What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA fiction. yellow book? troubled young girl taking care of her depressed mother. depressed because she accidentally backed over and killed baby

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Powell | 2 comments Hi! So I believe it was yellow, smallish...it was about a young girl who takes care of her mother with depression. The depression derives from the incident that had occurred previously...the mother and the young girl were in a hurry and they accidentally left her baby sibling behind the rear tire. The mother accidentally backed over it and the baby died. It's from the young girls perspective. Please help!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4844 comments Autumn, who many years ago did you read this book?
Part of a series?
Time period/location story takes place?

message 3: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Powell | 2 comments I think it was about a year ago that I read it, I can't be sure. And I definitely do not know when it was published. The book was mostly focused around the child's perspective, and she was mostly alone inside or the front yard with a neighbor. I don't think it really gave an exact time period for which it was written.

message 4: by Angela (last edited Feb 02, 2017 08:53AM) (new)

Angela | 425 comments Maybe Everything Is Fine. by Ann Dee Ellis Everything Is Fine. by Ann Dee Ellis? This review from School Library Journal mentions an accident that killed a younger sister:

"Gr 6–9— Mazzy is fine. Her severely depressed, almost catatonic mother is fine—as long as Mazzy takes care of her and keeps neighbors and family-services investigators away. Her absent ESPN-host father is fine, though he's been gone a while and Mazzy doesn't feel like returning his calls. And the summer will be fine, as long as she can keep hanging out with Colby, her neighbor, and pursue her art. In spare prose verging on free verse, Mazzy tells her story, of her daily routines without parents, of her occasional interactions with neighbors—and of the tragic accident that recently killed her young sister and led to her family's breakdown. Ellis impressively captures the voice of a sardonic, damaged, but surviving adolescent girl. Secondary characters are fleshed out well through Mazzy's pointed descriptions and snappy dialogue, and Colby shines with humor and a personality that rings true. Readers are given glimpses into the family Mazzy used to have, and the girl she once was. Although the ending seems hasty and perhaps unrealistically optimistic, Ellis has created a unique snapshot of family tragedy that's refreshingly devoid of melodrama.—Riva Pollard, Prospect Sierra Middle School, El Cerrito, CA --Riva Pollard (Reviewed March 1, 2009) (School Library Journal, vol 55, issue 3, p143)"

I haven't been able to find a source that mention what exactly the accident was... I guess no one wants to spoil the big twist at the end! The length sounds about right, only 160 pages. You mentioned you remember the book being "smallish"?

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Autumn, is Everything Is Fine your book? Please let us know. We love closure!

Cara's Craftsations | 1604 comments Kate wrote: "Autumn, is Everything Is Fine your book? Please let us know. We love closure!"

Ha! :0)

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "Autumn, is Everything Is Fine your book? Please let us know. We love closure!"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Everything Is Fine. (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ann Dee Ellis (other topics)