Readers & Writers discussion

Advice for writing a story

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hasham (new)

Hasham Rasool I am currently writing a story. I would like to have pieces of advices. What pieces of advices will you give me for writing a story?

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye | 13 comments It depends on the length of your story; a short story can be very long, for instance, but keep in mind stories focus more unraveling of the plot and the general theme and sub motifs; whereas, a novel has more time to develop characterization.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4 comments In case of a novel, make sure you know your characters and the world they live in very well. This will bring the book to life and of course research the subject you want to write about.

message 4: by Hasham (new)

Hasham Rasool Thank you for tips. I want to write a novel. It is a longer story. the pages of my story might be between 500-1000 or maybe my story will have over 1000 pages.

message 5: by Don (new)

Don H.M (theayatollahofrock) | 5 comments I see that people are telling you what you already know. I was getting the same advice too and it confused me too. So instead of telling you to make characters likeable and all the cliches i'll just tell how to approach a narrative.

First there is discovery writing where you develop the story as you go. There are major drawbacks to this but there are also many advantages. Discovery writing allows you to exercise more creativity and it tends to give you much longer stories. Think of George R.R. Martin, he employs discovery writing and the result is that his books tend to be unpredictable but he also lost his way and after book three his pacing went to shit. The reason no one knows how A song of ice and fire is going to end is because Martin doesn't know how it's going to end. Alot of people say discovery writing leads to more dynamic characters and better world building and they are wrong. If you aren't careful the story structure gets screwed and you end up with half a book filled with sex scenes involving a 13 year old girl (Danyries).

Second General technique is making an outline of everything, split your book into chapters tand jot down major plot points. Then expand on those plot points and finish a blueprint for what is going to happen. This technique leads to much better pacing and much better endings. For exampe, if you read Fight Club, the foundation for a mindf*** are laid down and the story feels more complete. If you are too predictable with your outline, your house will collapse basically.

Which one of these is right for you, well both and neither. There isn't a right or wrong answer to how you approach a structure but a mix of both gives you a better novel.

The two approaches are more like a political spectrum rather than one or the other. If you are writing an epic fantasy start in the middle and lean slightly more towards discovery writing. But if it's a spy fiction or a pulp novel, you will most certainly have lean towards building a blueprint.

If you are starting out, building a blueprint is going to make thing much much much easier. Trust me on this. It will require much less revision, you will basically already have the story finished in your head before you even write a single word. But don't stick to one side, if in the process you feel that a certain plot point or character needs more focus then go for it. Don't however let it compromise your structure. You can have the best characters in the world, your worldbuilding can be top notch but if you mess up on pacing you will make it harder for yourself.

Brandon Sanderson gave a lecture on this exact topic and if i were you i would see all of them. It took me years of trial and error to figure out what he pointed out in hours.

Watch all of those lectures on youtube and really think about how you want to write before what you want to write. Here's the link to the first one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ZDB...

message 6: by Hasham (new)

Hasham Rasool Thank you Don :-)

I am currently reading A Game of Thrones.

I have seen Fight Club.

My story will be about 10 kingdoms islands. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to spoil surprise. Haha

message 7: by Hasham (new)

Hasham Rasool I will watch those videos of Brandon Sanderson.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 12 comments Hasham wrote: "Thank you for tips. I want to write a novel. It is a longer story. the pages of my story might be between 500-1000 or maybe my story will have over 1000 pages."

That's a lot of pages for your first try. It would be better to split it up between books especially if it's young adult. I looked up that most young adult books are in between 40 thousand words up to 100 thousand.