read pretty much anything, especially if it has action, though I'd rather stay away from cozy mysteries. My favourites are survival of any sort, dystopian, science fiction and fantasy.

I live in Ontario- Eastern Time Zone and I market garden for a living, growing vegetables and selling them at local markets.

message 8: by Kirby (new)

Kirby (kirbym) | 27 comments Are we allowed to start? I just finished a book I'd like to put on the shelf?

message 9: by Tammie (last edited Jan 29, 2017 06:55AM) (new)

Tammie | 639 comments Looking at the rules...we can't use any books started before feb 1st...we can strategize though. Looking at other teams shelves for ideas is probably a good start. Id'ing and getting decisions on who's reading what...and I think a master list of what we need might be good. I have to work most of today...but will have time to put to anything needed tomorrow...maybe later tonight...I'll check in again later...

message 10: by Karen D (new)

Karen D | 49 comments Hi team! This is also my first time doing UNO, though it sounds like a lot of fun. And I am so excited about our team name. :)

Here's my shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 11: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Jan 29, 2017 06:24PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 140 comments I could make a planning shelf for Uno for putting my potential books on if that would help.

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane | 231 comments Hi Team.

I am from Denmark and though I have taken part in a lot of challenges I have never done UNO before

my Uno shelf

message 13: by Cecily (new)

Cecily Shea | 142 comments Hello! Greetings from near Boston, Massachusetts. I am so excited to participate although I have never played.

message 14: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments Leah & Karen - You have both been invited to the captains group, you can use that for team planning and questions.
Also, don't forget to open up your team spreadsheet and "request access" for edit rights!

message 15: by Kari Ann (new)

Kari Ann | 9 comments Just checking in!!! First time doing a challenge!!!

message 16: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 639 comments Question: In looking at the planning sheet and our cards, I'm guessing that a Wild card book would be best? ( 30 points)

Also, in reading some of the other teams' dialogue I'm think shorter books for the most part are tge better strategy...

I'm working on looking for books that I can contribute to the first couple of cards.

Also, I saw quite a bit of emphasis on having no books started until 2/1 and no books in our uno shelfs until then...

message 17: by Karen D (new)

Karen D | 49 comments Ok, so if I'm reading the rules correctly, we'd have to skip Hand 1 to get to a hand that has a Wild card. Since we can plan ahead for the first hand I think we should just do it and get books lined up so we can get through them quickly to move on to Hand 2, where we have a wild card. But if others have played Uno before and have other ideas on strategy, open to other thoughts!

If we do hand 1, here are the cards:
Reverse
Skip
Draw 2

And here's here's where the description of each card is (also available on the spreadsheet)

message 18: by Tammie (last edited Jan 29, 2017 08:03PM) (new)

Tammie | 639 comments Another Q:
In hand 3 we have 2 'draw 2' and 1 'wild' ...can we use one book for all three?

message 19: by Tammie (last edited Jan 29, 2017 08:08PM) (new)

Tammie | 639 comments Karen wrote: "Ok, so if I'm reading the rules correctly, we'd have to skip Hand 1 to get to a hand that has a Wild card. Since we can plan ahead for the first hand I think we should just do it and get books line..."

I think we can work on multiple hands can't we? We just have to finish the hand in front to get the points for the next...could be totally wrong on this though...I've not played...I think there is a link for captains to ask questions though...

message 20: by Tammie (last edited Jan 29, 2017 08:13PM) (new)

Tammie | 639 comments When I played Wobble...we tried to work ahead in the beginning so we weren't waiting on the next books to read. Depending on how fast you read...example...
I read about 4 books a week...ideally I'd work to have 1 or 2 books beyond what I'm reading planned out...whereas some who reads 1 book per week might not call out their next book until two days before they are ready,.this keeps things moving along so to speak...the goal is to have fun...but it's also gratifying to move the team forward...just thoughts...

message 21: by Kari Ann (new)

Kari Ann | 9 comments I am a little confused I can't find my name on the spreadsheet...help...I know I have filled out the form at least twice...

message 22: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 140 comments The link on the sign up form took a lot of people to the 2016 uno sheet. Here's a link to the 2017 one https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Is that you at the bottom?

message 23: by Kari Ann (new)

Kari Ann | 9 comments THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

message 24: by Kirby (new)

Kirby (kirbym) | 27 comments For round 1, books I have that fit:

4: has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with F
2001: A Space Odyssey: Dr. Heywood Floyd

Reverse: Shanna has read Redshirts which is on my to-read list. Cecily has read The Perfume Collector which is on my to-read list. Jane has read Old Man's War and Never Let Me Go which are on my to-read list.

Skip: has an author first name or surname starts with K or P
The Godless by Ben Peek

message 25: by Tammie (last edited Jan 30, 2017 09:20AM) (new)

Tammie | 639 comments Hey everyone...while we are waiting for our captains to check in...let's all take Kirby's lead and list a few of the books you really want to start with...maybe tell our group how many books you can read in a week...

On my 'to-read' shelf I have books for--some work for multiple:
4-F: Fates and Furies, A Real Cowboy Never Walks Away
6-S: Shadow Dance, A Real Cowboy Never Walks Away
Rev: Cariann and Jane have both read The Fault in Our Stars and that's on my 'to-read' shelf...this could also work for '4'...if we 'friend' each other we can compare our books for this one...
Skip K-P: Golden Trail...this one is a 'hunk-ster' of a book...but I really want to read it

Depending on the size of the book...I'll ready 3-4 a week...if we have this info...we can figure out how many cards we are able to finish for the month...will help with working ahead a bit.

message 26: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 140 comments I've created some custom shelves for UNO and started sorting the books that are available to my through my Library's digital collection. For example, here's my shelf for everything that fits the 4 card. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... I'll be able to quickly glance though and hopefully find something available for each card.

Probably I'll read 1-2 books a week. Possibly more. I have absolutely no preference in what I read next. The reason I join challenges is that I have such a hard time picking something out, and this gives me some structure to do it.

I'll be good to wait until everyone that has books that they want to read fit them in and then take what's left.

message 27: by Karen D (new)

Karen D | 49 comments For the first hand, I have A Monster Calls out from the library - it's really short, and it works for two of the cards (Reverse - looks like Jane read it) and Skip (Patrick Ness is author) -> which lets it work as a Draw 2 card.

message 28: by Jane (last edited Jan 30, 2017 11:15PM) (new)

Jane | 231 comments Karen wrote: "For the first hand, I have A Monster Calls out from the library - it's really short, and it works for two of the cards (Reverse - looks like Jane read it) and Skip (Patrick Ness is a..."

Have some tissues ready, I cried in it. The movie has just come out late last year but it didn't come to a cinema near me unfortunately.

message 29: by Karen D (new)

Karen D | 49 comments Jane wrote: "Karen wrote: "For the first hand, I have A Monster Calls out from the library - it's really short, and it works for two of the cards (Reverse - looks like Jane read it) and Skip (Pat..."

Oh wow, good to know, I never would have expected that from the book description. I'll make sure I don't bring that in to read during my lunch break then :)

message 30: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Jan 31, 2017 05:32AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 140 comments Looks like we still need one for 7. I could read A Virgin River Christmas for it.

Or I could read Flash Fire For 4.

Or I'm happy to find a book for another card on this hand or start on the next hand.

message 31: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 639 comments I think I'll start with 'skip'. I'm sure it could be used for something else if needed...

message 32: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 140 comments I see some of the other boards have a planning spreadsheet. Is that something we are able to do?

message 33: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 639 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "I see some of the other boards have a planning spreadsheet. Is that something we are able to do?"

I think something like that would be great...would keep us organized...I'm not very good at putting those things together...I can link, etc...but crafting those things makes my head spin! Let me know if I can help in an 'inspirational' sort of way... ;)

message 34: by Leah (new)

Leah (astratlife) | 169 comments Hi guys,

My deepest apologies, things have been a bit crazy on my side. I am just going to play catch up and I will get back to you all in a bit.

Again I am sorry for my delay.

L

message 35: by Leah (last edited Jan 31, 2017 04:23PM) (new)

Leah (astratlife) | 169 comments Ok Ladiess I have worked out the first hand based on your earlier discussion.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Kirby

Reverse
A Monster Calls - Karen

Skip
A Monster Calls - Karen

Leaders Eat Last - Leah

Draw 2
A Monster Calls - Karen

A Virgin River Christmas - Shanna

Ok so I have Cecily, Jane and Keri-Ann who have not specified which books they will be starting with

and

We have 4 in the first hand that needs a book

Have fun ladies ;-)

L

message 36: by Kari Ann (new)

Kari Ann | 9 comments Would Grey be considered the 4th in the series? If so I can read that for the 4 for our hand!

message 37: by Leah (last edited Jan 31, 2017 04:34PM) (new)

Leah (astratlife) | 169 comments Also here is our link to the teams planning spreadsheet...

As you list the books that you want to read I will fill it all in and you can request changes as needed.

Team Spreadsheet

L

message 38: by Kari Ann (new)

Kari Ann | 9 comments Per Goodreads Grey is the 4th in the series! Put me down for Grey for 4!!!

message 39: by Kirby (new)

Kirby (kirbym) | 27 comments Leah wrote: "Also here is our link to the teams planning spreadsheet...

As you list the books that you want to read I will fill it all in and you can request changes as needed.

Team Spreadsheet

L"

It looks like Monster Calls is in three spaces. Are we allowed to do that or are you just putting a place holder in the spots where it fits depending on what other books we use to fill the other gaps?

message 40: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 140 comments The draw 2 card allows you to use one book for 2 cards and get points for both. I don't think there's points for the draw 2 card itself.

message 41: by Kirby (new)

Kirby (kirbym) | 27 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "The draw 2 card allows you to use one book for 2 cards and get points for both. I don't think there's points for the draw 2 card itself."

Ahhhh, makes sense! Thanks!!

message 42: by Leah (last edited Jan 31, 2017 06:58PM) (new)

Leah (astratlife) | 169 comments Updated Reading List for 1st HAND

Reverse
A Monster Calls - Karen

Skip
A Monster Calls - Karen

Grey (Fifty Shades, #4) - KerriAnn

Leaders Eat Last - Leah

Draw 2
A Monster Calls - Karen (No points for Draw 2 but applied to Skip and Reverse)

A Virgin River Christmas - Shanna

Ok so I have Cecily, and Jane who have not specified which books they will be starting with.

Team Spreadsheet

Have fun ladies ;-)

L

message 43: by Leah (new)

Leah (astratlife) | 169 comments Hi Cecily and Jane,

You both can help us get moving on the 2nd HAND

Skip
Golden Trail - Tammie

Wild

Team Spreadsheet

Thanks

L

message 44: by Leah (last edited Jan 31, 2017 07:19PM) (new)

message 45: by Tammie (last edited Feb 01, 2017 07:44AM) (new)

Tammie | 639 comments Leah wrote: "Ok Ladiess I have worked out the first hand based on your earlier discussion.

Reverse
A Monster Calls - Karen

Skip
A Monster Calls - Karen

6 ..."

I may not be understanding the rules...but I don't believe one book can be used for 3 cards??

I can't wait to get started...it's going to be great getting to know everyone and learning about some great books!

Ruby Tuesday

message 46: by Leah (new)

Leah (astratlife) | 169 comments Important Information

✧ Dates of Game ~ February 1, 2017 ~ April 30, 2017

The challenge starts on Wednesday February 1, 2016 at 7pm AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time). To see when this is in your time zone, use this countdown

✧ Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count.

✧ Your finished books need to be on your Uno shelf AND marked as "read" with a read date during the challenge for them to count.

✧ Books must be more than 100 pages in length and Children's books and Graphic Novels can not be used unless by word count they can be verified as more than 25,000 words using arbookfind.com

✧ Series numbers used are 1 to 9, and stand alone books counts as 0.

✧ Please make notes of how your book may count. The more options we have the better! (Letters used in UNO are Z,O,T,H,F,I,V,E,S,N,K,P and of course if another team member has read the book before. Please friend our team members!)

✧ This is a social challenge, not a competitive one. We'd love to get points, but the main aim of the game is to have fun, read lots and get to know each other :)

message 47: by Leah (last edited Jan 31, 2017 07:40PM) (new)

Leah (astratlife) | 169 comments Hi Guys,

Can you please share your UNO-Shelf for for this years challenge.
I have also set up your Planning Spreadsheet and would love to share it with you.

TEAM PETER MELLARK UNO PLANNING SPREADSHEET

Click the link above and send me a request to edit.

L

message 48: by Kirby (new)

Kirby (kirbym) | 27 comments I think most of us posted links already?

Here's mine again :)

2017-uno

message 49: by Leah (new)

Leah (astratlife) | 169 comments Kirby wrote: "I think most of us posted links already?

Here's mine again :)

2017-uno "

Thank you Kirby; I have also given you access to the Planning Spreadsheet

L

message 50: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 639 comments Leah wrote: "Hi Guys,

Can you please share your UNO-Shelf for for this years challenge.
I have also set up your Planning Spreadsheet and would love to share it with you.

TEAM PETER MELLARK UNO PLANNING SPRE..."

My link is in post #6

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18