Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

February - BADASS FEMALES > Which women do you admire?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
This should be a really interesting discussion topic. I want to know about the women in your life you admire, as well as celebrities, and your favourite fictional characters.

Go!

message 2: by Ashley Marie (last edited Feb 07, 2017 04:16AM) (new)

Ashley Marie  | 357 comments Historical figures:
I've always found Harriet Tubman fascinating; I borrowed stole a copy of Freedom Train: The Story of Harriet Tubman from my school library as a kid and wore that book out.
I also love Catherine the Great of Russia, Catherine of Aragon, Juana of Castile, the Romanov family, and Helen Keller.

Celebrities I admire: Viola Davis, Taraji P Henson, Abby Wambach, Serena Williams, P!nk, Miranda Lambert, and the Dames: Helen Mirren, Maggie Smith, Julie Andrews, Judi Dench, Angela Lansbury.

Fictional characters:
Hermione Granger, Lex Bartleby (Croak), Lisbeth Salander (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Beka Cooper (Terrier)... there should be a ton more but I have a mental block rn.

message 3: by Maraya21 (new)

Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon) | 50 comments My no1 female idol is my mother. She left her small village in India to go find her luck abroad, first stop was Shanghai and then Greece where she ultimately stayed and had me. She did an amazing job raising me all by herself, well with a little help from one of her sisters. Too bad i am an idiot and it doesn't show.
I'll never be such a solid and strong mother like her and i am blessed to have her.

Then from fictional characters I love:
Shanti (The Warrior Chronicles), Lana (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc.), Abigail (Walker Saga), Jessa (Supernatural Prison), Karma (Karma), Arianna (NYC Mecca) and Hermione (Harry Potter).

It is absolutely certain i'm forgetting characters right now but these above are the main loves of mine. All of them strong, kickass -fictional yet you wished they were real- women.

As for celebrities and women in the real world i would say on the top of my head:
The Goddess Squad: Dame Helen Mirren, Dame Maggie Smith, Meryl Strip, Betty White, Dame Julie Andrews & Dame Judi Dench - I absolutely adore them.
I also love Emma Thompson, Cate Blanchett & Jane Fonda. Then we have Emma Watson, Jennifer Lawrence, Alfre Woodard, Missy Elliott & Sia.

Again i'm positive i'm forgetting people..

message 4: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments Maraya listed some great women, I agree with. I will add Leah Remini, I recommended her book Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology I admire the hell out of her after reading that. It takes a lot to break away from a cult that literally tears families apart.

Michelle Obama , Elizabeth Warren, Malala Yousafzai

all the women who fought for our rights to vote, work, for everything that we are able to have and do now.

message 5: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments When it's up to women that I admire the first person who comes up is SOPHIA BUSH: she has been my role model for like 15 years now and if I mostly have my value and the strength to fight back is because of her.

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Maraya21 wrote: "My no1 female idol is my mother. She left her small village in India to go find her luck abroad, first stop was Shanghai and then Greece where she ultimately stayed and had me. She did an amazing j..."

Excellent! ♥ I wholeheartedly agree with your female celebrities. Especially Emma Watson is doing so much for women and I love that. I was watching Chamber of Secrets yesterday and Maggie Smith is honestly so badass. ^_^

Alessandra wrote: "When it's up to women that I admire the first person who comes up is SOPHIA BUSH: she has been my role model for like 15 years now and if I mostly have my value and the strength to fight back is be..."

Oh one of my best friends is very much into Sophia Bush too, so I know a bit about what she does (also I used to watch One Tree Hill :D). She's such a good rolemodel.

message 7: by Marguerite (M) (last edited Feb 01, 2017 03:21AM) (new)

Marguerite (M) Like Maraya, the woman I admire the most is my mom. She raised me by herself for the first 10 years of my life while working 70 hours an hour. We didn't have much, but i had the best childhood I could have. My dream is to be as strong and as loving as her as a grown up, and to success with my children as she did with me.

The other real women I admire would be pretty much all of them. I admire women who accept themselves, who fight for what they want and believe. I don't have a name to give you specifically, I just admire women in general, and you all cited great names ! (I love Maggie Smith too !!)

As for the fictional characters, my favorites would be : Olina (Fantasy of Frost who is mentally so strong you just have to admire her and eternal Lizzie Bennet from Pride and Prejudice.
I also love Feyre (ACOMAR and ACOMAF), Kady (Illuminae), Sorcha (Daughter of the Forest), Mara (Daughter of the Empire) and Myfanwy Thomas (The Rook).

message 8: by Marguerite (new)

Marguerite I've always really admired Anne Frank. She is such a powerful little girl. I also admire Mother Theresa and I want to read more literature about her. For a fictional character I admire Nancy Drew! I've always loved the books and still do!

message 9: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments My Mum and both my older Sisters are people I admire heavily and that I feel have influenced me in many ways. They've all faced their own hardships and struggles and they've all come out the other side and it's inspiring to witness.

Fictional Characters:
Celie, Shug, Sophia, and Nettie (all from The Color Purple), Veronica Mars (Veronica Mars), Luna Lovegood, Professor McGonagall, and Hermione Granger (Harry Potter), Eowyn (Lord of the Rings), Leslie Knope (Parks and Recreation), Phoebe Buffay (Friends), Sansa, Brienne, and Cersei (A Song of Ice and Fire), Idgie and Ruth (Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe), and there are so many more.

Celebrities/famous people that I admire:
Kristen Bell, Mindy Kaling, Viola Davis, Emma Watson, Whoopi Goldberg, Susan Sarandon, Laverne Cox, Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, and SOOOOOO many more.

message 10: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I share a birthday with Kristen Bell! Not that I'm bragging... ;)

message 11: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments Inge wrote: "I share a birthday with Kristen Bell! Not that I'm bragging... ;)"

I would brag, if I were you! That is something worth bragging about!

message 12: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments I agree. She is awesome!

†Reviews of a FearStreetZombie† (fearstreetzombie) I have never really put much thought into this because Even though I have read a ton of books, Belle is always the first in my mind. I have no idea if that is sad... or just sad. lmbo. Unless we mean real life. Then I would have to say my mama. Man I miss her. She was so amazing. I could go on and on and probably write a book about how awesome and strong she was and not repeat myself once. lol *gross sobbing*

message 14: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie† wrote: "Belle is always the first in my mind. I have no idea if that is sad... or just sad."

That's not sad at all! Mulan, Jasmine, and Belle have always been my absolute favourite Disney princesses and I'm certain that they, along with some of the other princesses because I love most of them, have influenced me and how I've turned out (whether that's considered a good or a bad thing I'm not sure, I'd have to ask people that know me, lol!).

message 15: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments I love Belle and Jasmine. I couldn't ever get into Mulan.

message 16: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I was riding my bike yesterday and suddenly I remembered these awesome historical ladies, so naturally, I had to tell you guys about them :D

The first lady is Julie d'Aubigny (1673-1707) who became known as Madame de Maupin, famous operasinger. She became known not only because of her voice, but also thanks to her swordwielding abilities and the fact that she was openly bisexual and had many male and female lovers. Living like this she of course caused many scandals in the 17th century France, but she didn't give a f*ck about that ;D.
Due to those scandals historians still debate on what stories are true and what are only a rumour, but all together she fits the bill of "Badass Female" pretty well. In 2014 historian Kelly Gardiner wrote a book about the fictionalized life of Maupin, Goddess, which was a blast to read :)

The other amazing historical woman is Mary Seacole (1805-1881), a Jamaican nurse living in the 19th century. Daughter of a Scottish man and a Jamaican women (born a slave), she had to battle diseases like cholera and diarrhea during her youth. That knowledge became very valuable when she left to Eastern Europe to treat soldiers during the Crimean War. Florence Nightingale was there too, and she didn't like this bossy black woman at all, but Mary didn't care and sometimes treated soldiers better than Nightingale.
Nowadays very few people know her name and deeds (the joy of racism), but she definitely deserves to be remembered. Lots of this info is described in Wonderful Adventures of Mrs. Seacole in Many Lands, an autobiography largly written by Mary herself.

Sorry about the info-dump, but I love these ladies a lot <3

message 17: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaylyn318) | 78 comments That was interesting. I think since it is black history month learning about black women is good.