World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > the trail not taken

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore Friends in WWW,
I wasn't sure where to put this, but here goes: I'm so busy writing now (I've been derelict about posting on Goodreads, my favorite social media for that reason) that I wonder how I used to be a single parent, hold down a serious day-job (with "homework" often included!), and still write. Because people often ask me related questions, I'm asking other type-A's out there if they have any new suggestions I can offer those new writers or wannabe writers who query me about this. My pat answer is: get organized. But that's not detailed enough.
I'll catalog your suggestions for future editions of my little writing course (available as a PDF free for the asking), but I won't use specific names, just good ideas. (Or you could create your own writing course, copyright it, and send me a copy!)
r/Steve

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13743 comments Making it big time and early retirement may free awfully lot of time for writing -:) That's what Tarantino is planning to do, as far as I understand, and Barack Obama is already doing.

Seriously though, despite time constraints it's important to allocate time for fun, be it writing or something else. There is always time and it becomes the question of priorities..

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments This is such a great idea!

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore I'm looking for a few more details, guys. Scheduling decisions, whatever. I now remember writing story ideas on napkins at Peet's (no Starbucks, but it could be) while my wife was window shopping, for example. Little suggestions might help our colleagues....

message 5: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2151 comments My brother was in the region last weekend so we went out to Gatlinburg, TN because he wanted to see the aftermath of the wildfires. The first night we stayed in a motel independently owned and operated. Because these types of operations are run by the owners instead of by someone hiring a manager, my mind went to how many hours the couple has to put in to run their business. At the end of the day, they can't take vacation without shutting down the business. They're probably tending the desk from sunup to sundown while remaining on call during their sleeping hours. That motel is their life and still they own it and operate it and put in the hours. If you want to do something bad enough, you find the time - and if you don't think you have the time, then you make it. There are always sacrifices to be made when needed, though sometimes you have to take a hard look to find what can be sacrificed.

One of my favorite stupid, silly sayings is "nothin' to it, but to do it."

message 6: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore J.J.,
Yes, you've got to wonder how people like this--owners of B&B's and other mom-and-pop ops--manage. Our favorite place on Cape Cod is an inn. The couple running it are not only type-A's but extremely hard-working people who still manage to interact with the guests.
I had to put my writing aspirations on hold for many years to put food on the table--some years as a single parent--but I stole time to do little things that now make my writing life easy. I'll never have writer's block, for example.
Your comment suggests a possible truism: each one of us has to find the time where s/he can as a function of their individual situations. So maybe I'll have to consider some of these and how a wannabe author might respond to them to find that time.
Keep it coming, guys!
r/Steve