Play Book Tag discussion

84, Charing Cross Road
This topic is about 84, Charing Cross Road
22 views
Archives 2016-2017 > 84, Charing Cross Road / Helene Hanff. 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8115 comments This is a series of letters sent between the author in New York and a bookseller in England (and some of his staff), from 1949 to 1969.

It was ok, but I didn’t see anything special in this. I didn’t particularly like some of Helen’s interactions (chastising the bookseller for not sending the *exact* thing she wanted). I found the mailing of meat overseas a bit odd. I realize there was a shortage and rations, but still odd. At least it was quick to read.


message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Oh no! I thought you'd like this much more!
Ah well quick read, and works for a 'High Note' for last year.


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I am currently reading 84, Charing Cross Road, so I'll come back and look at your comments after completing the book.


LibraryCin | 8115 comments Lisa Ann ✿ wrote: "I am currently reading 84, Charing Cross Road, so I'll come back and look at your comments after completing the book."

I'm guessing you'll like it better than I did. Most people seem to have!


message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8278 comments I loved it, thought it was quite charming. It made my top 15.


Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2178 comments I read this quite a few years ago and I loved it. I understand what you mean about her chastising but I always marked it up to her singular personality. I thought she was a bit of a loner and wasn't a warm and fuzzy person although through the letters, I felt her change. As far as the meat being shipped, if I recall correctly, that might have been tinned meat?? Not very unusual in that period - they would have shipped it overseas for soldiers too.


LibraryCin | 8115 comments Tinned meat - that makes more sense!


Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5630 comments And I think she was getting the tinned meat (and other goodies) shipped from some place in Europe ... Denmark? Holland?


message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 30, 2017 01:40PM) (new)

LibraryCin wrote: " Lisa Ann ✿ wrote: "I am currently reading 84, Charing Cross Road, so I'll come back and look at your comments after completing the book."

I'm guessing you'll like it better than I did. Most peopl..."


Sorry, yep I did like it a lot. I just finished, so haven't posted anything in PBT yet or written a review but I gave it 5 stars.

I do agree that Hanff's sense of humor took a while to get used to. Thankfully (it seems?) the recipients of her letters weren't offended or got used to it, too. :-)


message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "And I think she was getting the tinned meat (and other goodies) shipped from some place in Europe ... Denmark? Holland?"

Hanff refers to fresh farm eggs sent from Denmark and some food parcels/cured meat sent through an Overseas Association (pg. 21)


LibraryCin | 8115 comments Lisa Ann ✿ wrote: "Hanff refers to fresh farm eggs sent from Denmark and some food parcels/cured meat sent through an Overseas Association (pg. 21) ..."

Thank you! I missed that! I do also remember something about "dried eggs".


back to top