Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Personal Challenges > Kelly's Personal Challenges

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments I am borrowing from Pink. I may use some of her lists as is, but will likely edit to include what I need/want.

message 2: by Kelly_Hunsaker_reads (last edited Sep 30, 2017 08:48PM) (new)

message 3: by Kelly_Hunsaker_reads (last edited Aug 29, 2017 06:20PM) (new)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments BANNED BOOKS TO READ:

The Grapes of Wrath Steinbeck 18 April
To Kill a Mockingbird Lee 3 April
The Color Purple Walker 28 Aug
Lord of the Flies Golding 8 May
1984 Orwell 11 Jan
Of Mice and Men Steinbeck 1 April
As I Lay Dying Faulkner
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Kesey
Lady Chatterley's Lover Lawrence
In Cold Blood Capote
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Twain 25 January
Their Eyes Were Watching God Hurston

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Looks great so far! Are these all first time reads for you? I read Austen's books a couple of years ago, after putting them off for so long, as I didn't think I'd like them very much. Wrong! I thought they were great and now I look forward to re-reading my favourites.

I'm working through Gaskell and Woolf, but Dickens is a different matter for me. I've only read A Christmas Carol and didn't enjoy it, now I keep delaying him as I'm sure that I won't like the rest, but maybe one day I'll give him a try. Hard Times which is his shortest finished novel is even our group read for next month, so I don't really have any excuses not to join in!

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3944 comments Russians ... yay! So many I haven't read. These are great lists Kelly. I'm also trying to read all of Dickens, Austen, and Woolf, and I'll be reading Doctor Zhivago soon, but now I see all these other great Russian novels I must read too ...!

Have fun. :-)

message 6: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) You do have great lists. I love Austen and Dickens, and Steinbeck from your banned list is one of my favorites too. Enjoy!

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Indeed yes, wonderful set of lists.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Pink wrote: "Looks great so far! Are these all first time reads for you? I read Austen's books a couple of years ago, after putting them off for so long, as I didn't think I'd like them very much. Wrong! I thou..."

I too have avoided Austen. I dont normally read romance, so they frighten me. Thank you for the inspiration! I am new to the classics and to the book challenges but I am now obsessed!

message 9: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments That sounds like me! I'm glad you're being inspired to read more classics. The challenges are fun and they help too :)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Does anyone have any ideas where to find some of the obscure Russian books?

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina What kind and how long? I have read some shorter stories and poetry.

message 12: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments For Russian books, or any books for that matter, I tend to check the following places -
1. Library
2. Project Gutenberg, for free out of copyright classics
3. Serial Reader app
4. Online search engine, which sometimes finds pdf versions (you'd need to check if they're breaking copyright for this, if that's something that bothers you)
5. Amazon
6. Online used book stores

Which titles are you having problems with? I got 'We' from the library, but I have seen it online in pdf format, or it's available to buy from Amazon or used bookstores.

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg (gregreadsalot) | 73 comments Kelly wrote: "Pink wrote: "Looks great so far! Are these all first time reads for you? I read Austen's books a couple of years ago, after putting them off for so long, as I didn't think I'd like them very much. ..."

Kelly, for me, Sense and Sensibility is one of the funniest books I've ever read. But you have to take the time to slow down to get all of the very subtle, almost hidden, jokes. I see it more as a comedy than a romance.

message 14: by Greg (new)

Greg (gregreadsalot) | 73 comments Pink wrote: "That sounds like me! I'm glad you're being inspired to read more classics. The challenges are fun and they help too :)"

Pink, sometimes, I think I should read ONLY books which have those cloth bookmarks built in: a giveaway you're in for a great read.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Brina wrote: "What kind and how long? I have read some shorter stories and poetry."

I have that list of 20 Russian books to read. Some are easy, but some are obscure and I don't have book stores easily accessible.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Pink wrote: "For Russian books, or any books for that matter, I tend to check the following places -
1. Library
2. Project Gutenberg, for free out of copyright classics
3. Serial Reader app
4. Online search eng..."

Thanks! I need to check into some of these. I am new to classics this year and do not have the Serial Reader app and do not know much about used bookstores online either. Can you share some of your favorites. I live in a small town in the mountains, and do not drive -- so never get to brick and mortar stores.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Greg wrote: "Pink wrote: "That sounds like me! I'm glad you're being inspired to read more classics. The challenges are fun and they help too :)"

Pink, sometimes, I think I should read ONLY books which have th..."

Greg -- I love that idea! Thanks for your thoughts on Sense and Sensibility. It will help me to get beyond my fear.

message 18: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2054 comments Great lists Kelly .. Good luck!

theres also Archive.org .

message 19: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Well I'm in the UK, but I tend to use Amazon marketplace or Abe books. Where do you usually get your books from? Do you use e-readers or prefer physical books?

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments I mostly use Audible.com. I sometimes am lucky enough to go to used bookstores and find books there, but otherwise all my shopping is online and usually is either the audio or kindle.

message 21: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments If you read kindle books then quite a few of these older classics should be available to you for free from Amazon, or on Project Gutenberg, which you can also read on your kindle. There's also Librivox, if Audible doesn't have them, which has the benefit of being free as well, although the narrators can be hit or miss.

Of the books still in copyright, most of them should be available at a reasonable price. For instance 'We' is on kindle for $1.28.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Kelly wrote: "I mostly use Audible.com. I sometimes am lucky enough to go to used bookstores and find books there, but otherwise all my shopping is online and usually is either the audio or kindle."

Kelly, if you like audiobooks and ebooks, you might be interested in Playster (www.playster.com). It a relatively new service, but it allows you to borrow unlimited books and audiobooks from their collection for I think about $10 a month. I am doing a free 30-day trial for their book service (they also have a more expensive plan that includes movies and music, but I just did books). They have a pretty decent collection of both classics and older books but also a good amount of newer books, including some brand new releases. I don't know if they'll be able to keep up the unlimited thing, since so far no similar service has been able to make "Netflix for books" work, but for now they're doing it. I have a few complaints about their app, but their selection is good enough that I might overlook that and keep my subscription after my trial ends.

message 23: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1920 comments siriusedward wrote: "Great lists Kelly .. Good luck!

theres also Archive.org ."

oooooohhhh! archive.org is goooood!

Thanks! :o)

message 24: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2054 comments you are welcome :)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Thanks for all the help! I will check out playster and librivox. I also don't know a lot about Project Gutenberg. I am loving Serial App already!

message 26: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Oh I'm glad to hear you've found and love the serial reader app, there's quite a few of us here that use it now!

Project Gutenberg is a huge online resource for books that are in the public domain, which means lots of free classics. Generally if you're reading a classic book that's over 100 years old it will be on there.

message 27: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1231 comments Oh wow, there are a lot more Steinbeck books than I was aware of!

(As for Sense&Sensibility, I think it's a massively undervalued book! Jane Austen was being not just subversive, but outright radical in that book. Although it helps if you have a working knowledge of early 19th century attitudes and societal mores. I find that there are a lot of books that are deemed as "romances" that are so much more than that, and if you read them just as a romance you miss out. Daphne du Maurier's work falls in that same category.)

message 28: by Kelly_Hunsaker_reads (last edited Jun 05, 2017 02:06AM) (new)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Sarah wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I mostly use Audible.com. I sometimes am lucky enough to go to used bookstores and find books there, but otherwise all my shopping is online and usually is either the audio or kindle...."

Can you update me? How are you liking Playster? What are its limitations?

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Kelly wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I mostly use Audible.com. I sometimes am lucky enough to go to used bookstores and find books there, but otherwise all my shopping is online and usually is either the au..."

I'm liking Playster so far. The selection of audiobooks is great and I like the unlimited access to their catalog. My only real complaint is that I have to frequently either pause the audiobook or bookmark my place in it or the app doesn't save my place in it. Audible's app always saved my progress in whatever book I was listening to so that I never had to worry about losing my place if the app froze or my tablet started acting flaky. I also had some minor issues making playlists in their app, which I have been using to save and categorize the books I'd eventually like to listen to, but if you have more than 50 items on a playlist, you can only view the most recent 50 items added. The app just needs some tweaking. But the service is working out well for me since it has a better selection of audiobooks and ebooks than the public library in my area and I don't have to wait for anything.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Thanks Sarah! I just joined and am currently listening to Wuthering Heights for a challenge I have on Facebook!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments BTW, I wish it was easy to tell who the narrator is and the length when it shows me all the versions they have of a particular book. And, I wish there were reviews, like on Audible.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Kelly wrote: "BTW, I wish it was easy to tell who the narrator is and the length when it shows me all the versions they have of a particular book. And, I wish there were reviews, like on Audible."

I know! And I wish they would clearly label unabridged vs abridged audiobooks. There are a lot of improvements they could make with the app, which I'm hoping in time they'll address. But I'm keeping it for now because I have a long commute to work and go through a lot of audiobooks each month!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments I do too. I do not work outside the home as I am disabled. But I listen to almost all of my books, so this could be the best subscription I have ever had. Thanks again for telling me about it.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Kelly wrote: "20 Great Russian novels you should read right now
(Taken from Qwiklit.com) MAYBE 2018

1. A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov
2. Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
3. [book:Oblomov|254..."

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments I am getting so close to finishing the Steinbeck list. I cannot find a copy of The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights so I may have to skip it. Anyone have ideas. I have checked the used bookstores, and it is not available on Playster.

message 36: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Kelly, is it possible for you to request it through an interlibrary loan? That would be my best bet in my location.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Thanks Laurie. I will check that out. My library is somewhat small, but maybe one of the others nearby have it.

message 38: by Kelly_Hunsaker_reads (last edited Nov 25, 2017 10:21PM) (new)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Victober Challenges:

1. Victorian book by a Scottish, Welsh or Irish Author Dracula
2. Lesser known Victorian book Cousin Phillis 29 Sep
3. Victorian Book with Supernatural Elements Lois the Witch
4. Victorian Book Recommended to Me Far from the Madding Crowd
5. Victorian Book by a Female Author - North and South

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Can I start a new thread for 2018?