The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Theme Challenge 2017 > Valentine's Day (Romance / Saints) - February 2017

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Quest Hound (last edited Jan 28, 2017 09:38AM) (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
"Valentine's Day" is our chosen theme for February. You may read any book, fiction or nonfiction, that relates to either romance or saints.

What will you be reading? Any suggestions?

message 2: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
I think I am going to start The Adventurer Quartet. It's a series about four brothers who are all on ships, and the mystery they all have to solve, and the women they fall in love with along the way

message 3: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (last edited Jan 30, 2017 11:03AM) (new)

Rosemarie | 3933 comments Mod
I am going to do two plays by Shakespeare:
The Taming of the Shrew andAntony and Cleopatra
A comedy and a tragedy.

message 4: by Goga (new)

Goga  Bibiluri | 2 comments I am going to read The Brothers Karamazov and Homo Faber

message 5: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Brothers Karamazov is a great book, my co-favourite book by Dostoevsky, with The Idiot. I studied Homo Faber in university( a long time ago now).

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments I am slowing going through the Iliad. If a war caused by some guy stealing someone else's girlfriend isn't romance, I don't know what is.

message 7: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

LOL Chase! I may just have to dig out my copy of the Iliad and Odsey together now!

message 8: by Cherie (new)

Cherie Ah Valentines Day... what a cheery holiday for us single folks! LOL Rosemarie I love your plan to read Shakespeare. Maybe I'll break out Romeo and Juliet ;)

message 9: by Su (new)

Su (suzsiyah) | 1 comments I would love some recommendations!!! Preferably something romantic that is upbeat and modern! Just finished Pretty Little World.

message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments Jenny wrote: "LOL Chase! I may just have to dig out my copy of the Iliad and Odsey together now!"

At first I was HATING this book, but after showing it to my husband, he suggested trying a different translation. He was so right, because after picking up a better translation, I'm much happier with the book and absorbing so much more.

message 11: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I am glad you found a better translation. It is quite a story.

message 12: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4727 comments Mod
Oh, that's so true! I used to underestimate the power of translation, but it makes such a difference!

message 13: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments First, I applaud Rosemarie's choices, the Shakespeare plays.

Second, I'm going to read Rachel Ray by Anthony Trollope, a simple romantic story set in the nineteenth century. This was tricky because I am not a fan of romances per se.

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 851 comments Just finished Trying to Score and now starting Sweet Revenge

message 15: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette | 166 comments My favorite romance novel and movie, Out of Africa. Every time I watch that movie I cry.

message 16: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I need to watch that again. It really was a terrific love story.

message 17: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments I read The Selection by Kiera Cass to see what my daughter was reading these days. Yikes. Not something I would recommend for any teen/pre-teen. Though at least the main character is more of an individual and stands up for herself a little.

message 18: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1224 comments Out of Africa was a love story? I was young when I saw the movie. I remember nothing about it. I remember falling asleep. I think I want to revisit that.

message 19: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I recently read Out of Africa. The author never states that Dennis Finch-Hadden(?spelling) is her lover, but he was in fact. Parts of the book were better than others, for sure.

message 20: by Dana (new)

Dana (danapd) Romance - Sweet Tomorrows (Rose Harbor #5) by Debbie Macomber

message 21: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1224 comments I actually just started The Heir this morning which is the 4th book in the Selection series. I actually like the series. What can I say guilty pleasure.

message 22: by Wei-Ting (new)

Wei-Ting (skivemednugatti) When in French: Love in a Second Language was recommended to me by a friend. Since my husband and I both speak a second language to each other, this will be an interesting read.

message 23: by Wren (new)

Wren Lazarus | 6 comments Passenger by Alexandra Bracken
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

(I am side-reading National Geographic - Gender Revolution and The Book of Shadows by Nicola de Pulford).

message 24: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I finished The Taming of the Shrew. There were two marriages-Kate and Petruchio, Bianca and Lucentio.

I had never read this play before and really didn't like it. I am sure it is funny to watch, but has to be one of the most blatantly sexist plays I have read.

message 25: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments I just finished Rachel Ray, a very good story about two lovers kept apart for most of the book by a small town's backward ways. To think, I would have missed it if it wasn't for this challenge.

message 26: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Trollopes so wonderful! Moving RachelRay up on my list. :)

message 27: by Krysta (new)

Krysta MacDonald (krystamacdonald) | 9 comments I read The Fault in Our Stars, since I hadn't yet and it was so largely touted as super romantic.

message 28: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Did you find it to be super romantic as touted?

message 29: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 851 comments Just finished Sweet Revenge and the newest Eve Dallas Echoes in Death - liked the first and LOVED the second.

On to a few more before the end of the month...

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine | 20 comments I read a book called Flirting with Felicity. It is a cute romance that I started last year and went back to it to finish this year. It is a cute book of romance..Just happy to have finish it.

message 31: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Finished The Lady's Command. It was a good adventure romance. I hope to finish the second book in the series, A Buccaneer At Heart, this month as well. I am also working on Shirley by Charlotte Bronte.

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine | 20 comments Read a romantic Comedy called Five Minutes Late by Rich Amooi. This was a cute little book. Simple and perfect for this month of Romance. :)

message 33: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 50 comments Read Our Souls at Night

More than one list had this as a Valentine read and I agree.

Especially for us 70 somethings (!), it is touching and revealing!!

message 34: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 21 comments Reading Alaska Skies Brides for Brothers / The Marriage Risk by Debbie Macomber :)

message 35: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments I finished One Good Friend Deserves Another by Lisa Verge Higgins which had a MPG as Romance. A cute Chick-lit easy to read book.

message 36: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 851 comments Okay, I give up...what's an MPG?

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 851 comments Finished Falling for Jillian and working on Empty Net

message 38: by Sam F (last edited Feb 18, 2017 05:13AM) (new)

Sam F | 198 comments MPG means Main Page Genre - I just get lazy writing it. It's what would be written as the genres on Goodreads page for the book.

message 39: by Krysta (new)

Krysta MacDonald (krystamacdonald) | 9 comments Read Northanger Abbey today. Nothing like Austen for some romance!

message 40: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Northanger Abbey is a fun book-such a sweet love story.

message 41: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 813 comments Finished A Room with a View - E.M. Forster, which I really enjoyed.

message 42: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I like that book too. I am glad the main character made the right choice.

message 43: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 851 comments Finished Empty Net - now on to Cold Mountain

message 44: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Finished Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare.
That one didn't have a happy ending.

message 45: by Cindy (new)