✨ Adults Who Read YA ✨ discussion

February - Iron Cast

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina (dinobrarian) | 697 comments Mod
For the end of January and through February, we will be reading a book that I consider "magical historical fiction." It's set in the 1920s and has magic. It looks pretty fun and it's another one I picked up at the Teen Author Fest in Cambridge in September (2016).

I love the cover!

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) Just ordered this from library, hopefully it comes through soon!!! I've been waiting since forever for 3 others .. hate that

message 3: by Christina (new)

Oh no! Are they newer, popular titles? Every library is different. Some lend them to their patrons first, which can make waiting take longer if you're from another library.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) Yeah, they're all new releases - one I ordered December even though it wasnt released yet - Caraval - just to get on wait list oooh and it looks like that one has shipped finally!!!!!!!! as well as this book now that I looked at my page.. only 2 left to wait for - Ever the Hunted and The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett

message 5: by Christina (new)

I've heard really good things about both of those and definitely want to read The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett.

I LOVED Caraval. That was one I picked up at BEA last year and read it first. SO good! Maybe that could be our March read....

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) I like the beginning of this book ......hope to finish it in the next 10 days !

I heard it was good - I have both books at my house now, have to do up a reading plan to plan out my pages/day to read before they go back to library

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) Partway into this - feels a little like this savage song ... not in a punishing death way but in a different way music plays into things, like it

message 8: by Christina (new)

I'm having a little bit of a hard time with it. It's quirky, which is grat, but I think I'm juggling too many books lol.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) im at page 255 now it gets more "exciting" ...yeah i am doing a forced page count read but still enjoy it. im also reading a few others it always muddles things i find as well you get into one and one gets thrown on back burner

message 10: by Christina (new)

That's exactly what it is. I just read A Gathering of Shadows and my brain just really wants A Conjuring of Light to be published. I might have to do a forced page count too.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) I'm finishing it tonight! I think I have 40 pages left it's due back at library on the 27th, have to read Caraval before that (which is 400 pages) and got Everything Everything on it's way (since I saw the movie trailer yesterday) lol still have to finish the audio book of insignia too within the next 5 days

Honestly, once you get into the story it goes by quicker - after a certain point the action picks up and it gets way more exciting, you can do it!

message 12: by Christina (new)

Book questions:
1) What did you think of the use of magic in the world?
2) Did you have a favourite/least favourite character?
3) What did you think about the pace? The action? did it feel like a YA novel?
4) The setting mentions once that it is set in Boston and makes several street mentions. Did you think the setting was important to the story or could it have been set somewhere else?
5) Other questions?

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) 1) What did you think of the use of magic in the world?

It was there.. I like the magic itself, the world was meh .. I think it would have been more interesting like to where the book was headed making it about the prohibition .. for some reason I liked that line of reading
2) Did you have a favourite/least favourite character? I liked the painter boy .. no idea why .. just did!
3) What did you think about the pace? The action? did it feel like a YA novel? slow pace, did pick up toward the middle/end though got more action and spice! Was more adultish to me well some scenes anyway depends how old the Young adult that's reading it is some of it was quite descriptive
4) The setting mentions once that it is set in Boston and makes several street mentions. Did you think the setting was important to the story or could it have been set somewhere else? it could have been on the moon for all I paid attention to the setting
5) Other questions? I like the asylum part of it.. perhaps I need to find a book based in that totaly, I was totaly into that for some reason?... I also didnt think I"d like the old timeyness but I kind of did

message 14: by Christina (new)

Oh mylanta, I thought that too! It might have had teen characters, but it felt like more of an adult read! I think that's why i couldn't get into it, as the action stacked itself for later on.

Asylum reads are definitely interesting. For books about getting in someone's head, I would recommend The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich. For books about asylums, I recommend A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis.