Chat, Eat, and Read discussion

We Are Water, by Wally Lamb

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilith (new)

Lilith | 802 comments Mod
The library just called me!! I'm picking it up tomorrow!

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Heffner | 1076 comments Mod
Yippee!

message 3: by Lilith (last edited Jan 28, 2017 03:44AM) (new)

I know.,,,,what a relief....I'm starting this one on time! The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake...still pending....what ever gave me the impression that all these books would always be available....haha! For some reason, I didn't think a lot of people went to the library anymore and everyone was reading online

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Okay I just started reading this book. The prologue reminded me of I Know This Much Is True. I am honestly waiting for Dolores or one of the twins to make an appearance. I had a hard time getting into this book, but now I am learning more about Annie and Viveca.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol I am still trudging through the audio tapes, probably about 2/3 into it. It's okay but not great. Honestly I am continuing to listen because I am 'reading' it for this group and will count it towards some reading challenges, otherwise I would probably not finish it. It just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Funny thing is that when I heard the prologue, it was so familiar I realized I had read at least that much of it before. Pretty sure I had selected it years ago because I loved Lamb's IKTMIT so much. The rest of story is not so familiar so pretty sure I lost interested and did not continue reading too far past the prologue last time. Maybe when I get to the ending it too will come back to me and I will realize I did finish it before, but I doubt it...

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Cee Cee wrote: "I am still trudging through the audio tapes, probably about 2/3 into it. It's okay but not great. Honestly I am continuing to listen because I am 'reading' it for this group and will count it towar..."

I have to agree. I am only 30 or so pages in and it really isn't going anywhere. Annie seems really wishy washy. I loved his other books so I am hoping this gets better.

message 7: by Lilith (new)

I started reading this book and I just can't...I feel like it's such a different style than "I Know This Much is True" and "She Comes Undone." I tried to get into it, but I just couldn't.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Skip the prologue. It gets better I promise!!

message 9: by Lilith (new)

Ugghhh really?

message 10: by Lilith (new)

I dunno.....

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Yes!!!!

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol Deborah, what page are you on??

Lilith - did you stick with it?

I am finishing it today - on disc 19/19...

message 13: by Lilith (new)

I didn't . I just wasn't feeling it. I didn't necessarily think it would be exactly like his other books because I know authors sometimes switch things up, but it was far from what I was expecting...couldn't get into it. Did it change that much since the beginning?

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Cee Cee wrote: "Deborah, what page are you on??

Lilith - did you stick with it?

I am finishing it today - on disc 19/19..."

I am on page 100. I had every intention of reading last Sunday, but ended up napping. I am working two jobs for a bit longer. I am at the part where we are reading the back story on the ex husband. My second job was supposed to end last month, but is continuing through March. I am going to make a good dent this weekend. I should try to get ahold of the audio version so I can listen to it at work.

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Okay this book is getting better. I'm on page 91 where Annie and Minnie are talking. That Minnie cracks me up. Her twins Ronald and Donald!!!!

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol It got a little better in parts. Doubt I would have gotten through the book version.

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Okay, I am about 150 pages in. I feel a lot of this could have been left out or condensed. There is so much backstory it seems like it is taking forever to get to the present. I plan on finishing it in a week or so. I just wish it was a bit more fast paced.