Mental Health Bookclub discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 Group Reads - Mental Health > 2017 MH Book Choosers - Sign Up Thread

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Hi all,

For our Mental Health group reads this year, I'd love to have 12 volunteers to choose a mental health book and lead the discussion.

What you'll be doing:
- Choosing a book at least a month in advance of your assigned month to give people a chance to acquire the book. If you want to volunteer for Feb, it'd be great if you had a book in mind so I can get that out asap!
- Choosing a book that is widely available (i.e. available on sites such as Amazon, ideally also available in ebook and audio book format)
- Choosing a book that is not too pricey - a lot of people are put off by having to buy an expensive book, so the cheaper the better. If it's a book that's been around for a while and is quite widely available, it's likely to also be available in local libraries
- No self-nominations for your own work please!

- It'd be great if you can read the book in advance (or have previously read the book) so you can think up a few discussion points ready to go at the start of the month.
- We've previously had multiple threads per book, but as we didn't get a lot of discussion I think we can stick to one thread and write a few discussion prompts in the first post

If you're nervous about volunteering, please don't be! I'm here to support at any time, and can help you choose a book if you've got a few in mind and/or help you think of some good discussion prompts. Likewise, if you're happy with it then I'm happy not to get involved!

Please state your name and if there's a particular month you'd like to sign up for or if you're happy with any month.

Go go go!

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Hi Martha, this is a great idea! I'd like to volunteer – I'm happy with any month, but please not February as there isn't much of January left to think about the book and prompts and actually read the book beforehand.

Do I already state the book, or do I wait? I'm currently thinking about it, but have nothing specific in mind at this point.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Yay thanks Marina! No problem, would March be ok? Have a think about it and if you could message me in a week or so with the book? Or if you need more time I could put you down for April and you just need to let me know beginning of March

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Sure, March looks good! I'll message you in a couple days or so :)

message 5: by Livia (new)

Livia (musicgeek4891) Awesome idea! I'd love to be a part of it and run a month during the summer, either June or July would be great! Let me know! :)

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Fab thanks Livia! I'll put you down for June, so just let me know your book around the start of May (or earlier if you know what you want)

message 7: by Ladyfilosopher (new)

Ladyfilosopher I hope this goes well Martha, and I hope that the limited response to my earlier offer of collectively reading a seminal book is not representative of the general interest. The reading group for Gilligan's "In a Different Voice" still is active and open to new participants

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Thanks Ladyfilosopher. Would you like to volunteer for a month? You could use the Gilligan book as your choice?

message 9: by Ladyfilosopher (new)

Ladyfilosopher Sure, It would have to be July or August or Oct

message 10: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Great, I'll put you down for July,

Thanks!

message 11: by Agnes (new)

Agnes Hi group! I'd like to volunteer for later in the year - August onwards.

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Hey Agnes! Thanks for volunteering, I'll put you down for August. If you already know the book then let me know, but no worries if not, just let me know by 1st July. Thanks!

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Hi team, still looking for volunteers to choose books and lead discussions on MH books! Don't be afraid, I'm here to support in whatever way you need, but I'd love to get more people actively involved in shaping this group, and make sure it's not just me doing all the book choosing!

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather Salter-Purves (thelycanproject) Hi everyone

My name is Heather and I would love to join and be part of the discussions and happy to run and later month, this will also be my first book club and I'm super exited

message 15: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Yay welcome Heather! Thanks for volunteering, can I put you down for September? Do you already have a book in mind? Don't worry if not, just let me know by 1st August so it gives people time to get hold of the book

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather Salter-Purves (thelycanproject) That will be great I'll come up with a few and maybe you could
Let me know it you have already read them

message 17: by Jamaica (last edited Jun 13, 2017 02:55PM) (new)

Jamaica Youth | 5 comments Hello, I'd like to volunteer to lead a discussion and/or suggest the book 'A Line made by Walking' by Sara Baume... https://www.amazon.com/Line-Made-Walk... :) thank you, J

message 18: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Hi Jamaica, thanks for volunteering! Had a quick look at the book, it wasn't clear from the synopsis how it's connected to mental health, could you clarify?

message 19: by Ladyfilosopher (new)

Ladyfilosopher Hi, have left some messages in different places. I am still getting to grips with the platform here and realise only now that I have been bit confused. I am ready to moderate, hold, lead a group reading on Gilligan's In a Different Voice. I look forward to this commitment.

message 20: by Ladyfilosopher (new)

Ladyfilosopher Martha wrote: "Thanks Ladyfilosopher. Would you like to volunteer for a month? You could use the Gilligan book as your choice?"
Hi, I am here! Was confused about the platform and all the emails for other material. I have a link to offer those who have not bought the book. This can be 'borrowed'
for free on line at this internet archive site. https://archive.org/details/indiffere...
one has to register. Where do we start posting our thread conversation and exchanges?

message 21: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Hi Ladyfilosopher, sorry I'd assumed you didn't want to do it as I hadn't heard back, but no problem I'll set up a thread for you to discuss the book in

message 22: by Ladyfilosopher (new)

Ladyfilosopher wonderful, and i apologise for not having figured it out earlier.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.