J.D. Robb discussion

Dark of Night (Troubleshooters, #14)
This topic is about Dark of Night
Archive - 2017 Group Series Read > Dark of Night by Suzanne Brockmann (Troubleshooters #14) - February 2017 (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Feb 25, 2017 08:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13043 comments Mod
Badly shaken after the loss of one of their own, the men and women of Troubleshooters Inc. go up against their most deadly opponents yet - the clandestine organization, The Agency. Blackmail, extortion, murder: The Agency's black-ops sector will stop at nothing to achieve their objective. But this time they've gone too far and hit too close to home and the Troubleshooters are out for revenge.

Led by former Navy SEAL Lawrence Decker, a team of investigators - from FBI agent Jules Cassidy and former CIA operative Dave Malkoff, to Troubleshooters Sophia Ghaffari, Tess Bailey and receptionist Tracy Shapiro - band together to uncover the truth, and bring the killers to justice. But the stakes are raised even higher when Decker barely escapes an attempt on his life. It soon becomes clear that the hunters have become the hunted - and the Troubleshooters are no longer just solving a crime - they're fighting for survival.

Character List
(view spoiler)

Discussion Question #1
Discussion Question #2
Discussion Question #3
Discussion Question #4

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments really looking forward to reading this one....have it on hold on OverDrive now its just a matter of how long before it is available.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 687 comments I just ordered this from our local library. Looking forward to the story and discussion. Maybe we'll pick up loose ends from previous book; I imagine that's for sure, actually.

message 4: by Sandra (last edited Feb 09, 2017 11:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10255 comments Mod
I'll confess to having just finished this one. I had to know what happened with and to everyone! I loved it and am looking forward to the discussion.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 687 comments I finished reading this one yesterday and I am also looking forward to the multi-level discussion!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 502 comments only a bit more to go I am biting my nails

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 502 comments wow and (view spoiler)
I was hoping for this ending.

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments I am starting this tonight :)

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments Finished this book tonight and I didn't want it to end! I loved it!!!!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 562 comments This is one of my favourite books in the series because SB took a real tangent in the plot line and it worked beautifully.

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "This is one of my favourite books in the series because SB took a real tangent in the plot line and it worked beautifully."

I agree Lisa!

This is now a spoiler zone. Have at it!!

I'll get things started. Let's deal with the shockers first.

Did anyone see a Decker-Tracy match up coming? What do you think of them as a couple?

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments I did not see that coming at all! However I have wanted Decker and Sophia together up until this book.
I love the Decker - Tracy match up! He really needed someone like her to lighten up a bit. I loved her rambling on and on :)

So it's officially Dave and Sofia! How do you feel about it?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 562 comments I guess like everyone surmised it seemed that there would be an explosive HEA between Decker and Sophia. But I never warmed to her to be honest. And we did get a fairly one sided version of the relationship between them, she had a thing for him but he did keep his distance not comfortable with how things started off between them. In any other series the author would bring them together, their feelings surpassing any other obstacle.

That is why is was so fantastic that SB bucked the trend and headed off into two totally different relationship HEA's. And who couldn't help falling in love with the nerdy Dr Dave. His feelings were the real deal and it was great writing as this finally dawned on Sophia. I loved them together.

And pairing Larry with someone who seemed totally opposite to him and as Wendy noted above just what he needed too.

Great book, awesome series!

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 687 comments I agree that the pairings worked better than I expected them to do at first. This author can write, so I usually enjoy her stories. I do miss the earlier plot lines that included someone's flashbacks to WW II or things like that, however.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I guess like everyone surmised it seemed that there would be an explosive HEA between Decker and Sophia. But I never warmed to her to be honest. And we did get a fairly one sided version of the rel..."

Great points, Lisa! Brockmann certainly did buck trend by dealing with Sophia and Decker's relationship honestly instead of forcing an HEA. I was really caught by surprise, fully expecting these two to overcome their past. It took a bit for me to warm up to these two, mostly because Sophia was an elusive, murky character for me and I'd just invested in her being with Decker. However, Dave and Sophia's story just got stronger.

Wendy wrote: "I did not see that coming at all! However I have wanted Decker and Sophia together up until this book.
I love the Decker - Tracy match up! He really needed someone like her to lighten up a bit. I l..."

The Tracy-Decker pairing had me scratching my head until I figured out the same as you, Wendy. He needed someone to draw him out and that never was going to be Sophia.

message 20: by Jonetta (last edited Feb 22, 2017 04:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Did you ever believe Nash was really dead?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I guess like everyone surmised it seemed that there would be an explosive HEA between Decker and Sophia. But I never warmed to her to be honest. And we did get a fairly one sided version of the rel..."

I agree 100%, Lisa! I LOVE what Brockmann did to/with this foursome. For me...there was always a feeling of something not being "right" between Sophia & Decker. That doesn't mean I wasn't pulling for them - of course, I was. But still there was Dave...always there for her - always wanting what was best for her. When the "best" for Sophia turned out to be him, I was cheering all the way! And with Decker & Tracy...no, I didn't "see" it at first, but she hit him like a little tornado - refusing to cower down like others when he put on his mean or indifferent "look". I laughed out loud at many of their scenes and it didn't take me long to agree with Brockmann's direction for these couples. Decker needed someone to challenge him, frustrate him, and make him laugh...that person is Tracy. I applaud SB for her superb writing talents and for daring to mix it up. I, for one, am onboard all the way.

Wendy wrote: "I did not see that coming at all! However I have wanted Decker and Sophia together up until this book.
I love the Decker - Tracy match up! He really needed someone like her to lighten up a bit. I l..."

Good way to put it...Tracy is the light to his dark. Perfect pairing!

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I agree 100%, Lisa! I LOVE what Brockmann did to/with this foursome. For me...there was always a feeling of something not being "right" between Sophia & Decker. That doesn't mean I wasn't pulling for them - of course, I was. But still there was Dave...always there for her - always wanting what was best for her. When the "best" for Sophia turned out to be him, I was cheering all the way! ..."

Well put, Sandra!

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments I totally agree with Jonetta - well put Sandra.
I can hardly wait to see what happens next.

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments Jonetta wrote: "Did you ever believe Nash was really dead?"

No

Jonetta wrote: "Did you ever believe Nash was really dead?"

No, I didn't. It shocked me when I read it...I thought NO! But immediately I also thought...no way he's really dead. It just didn't feel right - I felt like his story was far from over and it just didn't add up. Was very happy to have my feelings validated when it was revealed. I will say I really hurt for those who believed him to be dead...it was painful to watch.

It really was painful. You never can tell with Brockmann so I wasn't entirely sure, especially after she killed off Murphy's wife Angelina. I think I was more grateful to learn he was alive.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I always thought it would be Deccker and Sophia but I was actually rooting for Dave.....Decker and Tracy, NOW I did not see that coming....but they were cracking me up through the book. and nowvi think Tracy is perfect for Decker

as for Nash I had a feeling he wasn't dead and was so happy to know he wasn't.

Robin (robinmy) | 797 comments Jonetta wrote: "I'll get things started. Let's deal with the shockers first.

Did anyone see a Decker-Tracy match up coming? What do you think of them as a couple?"

I never thought of Decker and Tracy together. But, I think it was a stroke of genius on Brockmann's part.

Robin (robinmy) | 797 comments Jonetta wrote: "So it's officially Dave and Sofia! How do you feel about it?"

I warmed up to Dave possibly ending up with Sofia in the last book. I liked their friendship and the way he always cared for her. They just worked so well together.

message 31: by Robin (last edited Feb 22, 2017 04:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin (robinmy) | 797 comments Jonetta wrote: "Did you ever believe Nash was really dead?"

I was shocked when they said he was dead. Then I thought about it and figured there was no way Brockmann would kill off one of her heroes. She certainly wouldn't kill him "off camera" where we would just hear someone announce he died at the hospital. We would have a major 5-hankie scene. Therefore, he couldn't be dead.

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 502 comments Jonetta wrote: "I'll get things started. Let's deal with the shockers first.

Did anyone see a Decker-Tracy match up coming? What do you think of them as a couple?"

SB handled this story plot very cunning. thru out all the other books she makes you believe Sofia and Decker loved each other and would eventually find their way together. then she throws you for a loop and throws Tracy and Dave into the mix. I am glad Dave finally got what he deserves. I think I have to warm up to Decker and Tracy though.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 502 comments Jonetta wrote: "Did you ever believe Nash was really dead?"

When I first read that he was dead I was really upset but thought how can SB kill someone off that is that loveable. I did think he was dead and was so relieved to find out he was not.

Robin wrote: "But, I think it was a stroke of genius on Brockmann's part. ..."

It really was! One of those that you never see coming but once introduced, you think, "okay...that could work."

Robin wrote: "I warmed up to Dave possibly ending up with Sofia in the last book. I liked their friendship and the way he always car..."

I saw the handwriting on the wall so I forced myself away from Decker and embraced Dave. It wasn't easy but he's such a good guy.

Robin wrote: "I was shocked when they said he was dead. Then I thought about it and figured there was no way Brockmann would kill off one of her heroe..."

Great logic, Robin.

Susan wrote: "Did anyone see a Decker-Tracy match up coming? What do you think of them as a couple?"

SB handled this story plot ver..."

Understandable that you'll need some time to warm up to Decker-Tracy:)

Susan wrote: "When I first read that he was dead I was really upset but thought how can SB kill someone off that is that loveable. I did think he was ..."

I took her at her word, to, but deep down was hoping...

message 39: by Charlene (last edited Feb 23, 2017 10:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 687 comments Susan wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Did you ever believe Nash was really dead?"

When I first read that he was dead I was really upset but thought how can SB kill someone off that is that loveable. I did think he was ..."

I think I was with you, too, Susan. Nash was not one of my favorite characters, nor was Tracy. When we learned he was barely alive, I was then interested to see how he redeemed his relationships; i.e., why was he so secretive and could he win back his love?

Brockmann manages three romantic relationships in this story: Tess & Nash, who are more advanced in their relationship; Sophia & Dave, who are barely beginning theirs; and Decker & Tracy who just discovered their mutual attraction. How well did she manage all of them in the midst of a dangerous op?

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments I think she managed all 3 relationships perfectly. She had me constantly wondering about all 3 relationships as they went through good and bad times.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 562 comments This was my favourite book I read in 2016 so I guess that sums up how well I thought SB managed everything. I couldn't put it down. The growth of the Sophia/Dave relationship was particularly well written over several books. I love the way SB does this with quite a few characters through this series. You feel you know them.. and wish you did in real life!

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "This was my favourite book I read in 2016 so I guess that sums up how well I thought SB managed everything. I couldn't put it down. The growth of the Sophia/Dave relationship was particularly well ..."

Lisa you are absolutely right! I wish I knew them all :)

I don't know of many authors who can pull this off so successfully without you feeling like at least one of the stories gets sacrificed for the others. The attention to character detail is meticulous, making the stories and characters feel real and absorbing the readers' attention in all the right ways.

I agree. Brockmann is a master at these multiple plot lines and the characters involved in them. She is one of the best I've ever read at weaving multiple in-depth, meaningful relationships without any one falling short. She mixes, mingles, and develops each couple's story to perfection - and at the same time, she manages to set up the next characters/couple/story/book, leaving me anxious for more. Sometimes, she goes where I think she will...and then sometimes, she switches gears and takes the characters/story in an entirely different direction. Either way - she generally convinces me that yes...this is indeed the way it should be. Brilliant!