Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

February - BADASS FEMALES > The big discussion post

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss the book(s) you're reading for the BADASS FEMALE CHARACTERS theme in February. How are we all faring?

message 2: by Yasmine (new)

Yasmine (swissbookworm) | 65 comments Hey y'all. Question: Do you think Pride & Prejudice would Count for this theme? I'm unsure, and haven't read the book yet, but maybe I'd finally read it in February...

message 3: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Yes, definitely!

message 4: by Maraya21 (new)

Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon) | 50 comments Can i ask a question as well? Will Arabian Nights count for this months theme? Since we're talking about classics more or less..

message 5: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

As a general rule: we don't have to "approve" of your reads. If you think it matches the theme, it probably does. ^_^

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I'm about 15% into What's a Girl Gotta Do? and it's amazing just like the two previous books. It's real and it's feminist, but it's also really funny and relatable. Cannot recommend this series enough.

message 7: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments Has anyone read Caraval yet? Does it fit this theme? I am planning on stopping at the library after work to pick it up.

message 8: by Yasmine (new)

Yasmine (swissbookworm) | 65 comments I haven't read Caraval yet, but I've heard a lot about it and I think it fits this theme :D

@ Inge : I really need to continue the Spinster Club series because I LOVED Am I Normal Yet (I picked it up before even realising that everybody was reading it and how great it was last summer).

I just finished The Blood of Olympus yesterday which I'm pretty sure has a LOT of kickass female characters (Annabeth, Piper, Hazel, Reina and soooo many more!). I'm not over finishing the Heroes of Olympus series yet and I really don't know what to do with my life right now :P

message 9: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments I'm not very far into it yet but I'm reading A Whole New World and hopefully Jasmine will be just as much of a badass in it as she was in the Disney movie, if not more so. She was always and still is one of my absolute favourite Disney princesses simply because she's awesome and refused to be told what she could and couldn't do and didn't have time for f***boys!

message 10: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Francesca wrote: "I'm not very far into it yet but I'm reading A Whole New World and hopefully Jasmine will be just as much of a badass in it as she was in the Disney movie, if not more so. She was a..."

Also she has a pet tiger and that helps too.

Shay wrote: "Has anyone read Caraval yet? Does it fit this theme? I am planning on stopping at the library after work to pick it up."

Go for it! I've started it as well :)

message 11: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments I am on chapter 23 of Caraval right now. The word I would use to describe it is bizarre.

message 12: by Shay (last edited Feb 12, 2017 03:24AM) (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments Now I am reading The Color Purple. I am at 30%. My favorite character is Sofia. She is not the main character but she is badass. Shug(also not the main character) is another really good female character.

message 13: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments Oh my god, The Color Purple is my absolute favourite book! So many great female characters. Shug is my favourite because I love her outlook on life and her attitude but I love them all (except the mayors wife, she can do one). Celie's development is incredible and inspiring. Sophia is a badass.

message 14: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Shay wrote: "I am on chapter 23 of Caraval right now. The word I would use to describe it is bizarre."

I'm on chapter 12 of Caraval. I think bizarre is the right word, but also in a good way? I can't wait to see what happens!

message 15: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Okay, so some of the books I've been reading this month that contain badass female characters:

What's a Girl Gotta Do? was personally my least favourite in the series, but I still gave it 4 stars so it was still awesome. I love that this whole series is about feminism and raises a lot of valid points. Definitely a series worth picking up!

Crooked Kingdom. Also not as good as the first book (in my ever so humble opinion), but I loved coming back to this familiar set of characters. When it comes to badass, you can't go around Nina and Inej. I also love their friendship, and Nina's love for food!

Currently reading:

Caraval. I'm doing two chapters a day for the FairyLoot group read and I'm really intrigued. I have no idea whatsoever what's going on, but it's SHADY as hell and I love it!

Traitor to the Throne. To be honest, I'm kind of struggling with this one. But there's no denying that this has some badass women!

message 16: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments Inge wrote: "Okay, so some of the books I've been reading this month that contain badass female characters:

What's a Girl Gotta Do? was personally my least favourite in the series, but I still ..."

I really loved "What's a girl gotta do?" for all the girls-take-action but my heart belong to "Am I normal yet?" which is still my favorite book of the series -- I still have to read the last one but I am waiting for the paperback.

message 17: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "Okay, so some of the books I've been reading this month that contain badass female characters..."

I definitely have to agree with you on Crooked Kingdom...I liked Six of Crows better but Nina is one of my favorite characters :)

I am listening to the book Gathering Darkness which is the third book in the Falling Kingdoms series. I really love listening to it and it definitely has a lot of badass women in the series. My favorite woman has to be Lysandra but Cleo is starting to warm up to me, I really didn't like her much in the first book.

This week I started reading Rebel of the Sands and so far I really like it! Amani has some badass gun skills that I wished I had. She has certainly helped herself out of many crazy situations so far and I can't wait to finish the book.

message 18: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Just finished Rebel of the Sands and it was great! OMG, I love the spitfire that Amani is :) And (view spoiler)
Overall it had a little bit of everything I like in a book :)

message 19: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Arika wrote: "Just finished Rebel of the Sands and it was great! OMG, I love the spitfire that Amani is :) And [spoilers removed]
Overall it had a little bit of everything I like in a book :)"

I loved that as well ^_^

message 20: by Evelien (new)

Evelien | 28 comments I finished The Help yesterday, at last! I simply loved it, but I'm too lazy to write a complete review :')

Anna (RattleTheShelves) | 16 comments I've just finished "Unknown" by Wendy Higgins. It's a NA dystopia. I didn't expect it but the main character was so badass, and the believable kind, too - not trained by assassins from a kid, but rather grew up playing with boys and then became a paramedic. So happy I managed to read something that fits a theme so perfectly!

message 22: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments I loved The Help. I have thought about a reread of it.

message 23: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I got a bit confused about February being the shortest month, so I'm still working on Truthwitch. I'm actually not enjoying it at all? I can't get into it - there's so much world-building left untold which leaves me really confused.

message 24: by Grace (new)

Grace Messimer (graceellenreads) | 9 comments I finished the Six of Crows duology today and it totally had some badass females!! I also read the first two Harry Potter books so once again, Hermione definitely counts to that. (And movie wise, I watched my all time favorite movie 10 things I hate about you, and Kat Stratford is such a great person too!!)

message 25: by Sage (new)

Sage Knightly (sageknightly_) I finished Illuminae like two days ago and it's all I can think about. I love the characters and the story (it's intense!) and the format of the book is unique and I love it! I read most of Illumine in a few hours, and I predicted some parts but it was Almost mind blowing when my predictions actually came true. Honestly, I was sticking my hand in a hat of paper and somehow pulled out exactly what I wanted lol

I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel, hopefully that will be soon!

message 26: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Grace wrote: "I finished the Six of Crows duology today and it totally had some badass females!! I also read the first two Harry Potter books so once again, Hermione definitely counts to that. (And movie wise, I..."

Oooh I love me some Kat Stratford! That will always be one of my favourite movies :D

Sage wrote: "I finished Illuminae like two days ago and it's all I can think about. I love the characters and the story (it's intense!) and the format of the book is unique and I love it! I read most of Illumin..."

Dude you will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED by Gemina.

message 27: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments Grace wrote: "I finished the Six of Crows duology today and it totally had some badass females!! I also read the first two Harry Potter books so once again, Hermione definitely counts to that. (And movie wise, I..."

Ms Perkins is what I imagine all erotic fiction writers to be like! XD

message 28: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments I too love Kat. I made sure my daughter saw that movie. Love it.

message 29: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Francesca wrote: "Ms Perkins is what I imagine all erotic fiction writers to be like! XD"

YES! lol. This is exactly what I've always been thinking too. I love that movie, and Ms Perkins is fabulous.

message 30: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments Cathy wrote: "Francesca wrote: "Ms Perkins is what I imagine all erotic fiction writers to be like! XD"

YES! lol. This is exactly what I've always been thinking too. I love that movie, and Ms Perkins is fabulous."

She is! I will always love Mr Morgan as well. He always cracks me up.