Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Looking For a Book About.. > The Maurya Empire

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anirudh (new)

Anirudh | 9 comments Hi I am looking for a book set in the Maurya Empire (preferably fiction) Has anyone come across a well written book on this?

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Shannon (last edited Jan 29, 2017 10:25AM) (new)

Shannon | 37 comments I haven't read any books about this time period but I found a quora question about it. If you just look up novels on Mauryan Empire (what I did), you should find the site fairly easily if that appeals to you. A few books I found that sound good but that I haven't read are
The Prince of Patliputra (Asoka trilogy, #1).

Chandragupta - Path of a Fallen Demigod

Chanakya's Chant

The last one seems like it will be the easiest to find as it has far more reviews than the others, but here are the best I could find for you to at least get started. Hope this helps.

message 3: by Anirudh (new)

Anirudh | 9 comments Shannon wrote: "I haven't read any books about this time period but I found a quora question about it. If you just look up novels on Mauryan Empire (what I did), you should find the site fairly easily if that appe..."

Thanks. I did come across Chanakya's Chant but it is not a well written book. Will check out the other ones.

message 4: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments This is a tricky one. I had never heard of the Mauryan Empire before so had to look it up and give myself a learning.
Didn't last very long I see.

I am wondering if you might get glimpses of the culture depicted in any Alexander the Great historical fiction?

message 5: by Anirudh (new)

Anirudh | 9 comments Terri wrote: "This is a tricky one. I had never heard of the Mauryan Empire before so had to look it up and give myself a learning.
Didn't last very long I see.

I am wondering if you might get glimpses of the c..."

The Maurya Empire? It lasted Maybe 150 years then was succeeded by Gupta I think. It was pretty big though, most of ancient India plus probably Current Afghanistan.

They were mostly Post Alexander's time so not really sure. I was interested to read about Chanakya and how he helped build an empire

message 6: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Yeah. 150 years isn't vast. :-)

I had read that they made moves to land grab as Alexander was leaving. Went to war to gain control of lands left unstable as Alexander departed.

message 7: by Anirudh (new)

Anirudh | 9 comments Terri wrote: "Yeah. 150 years isn't vast. :-)

I had read that they made moves to land grab as Alexander was leaving. Went to war to gain control of lands left unstable as Alexander departed."

Yeah I guess. India didn't have many long standing empires that big. There were mostly kingdoms. Makes sense considering our different cultures and landscapes.

I don't remember correctly but Chanayka helped found an empire. Chandragupta was already heir to a kingdom I think at that time

message 8: by Anirudh (new)

Anirudh | 9 comments Just checked, turns out he did conquer Successors of Alexander when he formed the empire. Eventually marrying the successor's daughter to stabilize relationships and opening contacts with Hellenic World

message 9: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Hmm. I wonder if, while there isn't much historical fiction that directly deals with the Maurya Empire, maybe there are some that have crossover within a story on other cultures.

Such as ones set in Afghanistan?