Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

February - BADASS FEMALES > Post your reviews here

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Finished one of your February book club reads? Post your reviews here!

Notes:
- Please add the title of the book you've reviewed
- Should only be reviews of books you've read with the book club in mind

message 2: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
I read Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
Click here for my review!
Great story! Love this world and totally recommend this duo-logy to anyone :) Inej and Nina were my badass females in this book and they didn't disappoint!

message 3: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I read Six of Crows and here is my review.
Even though I didn't like Inej, she seems to be a badass. And so does Nina!

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I finished Apprentice by Rachel E. Carter and you can find my short review here. I will also post a full review on my blog.

message 5: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I'm not writing a review, but I've just finished What's a Girl Gotta Do? and it was a solid 4-star read and the perfect ending to a great series. ^_^

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I've just finished Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston and you can find my review here.

I thought Hermione, the main character in the book, was incredibly badass, in her own special way. I don't think I've ever admired a character more. This book took me by surprise in a lot of ways and I'm so glad I read this!

Depending on all the other books on my TBR, I will try and find another book to read for the book club this month :)

Michelle (Scarborg) (scarborg) | 6 comments I just posted my review of A Darker Shade of Magic, and absolutely LOVED Lila -- she definitely fits the bill of badass female character ;)

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I LOVED A Darker Shade of Magic! Can't wait for the final book in the trilogy to be released, and now I feel like doing a reread :p

message 9: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Michelle (FaerieFits) wrote: "I just posted my review of A Darker Shade of Magic, and absolutely LOVED Lila -- she definitely fits the bill of badass female character ;)"

Lila is one of the first characters I thought of when coming up with this theme! :)

message 10: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments I did some kind of review for CARAVAL on goodreads by the real review is coming soon.

message 11: by Muse-ic ♬ (last edited Feb 11, 2017 12:16PM) (new)

Muse-ic ♬ Here is my five star fangirly review for Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo.
I died. I am utterly and completely heartbroken, yet happy, yet sad, yet SO CONFUSED!!! I'm no longer functioning properly.

message 12: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I've just posted my full review of Apprentice on my blog. You can find it here.

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Muse-ic wrote: "Here is my five star fangirly review for Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo.
I died. I am utterly and completely heartbroken, yet happy, yet sad, yet SO CONFUSED!!! I'm no longer functioning properly."

I have a question! Have you read Leigh Bardugo's Crooked Kingdom duology? Because I read those books but not the Grisha trilogy, because I'd heard it wasn't necessary to read them first. I've heard very mixed reviews about the Grisha books (some people seem to love them, some hate them) and I had decided not to bother with them, but I'm really curious regardless because I enjoyed reading about the Grisha in Bardugo's other books.

I guess I'm looking for someone who has read both series to tell me whether I should read them or not? :)

message 14: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Cathy wrote: "I have a question!..."

I have read both her Six of Crows duology and her Grisha trilogy. I enjoyed the duology better than the series but I still really liked the Grisha trilogy. I don't remember the Grisha trilogy having multiple POV's like Six of Crows but they each read pretty well. The thing I liked about the Grisha trilogy was you got to see all the different Grisha and how their powers worked. You also get a little extra laugh in the duology with some of the characters in Crooked Kingdom that show up from the original trilogy. The main character in the Grisha trilogy wasn't my favorite but she didn't ruin the books. Overall though both series are good :)
Hope that helps and I didn't confuse you! haha

message 15: by Cathy (new)

Cathy It does, thanks! :)

message 16: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments Okay I just finished The Color Purple

my review

message 17: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Arika wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I have a question!..."

I have read both her Six of Crows duology and her Grisha trilogy. I enjoyed the duology better than the series but I still really liked the Grisha trilogy. I d..."

I definitely think they're worth a read. Even though the series is not my favourite, and the main character and love interest get on my nerves a lot, the villain is delicious and a certain character is one of my favourites of all time. :)

message 18: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Here is my review of my first "Badass female book" this month: A Thousand Nights, written by E.K. Johnston (the same author that wrote "Exit, Persued by a Bear" Cathy!)

I gave the book 5 stars and you can read my review here.

message 19: by Marguerite (M) (last edited Feb 16, 2017 06:51AM) (new)

Marguerite (M) I chose three books for this month theme, and here is my first review : Wing Jones.
For this book, I didn't chose your usual badass female character, but a girl who fights for her family in her own way.

message 20: by Cathy (last edited Feb 16, 2017 11:27PM) (new)

Cathy Puck wrote: "Here is my review of my first "Badass female book" this month: A Thousand Nights, written by E.K. Johnston (the same author that wrote "Exit, Persued by a Bear" Cathy!)"

Oooh thanks for the heads up! I'll be adding that one to my to-read shelf as well, given your glowing review and the fact that I loved Exit, Pursued by a bear as well.

Thanks for the input, Inge. I have the first book on my Kindle so I suppose I shall get to it at some point!

(Meanwhile, I did the thing that I said I wasn't going to do, which is reread the first two books in the Shades of Magic series, in preparation of the third book's release next week. I was unable to resist :p)

message 21: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Cathy wrote: "Puck wrote: "(Meanwhile, I did the thing that I said I wasn't going to do, which is reread the first two books in the Shades of Magic series, in preparation of the third book's release next week. I was unable to resist :p)"

I don't think anyone can blame you :D I've thought about a reread as well, but there are SO MANY BOOKS to get to.

message 22: by lucie (last edited Feb 18, 2017 01:44PM) (new)

lucie (arey) Finished A Court of Thorns and Roses and you can find my review here
:)

Feyre is really a badass

message 23: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Lucie wrote: "Finished A Court of Thorns and Roses and you can find my review here
:)

Feyre is really a badass"

Glad you loved it!

message 24: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Inge wrote: "I don't think anyone can blame you :D I've thought about a reread as well, but there are SO MANY BOOKS to get to."

Believe me, I know. This was why I wasn't going to re-read book 1 and 2, but then suddenly I found myself reading them anyway. Plus, this week I have 3 new releases that I've been anticipating and I don't know which to read first.

#readerproblems

message 25: by Alessandra (last edited Feb 20, 2017 05:26AM) (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments Muse-ic wrote: "Here is my five star fangirly review for Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo.
I died. I am utterly and completely heartbroken, yet happy, yet sad, yet SO CONFUSED!!! I'm no longer functioning properly."

Damn I just spoil myself reading a bit of the review *I am going to wipe out my memory with the thing from Man in Black* you should put a warning that it's a spoiler review or at least hide the spoiler.
I am so glad you enjoyed the series I just started book 2 and I already have so many feelings.

message 26: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

I finished the audio book for Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms #2) and my review is here. Though if you haven't read the first one, Falling Kingdoms, I would suggest reading it's description first because there are spoilers in the second books description :)

message 27: by Maraya21 (last edited Feb 25, 2017 07:44AM) (new)

Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon) | 50 comments Book One of Three for February:

First Year by Rachel E. Carter

Review here (clicky)

message 28: by Natulcien_reads (last edited Mar 04, 2017 01:37PM) (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I finished Candidate by Rachel E. Carter last night and oh my, my heart got ripped out. You can find my short review here (this might contain spoilers for the previous books!)
I will post a full review on my blog (hopefully soon).

message 29: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Just finished Rebel of the Sands and you can find my review here!
I will eventually have a review on my blog after next week as this was a read along with my co-blogger :)

message 30: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Maraya21 wrote: "Book One of Three for February:

First Year by Rachel E. Carter

Review here (clicky)"

Natulcien wrote: "I finished Apprentice by Rachel E. Carter last night and oh my, my heart got ripped out. You can find my short review here (this might contain spoilers for the prev..."

I'm glad you guys are both enjoying the Black Mage series so much! ♥

Arika wrote: "Just finished Rebel of the Sands and you can find my review here!
I will eventually have a review on my blog after next week as this was a read along with my co-blogger :)"

Excellent! I recently finished Traitor to the Throne myself :D

message 31: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Shay wrote: "Okay I just finished The Color Purple

my review"

Like Shay, I decided to read The Color Purple by Alice Walker. It's a great book filled with lots of strong female characters, but still I only rated this book 3 stars. You can read my review here.

message 32: by WhatIReallyRead (last edited Feb 23, 2017 10:26AM) (new)

WhatIReallyRead I've finished "A Great and Terrible Beauty" and enjoyed it :) My review is here.

Michelle (Scarborg) (scarborg) | 6 comments Inge wrote: "Michelle (FaerieFits) wrote: "I just posted my review of A Darker Shade of Magic, and absolutely LOVED Lila -- she definitely fits the bill of badass female character ;)"

Lila is one of the first ..."

I believe it! I just finished A Gathering of Shadows and OH MY GOSH DO I LOVE HER SO MUCH! Review will be posted this weekend :)

Michelle (Scarborg) (scarborg) | 6 comments I read Illuminae a couple of weeks ago, forgot to share the link :)

Kady is DEFINITELY a badass. Seriously, I don't think I could even imagine doing half of the crap she does. Thoroughly impressed with her.

Read my review here!

message 35: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments I don't know which review I have already post for this month Badass Female but here we go:
(All the review are spoilers free)
Caraval by Stephanie Garber (BADASS FEMALE: SCARLETT)
The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler (BADASS FEMALE: AUTHOR + EVERY WOMAN IN THE MONOLOGUES)
Shadow and Bone (Grisha#1) by Leigh Bardugo (BADASS FEMALE: ALINA)
I just finished writing the 2nd book review that should be out in the weekend if you are interesting.

message 36: by Maraya21 (new)

Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon) | 50 comments Book Two of Three for February:

Beyond the Veil by Pippa DaCosta

Review here (clicky)

Anna (RattleTheShelves) | 16 comments Here is my review of "Unknown" by Wendy Higgins. Amber, the main character, is so badass and the kind that you might meet in real life too, not only in a high fantasy novel :)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 38: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I finished my reread of Throne of Glass and you can find my very short review here.

message 40: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead Thanks to the weekend I've managed to fit in the sequel to "A Great and Terrible Beauty" - "Rebel Angels". And my review is here

message 41: by Maraya21 (new)

Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon) | 50 comments I couldn't get online to do this earlier but here is my last read for February:

Book Three of Three for February:

Queen Alpha by Jaymin Eve & Leia Stone

Review (Clicky me)

message 42: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I finally found the time to write a review for A Quiet Kind of Thunder. I had a lovely time reading this, I gave the book 4 stars, and you can read my review here.

message 43: by Natulcien_reads (last edited Mar 06, 2017 04:32AM) (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments This is my short review for Last Stand. A more in depth review wil be posted on my blog soon.

message 44: by Natulcien_reads (last edited Mar 07, 2017 12:53PM) (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I've just posted my review of Candidate on my blog.
Hope you enjoy it. This may contain spoilers for First Year and Apprentice.

message 45: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I just posted my review of Last Stand by Rachel E. Carter on my blog.

message 46: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "I finally found the time to write a review for A Quiet Kind of Thunder. I had a lovely time reading this, I gave the book 4 stars, and you can read my review here."

Natulcien wrote: "I've just posted my review of Candidate on my blog.
Hope you enjoy it. This may contain spoilers for First Year and Apprentice."

Natulcien wrote: "I just posted my review of Last Stand by Rachel E. Carter on my blog."

Such great books! :D

message 47: by Sandra (last edited Mar 13, 2017 11:27AM) (new)

Sandra | 13 comments I've just finished The Last Queen of India

message 48: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments And again, I'm playing catch-up with my reviews. This one is for Throne of Glass and you can find it here.

message 49: by Mei's Library (new)

Mei's Library (meiiandbooks) | 8 comments I have finished Lady Midnight, by Cassandra Clare.
It has spoilers! You cand find it here: View all my reviews