Play Book Tag discussion

January 2017: Foreign Literature > Born a Crime - Trevor Noah 3/5

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole D. (last edited Jan 28, 2017 09:11AM) (new)

Nicole D. | 1470 comments It didn't take long to realize this was no ordinary book about race. I've never really read (listened) to a book about a kid just living his life in Apartheid South Africa. It was crazy and illuminating.

Noah came from poverty, from disadvantage, from abuse. He transcended so much and I feel so happy that he has achieved so much success. I enjoyed learning about him.

What I didn't love was the flow of the stories and maybe some of the editing. It felt like a bunch of stories that Noah had written over the course of his life, so that while most of them were interesting many of them were repetitive. I don't know how many times we were told how many languages he speaks, and then there's one story that goes on and on and we find out he doesn't speak that ONE language. It was kind of weird. Also, for whatever reason they didn't put the stories in order so you'd hear a story about how he did a certain thing at say 11, then several stories later he'd tell a story about that same house at like age 6. Anyway, that bugged me.

It was at times gut wrenching, but it was also a tale of survival.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7643 comments Noooo!! I shouldn't have read your review because I want to love this book as much as I love him!!! Still gonna listen to it.

message 3: by Ladyslott (last edited Jan 28, 2017 07:06AM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole R wrote: "Noooo!! I shouldn't have read your review because I want to love this book as much as I love him!!! Still gonna listen to it."

I loved it, I think you will too

Finished Wicked City 4 stars. Now I have to wait until July for Cocoa Beach and the continuation of the story. (The book is complete, but there is more to come). I think it's going to be a new series from her. Lots of Schulyers in this one. Also some Marshall's from A Certain Age.

Also there is a printable Family Tree here:

http://beatrizwilliams.com/?page_id=5...

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 28, 2017 07:36AM) (new)

Nicole R wrote: "Noooo!! I shouldn't have read your review because I want to love this book as much as I love him!!! Still gonna listen to it."

Me too! :-)

Nice review though, Nicole. Sorry you didn't like the flow of the stories. I hope that doesn't bug me too while listening to it.

message 5: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1470 comments You guys, 3 stars isn't bad. I liked it. Nicole I do think you will like it more than me. I don't watch (his) Daily Show and his humor is not my favorite.

message 6: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7643 comments His humor is very different from Jon Stewart's. He will never be Jon...I miss Jon, especially during the transition.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 28, 2017 03:21PM) (new)

Nicole R wrote: "His humor is very different from Jon Stewart's. He will never be Jon...I miss Jon, especially during the transition."

That is very true. I can empathize, as I miss Jon Stewart a lot and had difficulty watching The Daily Show right after he left. The more I watch Noah Trevor, especially lately, the more I appreciate his humor though.