Poetry Writing Contests discussion

Your Personal Poetry Topics > Jennifer's Fantastic Poems

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥ Emily ♥ , Head Mod (new)

♥ Emily ♥   (emily_turtle) | 429 comments Mod

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jaokell13) "The Weather"

As the year begins the weather keeps circling the earth.

Winter winds and blizzard snow, blankets certain sections of the United States.

Spring rain comes, not without its vicious raging storms.

Summer comes, school ends for a time, and here comes the unbearable heat!

Autumn is here, school comes back, and the colorful leaves are falling!

As another year ends, the weather keeps circling the earth.

Penned on January 5, 2017

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jaokell13) "In My Despair"

In my despair, I find death and darkness.

Where there is death, there is mourning.

In my despair, I find people to talk to for help.

In my despair, I found light and hope.

I am no longer in despair.

Penned on: February 8, 2017

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jaokell13) "Songs Of My Life"

Music started influencing me very early in my life.

From an overly played Bonnie Raitt cassette tape to the compact discs of my teenage years and eventually adulthood, music has always been a part of my life.

Some songs make me cry.

Others make me remember certain people in my life.

Some just make me flat out smile because they have such a positive vibe to them.

Some make me think "where did they come up with that classic or catchy tune?".

The songs of my life will always be with me, and I will always remember my first cassette tape, compact disc, and digital song that I downloaded.

Of course now, instead of playing compact discs, I play my music on my iPhone.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jaokell13) "In Another Life"

In another life, I'd be a country singer with a voice that has the pitch of gold.

In another life, I'd have the sight of both eyes, not just one.

In another life, I'd be a published poet who's written word touched people all over the world.

In another life, I would be able to drive a car.

In another life, I would like to be, anyone but me.

Originally Penned:
December 3, 2014

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jaokell13) "Young and Old"

When I was younger, I believed in Santa and the Tooth Fairy, I also had lots of dreams that are now unattainable.

When I was younger, my thought of old age was my parents' age, but as I have gotten older, so have they.

So now, my idea of someone old and is still alive is someone in their 100's.

When I was younger nothing came easy to me. I struggled for the better part of my school days with attending class, making friends, and the constant flow of tests and homework.

Now that the school chapter of my life has closed, a new chapter begins and that's called aging gracefully.

When I was younger, I couldn't wait to become an adult.

Now that I am an adult, I wish I could somehow turn back the years to tell my teenage self not to throw your life away by not going to class.

But somehow God doesn't grant you do-overs, no matter how much you want them in life.

I guess as time passes you just have to look past the mistakes you have made in previous years, and grow old knowing that those mistakes are behind you now, and try to move forward with your life, despite getting another year older in the process.

Originally Penned:
December 18, 2014

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jaokell13) "Pictures"

Pictures are but a snapshot of life frozen in time. They are put into photo albums, collages, and scrapbooks. Pictures are hung in offices and in dorm rooms at colleges all over the world. Eventually, the picture becomes a remembrance of someone that is no longer in your life. Pictures are but a snapshot of life frozen in time.

Originally Penned on August 11, 2017 by Jennifer Okell in honor of her Grandfather Frederick R. Wylie
B: April 12, 1930
D: August 11, 2011

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jaokell13) “Comedy and Drama”

Comedy and Drama go hand in hand like peanut butter and jelly. Comedy and drama actors and actresses those that have been doing it for many years can flip flop the genre roles like the flip of a coin, and are just really great well-rounded actors and people as well. But also people they have that spark to make you laugh and cry all at once. We lost one of the greatest comedian/dramatic actors of our time in recent days and I am dedicating this poem to him. Whether it was his raunchy stand-up comedy acts or one of his many hilarious movies, I have always loved his humor roles since I was a young child. I can remember him playing the role of “The Genie” in the animated film “Aladdin”(released in 1992) as a kid I would always laugh at the Genie not realizing at the time that that was actually the voice of THE VERY FUNNY Robin Williams!!! Another one of my comedy movie roles where he plays a fun loving dad on a road trip to Colorado in one of his later movies titled “RV” (released in 2006). The list of his comedic/dramatic movie and television roles goes into well into the 20th century and beyond. Two of my favorite dramatic movie roles of his to this day are his performances as an English Teacher in “The Dead Poet’s Society” (released in 1989) and he played the title character the movie “Patch Adams” (released in 1998) Dr. Hunter “Patch” Adams who plays a doctor who learned how to use humor for medication to treat his patients at a hospital. I will never forget the impact he had on the television and movie industry, nor will I ever stop watching the movies that he was in over the years, that we have at home either on Blu-Ray or DVD.

Written By: Jennifer Okell
Originally Penned on: August 12, 2014

Dedicated to the actor Robin Williams
July 21, 1951-August 11, 2014