Altoona Public Library (IA) discussion

Kim is reading... > Wildly Different Titles

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Super Librarian (new)

Kim Kietzman (kimatthelibrary) | 17 comments Mod
I just finished The Wonder by Emma Donoghue. Not sure what I expected, but I read it because I got through Room. I say got through because I had to work at it, but it was a good read. The Wonder...not so much. I can't say that I actually LIKED any of the characters at all until the very end. Any other authors you read another book or two thinking you'd at least get something close and been disappointed? Not sure if my problem is expectations or that I'm boring. Or maybe I like to like some of the characters. Maybe I"m a needy reader.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Linacre (elinacre) | 4 comments Mod
Ugh, I hate when there's not a single likeable character...but I can usually find something redeeming in most anything I read. I'm not one to give up on books, and I think I tend to be generous with my Goodreads stars. I definitely find myself hoping for the end to come faster if I don't like the characters though. The last book I finished, "The Hopefuls" by Jennifer Close, was like that...Although I loved her writing and descriptions, I just didn't like the (whiny, needy, arrogant) characters. It seems like I've got rose-colored glasses on when doing my book reviews...how unlike life ;) Kidding. Sort of.