World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Ads in Financial Times

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13749 comments They are super expensive, but do you think they might be worth a try for financial/political thriller, for example?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments I would conduct an experiment. Skim the publication until you see a new ad appear for a book. Make a note of the date and go to Amazon and record the books rank. Continue to skim the publication until the ad runs it's course. Wait three days and then record the books ranking again on Amazon. If the author has other titles out also record their ranking at the beginning and end of the ad run. This will not tell you how many copies of the book were sold but it will give you an idea of how you can expect to improve in the rankings, more or less. This Will only be a bit time consuming but will give you the information that will help before making such a substantial financial commitment. But yes, I am a big fan of going where your readers are :-)

message 3: by Uri (new)

Uri Norwich | 33 comments As we say in the USA, "been there, done that..."
Does not work!---- for one simple reason--people reading FT, WSJ, etc. have no time for those books, let alone adds for them, unless there is a way to monetize the info.
I do "skim" those publications every morning when most of he people are still fast asleep to get an idea about "the winds blowing in the markets." Also, keep in mind that the printed word in those pubs is "yesterday'sThe American Deluge news."

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13749 comments Tara Woods Turner wrote: "I would conduct an experiment. Skim the publication until you see a new ad appear for a book. Make a note of the date and go to Amazon and record the books rank. Continue to skim the publication un..."

Good idea for an experiment! Just need to find where to get those papers as press in English is not widely circulated here -:)

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13749 comments Uri wrote: "Does not work!---- for one simple reason--people reading FT, WSJ, etc. have no time for those books..."

That it doesn't work may be true. Assuming though that those who read FT have no time for reading may also be true to some degree, but that's a wild generalization. I know a few businessmen myself who read both FT and books -:) There is still jet time. One even goes to a literary class of a sort. Yeah, most are quite busy, but still strive to combine some pleasures into their busy schedules. Remember Zuckerberg's NY resolution to read a book every fortnight? Don't know whether he followed through though..
You too, I see, find some time to indulge in writing despite heavy traffic on Wall

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Nik wrote: "Tara Woods Turner wrote: "I would conduct an experiment. Skim the publication until you see a new ad appear for a book. Make a note of the date and go to Amazon and record the books rank. Continue ..."

Good luck boss :)

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9725 comments Me, I suspect Uri is right - the people who read the Financial Times would at best very quickly skim read ads, and only look at an ad if it related to something they knew they wanted. However, i could be wrong. If anyone wants to try it, let us know the results!