Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

February - BADASS FEMALES > What are you reading?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 91) (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (last edited Jan 28, 2017 05:59AM) (new)

Inge (omgitsINGE) | 836 comments Mod
Hello!

With a smattering win of 43% of the votes, BADASS FEMALE CHARACTERS has become the official theme for February!

You can interpret this however you like. All you need are some powerful women, whether they literally kick ass and throw daggers or have strong personalities. Let's celebrate girl power this month!

So what are you reading? I'll be reading What's a Girl Gotta Do? by Holly Bourne, the third novel in the Spinster Club series. I really love this series because it has an accurate portrayal of mental illness, but I also like the three main characters, who start a feminist club together. They gather every once in a while and discuss feminist things. It's a really great series. I'll also be reading Truthwitch.

GIVEAWAY: I'll be giving away TWO ebook copies of First Year in this thread! Ryiah is definitely one of those ass-kicking, dagger-throwing characters. She is strong-willed and determined.

All you have to do is leave a meaningful comment about what you'll be reading on this thread. This giveaway is open from now until the 7th of February. On the 8th, I'll randomly pick two winners.
- the giveaway is international
- if you've already read First Year, I'll gift you the next unread book in the series

Happy reading!

message 2: by Natulcien (new)

Natulcien | 216 comments I've been wanting/needing to reread both the Throne of Glass and the Falling Kingdoms series. I still need to read Queen of Shadows and Frozen Tides and it's been too long since I've read the other books in the series. So, this month's theme will give me the perfect excuse to do just that.
I want to try the audiobook for Throne of Glass because it's narrated by Elisabeth Evans who also does the voice of Nina (I think) in Crooked Kingdom and I loved that, so.
Oh and I also want to continue with the Dark Mage series by Rachel E. Carter because I'm flying through First Year. We'll see how many books I'll actually manage to read, but at least I've got some options :-)

message 3: by Maraya21 (last edited Jan 28, 2017 11:49AM) (new)

Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon) | 42 comments Since i only picked one book for January i'll be reading two three for February. I read more than one in January but i wasn't sure if i could finish them all by the end of the month, which as it turns out i didn't.

So for February i will start with these two three:

- First Year: I now own this ebook, sent to me by the author, thanks to Inge (Thanks Inge! ^_^ ). I had seen her rave about it and so I had added it to my list but never got around to it unfortunately (like so many other books - goddess i am a sloth that way). Now that i have it i'm picking it for February.

- Beyond the Veil: Another friend of mine here on GR has been raving on about this authors work. So i'll be starting this series as well.

- {Edited in} The Lies of Locke Lamora: I'd heard so much about this one. Then in an amazing review from a friend here i read an equally amazing quoted answer of the author to a hater so i had ordered this series. I'll start when it arrives.

Hopefully i'll be able to read more than two three, but this will be a good start ^_^

Edit: It looks like i'll be reading three books for February!

message 4: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 248 comments Mod
Yes, what an amazing theme! I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it, but for this month I have four books on my TBR-list:

1. The Rose Society. In January I've read the Young Elites and I really liked it, especially thanks to Adelina, so I'm looking forward on reading more about her. :)

2. Half a War, the third and last book in the Shattered Sea-trilogy. This series features one of the most badass warrior ladies that I've read about so far (THORN <3!), so I can't wait to read more about her and see how this epic series end.

3. A Thousand Nights. I don't know much about this book, expect it's about two sisters who try to give each other strength while one of them gets married off, so let's find out if that's true. And the cover is pretty :)

4. And hopefully, if my bookorder arrives in time, I'll be able to read A Quiet Kind of Thunder. Being badass doesn't always mean you have to wield a sword and be kickass; sometimes being you is already very brave.

Maybe I'll able to read more, but this is my list so far! :D

message 5: by Yomna (new)

Yomna (yomna44) | 1 comments Inge wrote: "Hello!

With a smattering win of 43% of the votes, BADASS FEMALE CHARACTERS has become the official theme for February!

You can interpret this however you like. All you need are some powerful wome..."

I'll be reading an advanced copy of Traitor to the Throne by Alwyn Hamilton!

message 6: by Shay (last edited Jan 29, 2017 05:20AM) (new)

Shay (Shaylyn318) | 78 comments I already started America's First Daughter but I will probably not finish it until February. I also will try and finish Jane Eyre. I plan on reading Rebel of the Sands too.

message 7: by Cathy, Dinah (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Mod
Hmmm, I'll need to think about what I want to read for this category, because I tend to think every female character in whatever book I'm reading is badass in her own particular way, heh.

I might pick something non-fiction and go with Where am I now? by Mara Wilson. I love Mara Wilson and I admire the way she's outspoken about political issues and tries to use her "celebrity status" for a good cause. So I'm interested to finally read her book!

message 8: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 212 comments Mod
I just started reading Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo and everyone who has read six of crows knows Inej is a badass female character!

message 9: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Arika wrote: "I just started reading Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo and everyone who has read six of crows knows Inej is a badass female character!"

I just started reading this too! :D

message 10: by Alessandra, White Rabbit (new)

Alessandra Crivelli (brunettegirl27) | 102 comments Mod
I am pretty much in trouble this month because I can't start new series right now and I don't really want to re-read something. I don't know if I have any badass woman-book in my currently TBR.

You can check my currently TBR here - advice?

Do you know if Caraval counts as a badass female character, maybe?

message 11: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Inge wrote: "Arika wrote: "I just started reading Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo and everyone who has read six of crows knows Inej is a badass female character!"

I just started reading this too! :D"

Haha i saw that on your status! I am so excited to read it and my good friend said she liked it even more than Six of Crows, so we will see! I just want a ton of Inej in the book :)

message 12: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Alessandra wrote: "I am pretty much in trouble this month because I can't start new series right now and I don't really want to re-read something. I don't know if I have any badass woman-book in my currently TBR.

Yo..."

There are two books on your TBR that I have read that I would consider having badass woman:
Shadow and Bone (though in the first book I don't know if I consider the main character badass but she does eventually get there)
An Ember in the Ashes (I think there are a couple badass women in this book, not only the main character but a couple of the side characters too!)
So if you want more badass characters I would go with An Ember in the Ashes!

Hope this helps!

message 13: by Dannii (last edited Jan 30, 2017 08:13AM) (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) I think fate has decided my February tbr. I won a Twitter giveaway for a digital copy of First Year about ten minutes before seeing this. I'd love to continue the series as it sounds insanely good.

My other February reads are:
The Pearl Thief - The new prequel to Code Name Verity coming out this year.

I plan on continuing with the Endgame series. I am currently on the second book, Sky Key, and want to read the two novella bind ups, if I don't get to them next month. There is so much diversity of colour, sexuality and culture in these books. Each female character is uniquely represented and are all so bad ass!

I also hope to continue with Grisha trilogy. I am on the first book, Shadow and Bone, and whatever books I don't get to this month, will definitely be read in February.

I read Passenger last January and have been eagerly awaiting the sequel, Wayfarer. I finally have it, so that is my priority read of the month!

message 14: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Puck wrote: "Yes, what an amazing theme! I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it, but for this month I have four books on my TBR-list:

1. The Rose Society. In January I've read the Young Elites and I really li..."

I finished A Quiet Kind of Thunder yesterday and it was one of the most moving, emotional and educational books I have ever read. I hope you enjoy!

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* | 73 comments I stalled on The Naming in January so I'll try to get that finished in February, plus I've got Mary Reilly and Hunting Ground planned as well.

message 16: by Shay (new)

Shay (Shaylyn318) | 78 comments An Ember in the Ashes is a good one and so is A Torch Against the Night which is the second book.

message 17: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 248 comments Mod
Dannii wrote: "Puck wrote: "Yes, what an amazing theme! I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it, but for this month I have four books on my TBR-list:

1. The Rose Society. In January I've read the Young Elites an..."

Yaay, that's great to hear! :D I just got confirmed that my copy of the book will arrive next week, so now I can hardly wait until it arrives! I'm pretty sure I'll love it; I've already seen the book in Waterstones and it looks gorgeous.

message 18: by Cathy, Dinah (last edited Jan 31, 2017 12:07AM) (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Mod
Alessandra wrote: "I am pretty much in trouble this month because I can't start new series right now and I don't really want to re-read something. I don't know if I have any badass woman-book in my currently TBR."

I think the term "badass female" can mean whatever you want it to mean? I object to the reasoning that badass females can only be the types of characters that are strong, fierce and unafraid of anything the world throws at them. You could have a shy, introverted girl in a story who's fighting inner battles and I would consider her to be badass too :p

Just my take, though!

message 19: by lucie , March Hare (new)

lucie  (Arey) | 301 comments Mod
Cathy wrote: "Hmmm, I'll need to think about what I want to read for this category, because I tend to think every female character in whatever book I'm reading is badass in her own particular way, heh.

I might..."

So I guess Six of Crows counts too?
--
Actually this theme is so general that a lot of books fit here, right? I like it!!

message 20: by Natulcien (last edited Jul 03, 2017 06:34AM) (new)

Natulcien | 216 comments Cathy wrote: "Alessandra wrote: "I am pretty much in trouble this month because I can't start new series right now and I don't really want to re-read something. I don't know if I have any badass woman-book in my..."

True, that can be even more badass than throwing around knives or shooting a bow and arrow!!

message 21: by Alessandra, White Rabbit (new)

Cathy wrote: "Alessandra wrote: "I am pretty much in trouble this month because I can't start new series right now and I don't really want to re-read something. I don't know if I have any badass woman-book in my..."

Thank you! I will definitely check on the books that I have and that they are coming :)
But I won't start any other serie here xD

message 22: by Evelien (new)

Evelien | 28 comments I was going to go for The Help, for this category ^^

message 23: by Aly's Bookish Wonderland, Cheshire Cat (new)

Aly's Bookish Wonderland (alysbookishwonderland) | 15 comments Mod
I'm going to try and read THE INHERITANCE TRILOGY by N. K. Jemisin. I bought the bind-up of all three books (before realizing a new sequel had been released and isn't included in the bind-up :|) and it's a mammoth of a book. At the moment, it means I'll be reading 1400 pages in February hahaha.

After that, I'm going to try and read The Diabolic and squeeze in a quick re-read of Throne of Glass. Because YES.

message 24: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Lucie wrote: "So I guess Six of Crows counts too?
--
Actually this theme is so general that a lot of books fit here, right? I like it!!"

Six of Crows definitely counts! Inej and Nina are both badass in their own way. We're going to try to keep our themes quite general, so there's a bit for everyone in there ^_^

Cathy wrote: "I think the term "badass female" can mean whatever you want it to mean? I object to the reasoning that badass females can only be the types of characters that are strong, fierce and unafraid of anything the world throws at them. You could have a shy, introverted girl in a story who's fighting inner battles and I would consider her to be badass too :p"

I wholeheartedly agree with this, Cathy!

message 25: by lucie , March Hare (new)

lucie  (Arey) | 301 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "Lucie wrote: "So I guess Six of Crows counts too?
--
Actually this theme is so general that a lot of books fit here, right? I like it!!"

Six of Crows definitely counts! Inej and Nina are both bad..."

I love it! Really, this general themes are great idea :)

message 26: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Lucie wrote: "Inge wrote: "Lucie wrote: "So I guess Six of Crows counts too?
--

Six of Crows definitely counts! Inej and Nina..."

Thank you! :D

message 27: by Cathy, Dinah (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Mod
Evelien wrote: "I was going to go for The Help, for this category ^^"

Oh, you should! I can only support this decision, that is one of my very favourite books! :)

Full of badass females, indeed!

message 28: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Cathy wrote: "Evelien wrote: "I was going to go for The Help, for this category ^^"

Oh, you should! I can only support this decision, that is one of my very favourite books! :)

Full of badass f..."

I saw the movie! Very impressive.

message 29: by Evelien (new)

Evelien | 28 comments Inge wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Evelien wrote: "I was going to go for The Help, for this category ^^"

Fu..."

I saw part of it, but I'm really excited for the book!

message 30: by Aspen (new)

Aspen | 2 comments I am going to read Rose Under Fire from Elisabeth Wein. I choose this book because it's about a woman who is an ATA pilot during WWII. After being captured by the German, she tells her story how she survived. You had to be a badass woman to do that. ;)

message 31: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Aspen wrote: "I am going to read Rose Under Fire from Elisabeth Wein. I choose this book because it's about a woman who is an ATA pilot during WWII. After being captured by the German, she tells ..."

Have you read Code Name Verity? That is an amazing book too with some amazing women in it! (I really want to read Rose Under Fire too!)

message 32: by georgia (new)

georgia  (goodreadscomgeorgia_hermione) | 7 comments I'm going to read A Court of Mist and Fury and hopefully finish it because i've got a half term coming up so i hopefully will and then maybe start the Red Queen series too!

message 33: by Cathy, Dinah (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Mod
Okay, so I just finished Big Little Lies (review here) by Liane Moriarty and I never would have guessed I'd enjoy it as much as I did.

I know that technically I didn't pick this as my February read for this category, but surprisingly, there were a lot of badass and kickass females in this book! Highly recommend :)

message 34: by Grace (new)

Grace Messimer (graceellenreads) | 8 comments I'm rereading both Harry Potter and the Six of Crows duology this month so there's lots of great female characters in both of those! I also picked Vengeance Road for this month which seems like the protagonist is really strong, and a Sherlock genderbend (A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro) so hopefully I'll have more than a few books for this!

message 35: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 248 comments Mod
Grace wrote: "I'm rereading both Harry Potter and the Six of Crows duology this month so there's lots of great female characters in both of those! I also picked Vengeance Road for this month which seems like the..."

Oh god, I already want to read Vengeance Road based on its beautiful cover (lol, I'm so shallow :P). But the story itself sounds really cool too, so I can't wait to read your review of the book Grace!

And your other books are perfect for the theme as well, so you'll probably have a great reading month! :D

message 36: by Alessandra, White Rabbit (new)

Find it: it arrived yesterday.
I am reading The Vagina Monologues -- what's more badass than a book on feminist?!

Plus, I am going to read Caraval which I don't know anything about it, except that 'it's only a game', but maybe I will find some badass character in there too :)

message 37: by Michelle (Scarborg) (last edited Feb 04, 2017 01:56PM) (new)

Michelle (Scarborg) (scarborg) | 6 comments So excited for this theme! :)

I'll be reading A Gathering of Shadows -- Lila was such an AMAZING person in the first one, so I can't wait to read more about her! (Oh, and Kell; but mostly Lila!)

I'm also hoping to finally get caught up with the Throne of Glass series. I started Empire of Storms when it first came out but got slammed with real life and never got back into it. #ReadingGoals

Also hoping to tackle Rebel of the Sands too :)

I also JUST finished Illuminae and am IN LOVE! Kady is totally a badass and does some pretty phenomenal things. Like, BEYOND IMPRESSED!

message 38: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (goodreadscomsabrinaf) | 4 comments I don't know which read. Any recomendation?
I recently acquired the Mary Poppins collection, will that be my strong woman?

message 39: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Michelle (FaerieFits) wrote: "So excited for this theme! :)

I'll be reading A Gathering of Shadows -- Lila was such an AMAZING person in the first one, so I can't wait to read more about her! (Oh, and Kell; but mostly Lila!)

..."

My coblogger and I are going to be reading Rebel of the Sands at the end of this month as a buddy read! You are more than welcome to join us :) It sounds like an amazing book and it most definitely sounds like it has a badass female character!!
midwesternbooknerd.wordpress.com

message 40: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead I think I'm going to go with A Great and Terrible Beauty for this month. I own a copy + wanted to read it for a while :)

Shannon (It Starts At Midnight) (ShannonMiz) I just finished Alone this morning which features SUCH a badass female! Actually, it features a LOT of them, but the MC is like.... well, she is in CHARGE. And she kind of reminds me a little of Clarke from The 100. It is the final book in a series- and I was so happy because it was also the strongest book in the series (which is SO rare!)

I am starting Hunted tonight and I have heard that the MC in this one is a badass too, so fingers crossed!

message 42: by Cathy, Dinah (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Mod
Sabrina wrote: "I don't know which read. Any recomendation?
I recently acquired the Mary Poppins collection, will that be my strong woman?"

I adore Mary Poppins! She was pretty much one of my role models growing :)

I've decided that for this month's pick, I'm going with Exit, Pursued by a Bear. This has been on my radar for awhile, and it follows a female character named Hermione (I love her already) as she deals with the aftermath of being raped. I've heard such good things about this book and about Hermione as a character, so I'm sure she'll fit into the badass female category nicely!

message 43: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 248 comments Mod
WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I think I'm going to go with A Great and Terrible Beauty for this month. I own a copy + wanted to read it for a while :)"

That's great! I've been wanting to read that book too, so I'm looking forward to your review :D

message 44: by Yasmine (new)

Yasmine (Swissbookworm) | 19 comments I already read the first book for February which is The Blood of Olympus. Without doubt the Greek and Roman demigods have a lot of kickass female characters! :) I'm also maybe going to read Throne of Glass or Glass Sword and maybe some other great books for this month. :)) Can't wait to see what I'll be able to manage from my TBR for this one :)

message 45: by Saskia (new)

Saskia (Saskia2088) | 7 comments Sooo I have started First Class from the Black Mage series today and I already like Ry. She is a redhead like me :D We will see.

message 46: by Natulcien (new)

Natulcien | 216 comments Saskia wrote: "Sooo I have started First Class from the Black Mage series today and I already like Ry. She is a redhead like me :D We will see."

Really hope you'll enjoy First Year. I'm going to start Candidate (book 3) tonight and I'm very excited :-)

message 47: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Natulcien wrote: "Saskia wrote: "Sooo I have started First Class from the Black Mage series today and I already like Ry. She is a redhead like me :D We will see."

Really hope you'll enjoy First Year. I'm going to s..."

Can't wait till tomorrow, Last Stand comes out!!! I've heard from many people including Inge that it is quite a good book :)

message 48: by Natulcien (new)

Natulcien | 216 comments Arika wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "Saskia wrote: "Sooo I have started First Class from the Black Mage series today and I already like Ry. She is a redhead like me :D We will see."

Really hope you'll enjoy First Ye..."

I can't wait to finish Candidate (I'm only a couple of pages in) so I can read the final book. Although I'll probably be sad to say goodbye to the characters. It's saying a lot about this series that I've marathoned it. I never do that because by the time I read the second book, I lose interest and I have to put the book down!

message 49: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Stanley | 17 comments Anyone looking for bad-ass women this month, but struggling to find something to read - I have a suggestion. The Last Dragon Slayer is free and Vashni is definitely bad-ass. Though she's an elf, so I'm not entirely sure that counts! :P

message 50: by Martyn (last edited Feb 07, 2017 02:11AM) (new)

Martyn Stanley | 17 comments I'm actually reading The Last Wish I don't know if Triss and Yen from the game (Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt) are in it yet, but if they are, they are both definitely bad-ass.

« previous 1