Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Cry No More
This topic is about Cry No More
Archive > February's Book of the Month-Cry No More

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Fueled by an obsession to fill the void in other people’s lives, Milla Edge finds lost children—all the while trying to outrun the brutal emotions stemming from a tragedy in her past. Traveling to a small village in Mexico on a reliable tip, Milla begins to uncover the dire fate of countless children who have disappeared in the labyrinth of a sinister baby-smuggling ring. The key to nailing down the organization may rest with an elusive one-eyed man. As Milla’s search for him intensifies, the mission becomes more treacherous. For the ring is part of something far larger and more dangerous, reaching the highest echelons of power. Racing into peril, Milla suddenly finds herself the hunted—in the crosshairs of an invisible, lethal assassin who aims to silence her permanently.

message 2: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - added it

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 1121 comments Mod
I'm so excited for this one! technically, it'll be a reread but I read so long ago that I've forgotten most of it... I just remember that it was really good..!!

message 3: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I am glad you got your wish, Tanvi

message 4: by Eve (last edited Jan 30, 2017 01:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments description

I've read this story years ago, so I look forward re-reading it.

I think CRY NO MORE is one of the most gripping books that I've read about mother's loss and despair. This story is sad, emotional, bittersweet and yet...happy and hold out hope.
Milla was one great character to sympathize and cheer on. The hero was enigmatic and intriguing.

message 5: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I so agree. I think the first time I read it I didn't like it, because it was so bittersweet, however each successive time I have read it I fall in love with it more.

message 6: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - added it

I see what you mean Dee..I think when u read it the first time, I was in high school..and I don't think I fully grasped the emotions of the story, Milla's pain and suffering... that's why I've forgotten most of the story..but I really want to give it another go!

message 7: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Well I wasn't high school but I guess my life was in a different place so it wasn't as impactful.

message 8: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - added it

Dee wrote: "Well I wasn't high school but I guess my life was in a different place so it wasn't as impactful."

Oops! Fat fingers and all on the touchphone...and no edit/delete option on the GoodReads app. :p I meant to say that I was in high school when I read it for the first time. :) I couldn't relate to Milla enough then, I was much too young to understand and in a sheltered bubble, I guess.

message 9: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I got that. You didn't have fat fingers Tanvi.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments I just finished this one. This story pulls you in and doesn't let go; it's just so emotional.

I read this when it first came out and at that time it was a very hard read for me. My children were so young when this first came out and the story is so emotional that it was hard not think "what if my child were taken?"

message 11: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Methinks Cry No More is one of the best Linda Howard's books she has ever written. I guess you either love it or hate it. It creates so many different emotions and the theme was not one of the easier ones. Like CD said, it makes you think what if your child was taken. What to do? How to go on?

I think Linda Howard created good conflict and added unexpected twist and turns.
When Diaz knew how to find Milla's son but he destroyed the papers without telling her, then I wanted to hit him and felt betrayed. But in truth he had a good point -- after all those years Milla was just a strange woman to her son. Had Milla tried to take him away from his secure element, he would have felt confused, perhaps even started to hate her. I guess the most important thing for Milla was the certainty that her son was alive. Healthy, happy, protected, well taken care of and loved. It gave her piece of mind and kind of closure. Yet, it was so heartbreaking moment. Sometimes when you love, you have to let go.
Glad that the story ended like this!

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments It's people paying a lot of money for babies that creates the baby smuggling black market. I did have some issue with Justin's parents basically creating the theft by paying so much money. And they didn't really pay any price for the damage they caused.

Even back in 2003, if you made a specific request for a baby (blond, blue eyed) and paid a lot of money for an adoption, an intelligent person would have to know that there was a chance that something along the path of adoption was not legal.

Did anyone else have an issue with this?

message 13: by Eve (last edited Feb 22, 2017 11:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments CD, you've made very good point: people who buy their babies, help to support the baby smuggling business because they basically create the demand. There are lots of bastards who have no morals, who do not see any harm in stealing the babies away from their parents and selling them for money.

I guess Justin's parents seemed gullible and it created questions like how/why someone can be fooled into thinking that they've got their baby "legally". But in this case the criminals had created good cover for their operation and things seemed to be okay for an outsider (I seem to remember that Justin's adoptive parents had some doubts about the easiness of the adoption but they had no real evidence that something was rotten).

Marika | 78 comments I just finished re-reading Cry No More and I still enojoyed it.

I didn't have much issues with Justin's adoptive parents because they sounded sincere. But I was surprised that in the United States couples pay a lot of money when they want to adopt a baby. Is it usual or its only done when the baby comes from outside of orphanage? In my country you adopt a baby from the orphanage and you do not pay (one child off the state's keeping but all adoptive parents and their home conditions are checked very carefully before they can adopt).

I had more issues with Milla - she's looking for her child for years and years, and then she suddenly decides that its okay, I'm stranger to him and if he's adopted, I won't even try to meet him in person unless he wants it!
Suddenly all her work and search seemed pointless.
She could have meet him because a) Justin knew he was adopted and b) its not like Milla gave up her child at free will!
She had already lost 10 years because she didn't know where he was. But now she lost more years because she didn't want to disturb Justin's peaceful life with her adoptive parents??? It sounded silly.

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments I don't know if I could have signed adoption papers and walked away. Yes, he was very happy with his family. Yes, she got to know he was safe which she states was her most important need. Yes, it made for a more dramatic ending to the book. But I don't think I could have done it.

message 16: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments In the past, when we have read this I have asked if you could have signed the papers and walked away, I think overwhelmingly you have said yes you would allow Justin to stay with the family. My question now is could quietly just walked away without any contact. NONE. No pictures, no finding out about his school activities, like sports, plays, or first dates. Personally, I don't think I could have. Yes for the sake of the child I would have let them keep custody, but I could not have completely walked away. What about you?

message 17: by Eve (last edited Mar 02, 2017 10:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments When I first read this story I was like "No! No! How can you give up your son???" i just did not understand why Milla had to walk away from her son when she had done absolutely nothing wrong? She nearly lost her life when two man snatched her son...she had solely dedicated her life for the search and helping other parents in the process. Yet, SHE decided to sign the papers without knowing that perhaps her son was wondering about her birth mother and would have liked to meet her.

I also started to wonder how Justin's adoptive parents could go on with their lives like nothing had happened while knowing that their adoptive son had been kidnapped from her mother's hands, however, they waited for YEARS before telling anything to Justin.

Would Milla's presence in their lives have disturbed their lives so much that she had to completely walk away? Or would it have been been even harder and heartbreaking for Milla if they had kept the contact but her son would have regarded her as a stranger and outsider?
And when Justin finally learned about Milla and his beginnings, how he reacted? Its one thing for a child to know that he was adopted and believe that her parent gave him up but another to learn that he was taken away like this...

Well, this Milla's decision made for more dramatic ending and its good that Milla could find strength and will to go on, start new family.

And I'd say that Milla was one of the most selfless heroines I've ever read!

message 18: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - added it

I'm still reading it...will go through all the comments and add my thoughts when I'm done. :)

message 19: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Eve wrote: "When I first read this story I was like "No! No! How can you give up your son???" i just did not understand why Milla had to walk away from her son when she had done absolutely nothing wrong? She n..."

I never thought about Justin's parents being able to keep quiet after finding out how the baby was ripped from Milla. Your right how could they keep quiet, especially once Justin knew he was adopted. Why couldn't they just automatically sent them updates.

What's more what is up with the father. Would you have automatically after putting up a token fight just give him up without updates?

message 20: by Eve (last edited Mar 01, 2017 03:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Justin's father David divorced Milla one year after the abduction and he had rebuilt his life without Milla, without Justin. When David remarried and he and his new wife had had two children, he separated himself even more from his past. He helped Milla with money, so he was not quite an unfeeling bastard. I guess David did not have the same feelings towards Justin no longer, he had new family to take care for and it was easier for him to sign the papers than for Milla.
I only wonder what would have happened if David's and Milla's marriage had survived? How they would have reacted then when Justin's whereabouts were discovered?

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments I'm glad they told him once he became an adult or because he may have had questions. I just have to wonder how Justin felt when he found out he was a stolen baby. That's pretty heavy stuff for a young person to hear.

message 22: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - added it

I don't know what's going on...I still haven't finished reading Cry No More even though I know I loved it the first time I read it... I think I've gotten used to the larger font in (Trade?) Paperbacks in the last year or so and the tiny ant font in this Mass Market Paperback I have is making it harder for me to get through or want to keep reading...

message 23: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments You know I have the same problem Tanvi. For me it is my eyes are not what they use to be, but at any rate I have gotten into the habit of ordering large print books whenever possible and on Kindle I can make it any size I want. I can't tell you how many books I don't read because I can't get it in large print. I also listen to a LOT of audios

message 24: by Eve (last edited Mar 28, 2017 04:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Its quite interesting how some little things can influence your reading experiance. I usually don't have problems with print size of Market Paperback but sometimes the print quality is not so good (too light print and I have to strain my eyes).

Sometimes I've had problems with audiobooks. E.g. I recently listened to Dream Man audiobook. It was narrated by Phil Gigante whose voice actually has nice quality but he has no knack for good female voices in my opinion. I revolted every time the heroine said something because she sounded too shrill, whiny and weak and it nearly destroyed good Linda Howard book for me (its a good thing that it was not my first time to read this story or I would have given it very low rating!). But there are very good narrators like Susan Ericksen, Rebecca Soler, and of course Anna Fields who manage to bring the story to life and its a pleasure to listen to the story.

message 25: by Cheri (last edited Mar 28, 2017 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cheri (nannycil) | 349 comments I read this recently and loved it. I gave it 5 stars. It touched my emotions. I liked how Milla and Diaz both came outta their shells and tried something different by connecting with each other. I was glad she took that hiatus to grasp her anger and heartbreak. He was a good man to make her do that.

message 26: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Cheri wrote: "I read this recently and loved it. I gave it 5 stars. It touched my emotions. I liked how Milla and Diaz both came outta their shells and tried something different by connecting with each other. I ..."

They were a good match. He was such a strong male and one that helped her grieve the loss of her son. My only problem with this story was although I agree that for the sake of her son that she let him stay with his adopted family. That would have been too traumatic for all of them if she would have tried to take him back. However it really bothers me that both she and her ex did not keep up on the boys progress. For me that would have been a good compromise. He did not have to know who she or he was, but to see him occasionally like if he was in a play or a football game go to it. He didn't even have to know she/he was there.

message 27: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Eve wrote: "Its quite interesting how some little things can influence your reading experiance. I usually don't have problems with print size of Market Paperback but sometimes the print quality is not so good ..."

You are so right about the audios. There is one narrator, I can't remember who it was but she read the book like it was a book. No trying to bring the reader into the book by changing voices. I quit listening to the book and just went for the book. Also in the Cousin O'Dwyer trilogy by Nora Roberts the first one. In Dark Witch Katherine Kellgren did one of the witches voices like a screechy old voice very like the witches voice in Wizard of Oz. I COULD NOT listen to it!! The witch was a young mother, waiting for her husband to come home, not an old evil witch. I could not associate the character with the voice.

Cheri (nannycil) | 349 comments Tanvi wrote: "I don't know what's going on...I still haven't finished reading Cry No More even though I know I loved it the first time I read it... I think I've gotten used to the larger font in (Trade?) Paperba..."

I always try to get the hardback version but sometimes it just isn't available. I truly just do not like mass market paperbacks. The font and the ill ease of holding them just turns me off.

message 29: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Totally understand about that. I know that after a few pages of the mass market PB the words start to blur. I am now having to look for bigger font books, whether HB or large print.

message 30: by CD {Boulder Blvd} (last edited Apr 01, 2017 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments Dee wrote: "Cheri wrote: "However it really bothers me that both she and her ex did not keep up on the boys progress. For me that would have been a good compromise. He did not have to know who she or he was, but to see him occasionally like if he was in a play or a football game go to it. He didn't even have to know she/he was there. ..."

I think I would have wanted to keep track as well. Or maybe they needed the separation or they wouldn't have been able to walk away.

In regards to print size...I'm finding as the years pass, I'm having more and more problems...

message 31: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I keep looking for ward to the day my cataracts are bad enough for me to have surgery. Right now large print is blurry without glasses