CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2017 > February/March 2017: Canada Reads Challenge - book discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 143 (143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3567 comments Mod
Hi everyone, since the short-list is being announced next week and many of our readers might appreciate a bit of extra reading time, the Canada Reads challenge will be spread over both March and April.

message 2: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! I wait all year for this!!

message 3: by ❀ Susan (new)

2 more sleeps @Allison!!! It is very exciting!

message 4: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 644 comments Me too. I even downloaded an app to hide my VPN to ensure CBC didn't block me from listening or viewing anything.

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments Good move, @Rainey! Are you going to make a mug this year?? :)

message 6: by ❀ Susan (new)

is there a live stream to the announcement?

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments Susan, in years past, the shortlist has been released on Q, with the host introducing defenders and books one by one. You could watch online or listen on radio. I haven't seen any mention this year! Also, they haven't done any hinting or given any teasers at all, so it's hard to know.

message 8: by Rainey (last edited Jan 29, 2017 08:12AM) (new)

Rainey | 644 comments @Allison. Lol I will probably make a mug. I will let you know.

It will be on q. I listenes to his interview with Clara Hughes about tips for this years panelists, and he said they would be on this show tuesday.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/thursday-ja...

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments The digital library had long waiting lists for the one or two copies of the books I wanted to read so I broke down and bought two of them via Kindle. They were on sale and I can use the Kindle app on my phone to read them. I picked up Nostalgia by M.G. Vassanji for $4.99 and The Break by Katherena Vermette for $8.87. As I finish the books I've got on the go now, I'll start into them. I did get holds put on two at the library that seem like a chance of borrowing before the debates start, The Elephants in My Backyard: A Memoir by Rajiv Surendra and Quantum Night by Robert J. Sawyer. Realistically, I don't know if i'll get my hands on any more before the debates and with my luck, none of the four I'm planning to read will be on the shortlist but there are a couple more I'd like to read from the longlist this year anyway.

I'm looking forward to the debates though it's difficult to listen live since it always happens while i'm at work. Waiting for the evening isn't as much fun if things get spoiled!

message 10: by Natasha (last edited Jan 29, 2017 12:03PM) (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments Count me in. I've already read one, but I'll hold of until Feb. 1 to start a new one. I have Company Town, Quantum Night, Nostalgia, Fifteen Dogs (thanks to my Secret Santa Shvaugn) and The Just City ready to go. I have holds on the rest, and I shouldn't have to wait too long for most of them.

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments If anyone is on Hoopla (or can access with a library card) they have e-copies of The Break and Today I Learned It Was You. Immediate borrowing for a three-week period.

message 12: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments @Rainey -- thanks for the link to the Q interview! With so many snow and sick days for kids last week, I barely turned on my radio, so I missed this!

message 13: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 644 comments You are welcome. I read Fifteen Dogs last year for my BDA bookclub.

I have read Company Town and Sleeping Giants, so I have 3 down.

3 others that interested me are on hold at the library so I hope they come in next monrh.

message 14: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments I've read Knucklehead and Sleeping Giants and am about 25% through The Right To Be Cold: One Woman's Story of Protecting Her Culture, the Arctic and the Whole Planet, so hopefully at least one gets through! Last year I got three done before the short list, and two got through.

message 15: by Mj (new)

Mj Am excited about the announcements as well but am disappointed about the lack of hints for defenders this year. Thought we had a lot of fun guessing last year.

Don't see a problem reading all 5 on the short-list in time for the announcement. Did so in 2016 & 2015 when I started following Canada Reads seriously. Before that I had never listened nor watched on tv or online and my reads were after the fact based on what appealed.

This year I've got the time set aside.

Except for D'Allaire's book I'm 1st or 2nd on the Hold List for all 15 longlisted books except 15 Dogs which I've read before and may listen to on Audio in 2017 for an Audio Bingo Square. The library even ordered even this page is white after a recommendation although it hasn't been received in the library yet. I have all the holds frozen so I can release them one at a time so I have time to read them rather than have all of them arriving at once and forcing me to read too fast. Gotta love that Hold and FREEZE library feature!!

Have no strong ideas, just some hunches, about who's coming and what books are coming. Can't wait!!

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane (Tvor) | 357 comments We don't know what the actual theme is yet either, do we? I was watching a bit of 2015's Cr on CBC video and that was "breaking barriers". All we have so far is the book all Canadians should read but that's kind of the end result of the whole debate, that the winner is that special book. I can't really picture a theme that could relate to all the books in the longlist, they're so different from each other.

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments Last night I was dreaming about Canada Reads ALL NIGHT LONG. :)

Last year I know that the shortlist was revealed as the very first item on Q. Hopefully it's the same this year!

message 18: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 428 comments Yes, I am so excited, I am really crossing my fingers for Katherina Vermette and The Break, would be so nice to put a Winnipeg author on a wider platform.

message 19: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments @Allison I want to hear more about the dream!

message 20: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments Natasha wrote: "@Allison I want to hear more about the dream!"

HAHA! All I remember is waking up about 100 times and thinking about Canada Reads! I think it was just about the release of the short list, but it was over and over and over. I wonder what tonight will bring! :)

By the way -- I managed to rearrange my earlier morning appointment for tomorrow (the one before hubby's surgery consult)! That means I'll be busy only after 11. And I won't be driving until 10:30. SOOOO... if they do the release online before I have to leave, I'll be able to watch it all, and if they do it before 11, I'll be able to at least listen in the car!

Priorities!

message 21: by Mj (new)

Mj As Rainey indicated earlier - the panelists and books will be revealed on Q tomorrow (Tues Jan 31st ). The "full" show starts at 10 am EST. Just be forewarned, if it's anything like last year's or the previous year's reveal (unable to remember which) don't give up waiting. It wasn't until the very end of the program, just before sign-off that the announce the Canada Reads details were announced.

@ Allison - I think it might be an "in the car" radio listen for you. According to their schedule they will also have as guests on the show - soprano Measha Bruegerrgosman and comedienne Aparna Nancherla. Good luck again with the surgery consult. Hope you and your hubby have all your questions answered and you both leave feeling optimistic and confident.

message 22: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments @Allison Good luck with the consult! Hope it all goes well.

@MJ I remember it being at the end of the show last year. Thanks for the reminder.

message 23: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments Oh, I'd forgotten it was the end of the show. Huh. Maybe in all my excitement, I blocked out the rest of last year's show and remembered it as first. :)

Anyway, if it's after 11am my time, I'll be depending on all of you to update this site somewhere!

message 24: by Mj (new)

Mj @ ❀ Susan Gibson - Nice to see your smiling face on Indigo's Facebook. Thanks for posting your question early this morning about whether the Canada Reads author event with Heather Reisman at 7 pm EST at Indigo's Bloor Street address will be streamed live for those living outside of Toronto. I can't find out anything on the CBC website either. Keep getting shuttled back and forth between Indigo and CBC.

Certainly hope the answer is Yes.

https://www.facebook.com/events/25816...

message 25: by ❀ Susan (new)

No response from Indigo yet - hopefully soon.

I have to admit, that i have been so focused on the shortlist that I have not been thinking about the defenders. One more sleep!!

message 26: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 73 comments I love the enthusiasm here!! I was looking forward to the shortlist too, but after reading through this thread, my excitement has grown exponentially!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments I've never seriously followed Canada Reads before, but you folks have me so excited!

message 28: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments Colleen, last year we had a running conversation during the debates that was really real-time fun too! I'm sure we'll find a spot for that this year once the debates get going. So fun!

message 29: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Allison - wondering if we should have the specific book discussion here and the general debate discussion in the here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... in the contests and awards discussion? thoughts?

message 30: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments Yeah, @Susan, that makes sense to me. I'm fine with it, unless anyone else has a different suggestion.

Last year there were a lot of postings DURING the debates, which takes a lot of space, but was pretty fun and kept the enthusiasm high. :)

message 31: by Mj (last edited Jan 30, 2017 07:29PM) (new)

Mj My preference would be to keep everything in one spot. Seems like when we have 2 or 3 discussions going on, the posts end up sometimes disconnected or repeated.

Another possibility, if you really think we're going to have a lot of discussion, is keep this spot for debate comments etc. and open a Discussion Group for each of the 5 short-listed books "if you think we're going to have a lot of discussion about each book." At least that way the book discussion would be in one place rather than over possibly 8 different Friday Spine-Crackers since we could each be reading them at different times over almost 2 months.

message 32: by ❀ Susan (last edited Jan 30, 2017 07:41PM) (new)

@MJ - I am not so keen to open 5 additional threads on top of the two we have - this one which is our reading challenge for February/March and the original in the Contests and Awards section. we already have 2 so if i archive one of them, we will lose comments to the archive section.

I think for now, i will label each - this one book discussion and the contest and awards as general discussion and see how it goes or if we have any other comments.

message 33: by ❀ Susan (new)

The wait is over! This was on fb this morning ap posted by cbc books: http://www.cbc.ca/books/mobile/touch/...

Let the reading begin!!!

message 34: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 539 comments WoooHooo!

message 35: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 73 comments I can't wait to get started!

message 36: by ✿✿✿May (last edited Jan 31, 2017 05:55AM) (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Let the mad dash to the library begins, lol!!
I read Fifteen Dogs & The Break already, so 3 books to read for me.

message 37: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "The wait is over! This was on fb this morning ap posted by cbc books: http://www.cbc.ca/books/mobile/touch/...

Let the reading begin!!!"

Awesome!! I've read two (The Break and 15 Dogs) and have two on my TBR pile (Nostalgia and The Right to be Cold). I'm not a fan of sci-fi but I suppose I could read ONE sci-fi book, lol.

My prediction? The Break as the winner!

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan | 743 comments Although I think it's odd to have 1 nonfiction title battling against 4 fiction titles, this list looks better than I'd thought we might end up with. :-)

I'd read only 2 from the long list before it was announced and they both made the short list, so that worked out well! I've just requested Company Town from the library, so I guess I'll be reading that one first. I'm going to pay the big bucks and buy a copy of The Break from an Amazon seller. I haven't had much luck with Vassanji in the past, so I'm not sure whether I'll read that one. I'll look forward to hearing what others in the group think - maybe you'll change my mind!

message 39: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Susan wrote: "I haven't had much luck with Vassanji in the past, so I'm not sure whether I'll read that one. I'll look forward to hearing what others in the group think - maybe you'll change my mind!"

Which ones have you tried? I've read two, The In-Between World of Vikram Lall and The Book of Secrets. Both were 3 star reads. I don't *love* his books but I find them good enough to read.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan | 743 comments Louise, I've read The In-Between World of Vikram Lall and The Assassin's Song, both of which were just okay for me. I tried The Book of Secrets but did not finish it.

message 41: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments I really liked The In-Between World of Vikram Lall, and am looking forward to reading my second of his, Nostalgia.

The Break does seem like it's got a lot of support, @Louise! The non-fiction may have a unique advantage, just with its form -- hard to know! I'm half way through it. It's at times dry (lots of bureaucracy talk) but it also packs a really important message. Enlightening in many ways, at least for me.

message 42: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Susan - I noticed that chapters has all the choices for 40% off before you buy from amazon (although maybe it will be the same)

message 43: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 599 comments I am sure looking forward to a few more Canada Reads to add to my list over the next few months. I had read a few at the end of December, The Break- my favorite, One Hour in Paris: A True Story of Rape and Recovery- not for me, and attempted I Am Woman: A Native Perspective on Sociology and Feminism but just couldn't get into it. In January I finished Fifteen Dogs- loved it, Waiting for First Light: My Ongoing Battle with PTSD- heart wrenching and raw, and just finished up Knucklehead- really enjoyed the ride of this one! Alas I am now waiting for the 3 shortlist books I haven't read. I would have liked to have read a few more on the longlist and have two of them on e-book loans right now. Now I better get reading!

message 44: by HeatherLynn (new)

HeatherLynn | 21 comments I am interested to hear Jody Mitic's defense of Nostalgia. I have mixed feelings about the book - it will certainly provoke discussion.

My plan is to read Company Town in early March.

I am glad I read The Right To Be Cold: One Woman's Story of Protecting Her Culture, the Arctic and the Whole Planet. I read it around the time I read The Break, and I found the two to be complementary, particularly the early chapters and the focus on strong indigenous women.

My vote (for now) is for The Break.

message 45: by Alan (new)

Alan | 542 comments I used to really be into Canada Reads but this year I'm just going to let it wash over me-beyond me..whatever. I read Fifteen Dogs
last year and really liked it, although I wouldn't want to read it again, and none of the other books except for The Break interest me in the least-it's just a genre mostly that doesn't appeal to me
and the one on climate-my head already hurts too much from too
much bad news day after day. I thought I might want to try the
Vassanji because I've never read him but when I looked it up it
seems to be more speculative fiction and I just don't go there. So I'm out this year Canada...sorry..but please read ahead!

message 46: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1928 comments Alan wrote: "the one on climate-my head already hurts too much from too much bad news day after day. ..."

@Alan, I can certainly relate to this sentiment.

I'm working my way through The Right To Be Cold: One Woman's Story of Protecting Her Culture, the Arctic and the Whole Planet now, and I can really only do about ten pages at a time. It does, like you say, feel like another "piling on" of miserable news.

Maybe that's why I enjoyed Sleeping Giants from the long list as much as I did. It was escapist -- aliens on Earth. It's normally not my scene, but it did feel like something of a departure from the every day!

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments I've read the Break, and I have The Right To Be Cold: One Woman's Story of Protecting Her Culture, the Arctic and the Whole Planet on hold at the library.
I must admit, the other three aren't very appealing to me, so I'll see how I do.

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan | 461 comments Also, Fifteen Dogs won the Giller last year, I'm a bit surprised they put it on the Canada Reads short list.

message 49: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments If you go back to the beginning of Canada Reads, there were some really great books on the show. But I was disappointed with last year's shortlist and this year's doesn't look much better with the exception of The Break. I think part of the problem is trying to come up with a new theme every year. They should stick to the one theme, which book should every Canadian read, and perhaps choose books published in the previous year.

message 50: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Feb 02, 2017 05:10AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments I was checking the library and Audible to figure out where I could source each of the shortlisted books and was surprised to see that only two have audiobooks: Fifteen Dogs and Company Town. I ended up buying a copy of Nostalgia (40% off at Chapters) since there wasn't a copy at the library. Although the 40% is off the hardcover price and it's out in paperback the end of February, which is cheaper again.

« previous 1 3