Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

February - BADASS FEMALES > Girl power recommendations!

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsINGE) | 836 comments Mod
Unsure of what to read for February's theme? I'm sure our readers will find you a good fit!

My recommendations are:
- First Year
- Am I Normal Yet?
- Harry Potter
- Percy Jackson
- Girl Up
- I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
- On the Fence
- V is for Virgin
- Illuminae
- A Darker Shade of Magic

message 2: by Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* (last edited Jan 28, 2017 05:51AM) (new)

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* | 73 comments My recs include historical fiction, a memoir or two, and fantasy! The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy is phenomenal and can't be left out either :)

- anything and everything by Tamora Pierce, Stephanie Thornton, Michelle Moran
- The Female of the Species
- Not a Drop to Drink
- V for Vendetta
- You're Never Weird on the Internet
- Burial Rites
- Croak
- The Lies of Locke Lamora
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

message 3: by Maraya21 (new)

Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon) | 42 comments Well my recs are the following:
- Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc. Series
- The Warrior Chronicles Series
- Walker Saga Series
- Queen Heir
- Supernatural Prison Trilogy
- Solus Series
- Karma Series
- Alchemy Series

message 4: by Natulcien (last edited Jan 28, 2017 09:40AM) (new)

Natulcien | 216 comments I would recommend:

The 'His Fair Assassin's' trilogy by Robin LaFevers (I just found out there are going to be two more books in this series. Very exciting :-) )
The Queen of the Tearling (I've only read the first book in the trilogy :-$ )

message 5: by Yasmine (new)

Yasmine (Swissbookworm) | 19 comments My Recs for this theme are:

Percy Jackson series
The 100 Series
Rebel Belle
Illuminae
Am I Normal Yet
Red Queen Series

message 6: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 59 comments - I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai: an empowering, incredible memoir

- Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett: a hilarious, quick fantasy read for older readers

- Maskerade by Terry Pratchett: another humorous fantasy read for older readers, this one is a phantom of the opera retelling that centers around a coven of witches

(BASICALLY ANY OF TP'S WITCHES OR TIFFANY ACHING BOOKS, OKAY, THEY'RE AMAZING)

- Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce: another fantasy read, this one a bit longer and for younger readers

message 7: by Shay (last edited Jan 29, 2017 05:10AM) (new)

Shay (Shaylyn318) | 78 comments Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology This is non fiction and a very good badass female. It takes a lot of courage and strength to leave a cult.

Jane Eyre I have read most of this. It is very good, I do need to finish it this year.

Halfway to the Grave this is a series and it is very good.

Outlander also a series. Historical fiction. These books are very long and some people have a hard time getting into them but they are well worth it. Amazing.

The Hunger Games There are probably some people who still haven't read these books.

A Court of Thorns and Roses and A Court of Mist and Fury She is more badass in book two.

The Help

message 8: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 212 comments Mod
My recommendations would be:
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
First Year by Rachel E. Carter
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Legend by Marie Lu
I could go on and on but those are a few of my favorites!

Natulcien wrote: "I would recommend:

The 'His Fair Assassin's' trilogy by Robin LaFevers (I just found out there are going to be two more books in this series. Very exciting :-) )
[book:The Queen o..."

Great recommendations! I have read the first book in both those series and love them!!! Exciting to hear that there will be a few more in the His Fair Assassin's trilogy!

message 10: by Marguerite (Lady RH) (last edited Feb 01, 2017 03:36AM) (new)

Marguerite (Lady RH) ❀ I would recommend :
Fantasy of Fire : fantasy and freakin awesome and Olina is one of my favorite female characters ever
Daughter of the Empire : I couldn't find much more badass and smart and amazing
Magic Bites : because it's Kate Daniels, duh
The Testing : badass in a smart kind of way, does that count ?
Illuminae, Pride and Prejudice & The Fixer.
Oh and of course Six of Crows and Vampire Academy!

And what do you think of books like The Monday Girl and Making Faces ? Does it follow the theme ? I admire women who learn to accept themselves.

message 11: by Alessandra, White Rabbit (last edited Feb 01, 2017 05:34AM) (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments Mod
Here are mine.

Am I normal yet? or any Spinster's Club serie book.
Illuminae or Gemina (or both!)
ACOTAR
Shatter me
The one memory of Flora Banks
Beautiful Broken Things

message 12: by Josh (new)

Josh Caporale (Caponomics) | 5 comments I just about have my reading for February selected, but I would suggest Persepolis (parts 1 & 2) if you are look for a graphic novel about a female that has really been influential in speaking about her experiences.

message 13: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Feb 01, 2017 12:03PM) (new)

Puck | 248 comments Mod
Josh wrote: "I just about have my reading for February selected, but I would suggest Persepolis (parts 1 & 2) if you are look for a graphic novel about a female that has really been influential in speaking abou..."

Yes! Thank you Josh, Persepolis is indeed amazing! The graphic novels were also made into a great movie but reading the novels makes you experience the story in a whole new way: how Marji grows up to be an independant woman and the relationships with her mother and her grandmother are beautiful.

message 14: by Josh (new)

Josh Caporale (Caponomics) | 5 comments Puck,

A friend of mine told me about the films, but I will need to check those out. The book were definitely spectacular and Marjane does a great job talking about how she becomes the person she is in an area where it is difficult to do so.

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela | 23 comments My girl power recommendations are basically anything by Virginia Woolf and Barbara Pym (the latter being incredibly overlooked, but her writing is marvellous).

message 16: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments Josh wrote: "I just about have my reading for February selected, but I would suggest Persepolis (parts 1 & 2) if you are look for a graphic novel about a female that has really been influential in speaking abou..."

Agreed! Read it in 2015 and absolutely loved it. Thought it was incredible.

message 17: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments I would also recommend the Harry Potter series and the Hunger Games but some recommendations that haven't been listed yet:

The Color Purple
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
The Handmaid's Tale
The Girl with All the Gifts
Bonkers: My Life in Laughs
Adulthood Is a Myth
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
Why Not Me?
Yes Please
Girl, Interrupted

I would also recommend:
The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line & Mr. Kiss and Tell but if you've already seen the Veronica Mars series and movie.

message 18: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I love Adulthood Is A Myth *_*

message 19: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 52 comments Inge wrote: "I love Adulthood Is A Myth *_*"

She has a second book coming out and I can not wait!

message 20: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Francesca wrote: "Inge wrote: "I love Adulthood Is A Myth *_*"

She has a second book coming out and I can not wait!"

Oh, awesome!!

message 21: by Shay (new)

Shay (Shaylyn318) | 78 comments I came across this from the Huffington Post today. Great recommendations for Badass females.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/b...?

message 22: by Kelly (last edited Feb 25, 2017 09:04AM) (new)

Kelly Kingsbury These may not be to everyone tastes, but I love the female characters in these books. So empowering and despite being fantasy, can be quite realistic in how a woman grows in to herself over time.

Graceling

Throne Of Glass Series

Frostblood

The Night Circus

Gallagher Girls Series Collection