World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Alice in Wonderland
This topic is about Alice in Wonderland
Book and Film Discussions > Drugs inspired or not?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13836 comments Have watched the movie with half an eye yesterday and recalled the story read a long time ago, enjoying the worldwide fame.
Looks like a psychedelic trip and as I understand the question kinda hovers:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-1925...

So is it just the flight of fantasy or might've been influenced by narcotic substances?

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike | 181 comments you know, i haven't tried it, but my recollection is that you need to watch it with the sound off, while listening to pink floyd's "dark side of the moon." that's the secret.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13836 comments -:) Makes sense actually

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9811 comments In my view, the story of Alice was actually inspired by the mathematical contradictions the author thought up, together with some aspects of Victorian life. The Mad Hatter, for example, was one extreme of what was happening - hat-makers did tend to go mad because they used mercury compounds in preparing their felts. Running faster to stay in the same place was just a quirk of Galilean relativity transferred to Victorian society.

However, the link was interesting in that I did not know a job at Oxford at the time required celibacy. How weird. Not that that would have stopped many of them. Think of a number of popes, such as the Borgia pope.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13836 comments More opinions maybe?