Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Looking for horror anthologies!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Metko (goodreadscomanna_metko) | 11 comments Hello everyone! I've been recently reading a couple of horror anthologies and was wondering if anyone could recommend me some?

message 3: by Toneye (new)

Toneye Eyenot (toneyeeyenot) | 4 comments Anna wrote: "Hello everyone! I've been recently reading a couple of horror anthologies and was wondering if anyone could recommend me some?"

Full Moon Slaughter from J Ellington Ashton Press. 400 pages, 37 authors, 35 tales of werewolf mayhem and carnage! https://www.amazon.com/Full-Moon-Slau...

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 396 comments Wastelands Stories of the Apocalypse by John Joseph Adams

This book, WASTELANDS is absolutely awesome!! Got it for Xmas one year and have even used some of the stories in teaching my English classes- it's an anthology of stories about the apocalypse, and the world thereafter. WORTH IT. -- Jen from Quebec :0)

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil (chaoseum) | 769 comments Shadows Over Main Street is a great non-pastiche Lovecraftian anthology.

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil (chaoseum) | 769 comments Another really good anthology is, Giallo Fantastique edited by Ross Lockhart.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevinjkennedy) | 6 comments If you fancy this one I can send you a copy in exchange for an honest review.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Kev

message 10: by John (new)

John Wing | 10 comments Anna wrote: "Hello everyone! I've been recently reading a couple of horror anthologies and was wondering if anyone could recommend me some?"

Hi Anna, I don't know if you might be interested but I have just completed a selection of Horror stories called Ultimate Shades of Horror that can be downloaded from Amazon. You might find this interesting reading. If you do, then please let me know.

Thank you

message 12: by Tim (new)

Tim (tim_taylor) | 55 comments One of the best, Joe R. Lansdale, started out in short fiction.
These are really good anthologies full of really weird, darkly humorous, twisted stories.
High Cotton: Selected Stories
Bumper Crop
Or you can go with the "best of" that contains many, if not all of the previous stories with
The Best of Joe R. Lansdale

message 13: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2705 comments Creepy Campfire Stories

By the way, just as a side note: Maybe it's just me, but I consider an anthology to be a collection of shorter literary works by several different authors, often united by a common motif or theme, while imo a book with short stories by one single author would rather qualify as a normal short story collection.

message 15: by Kimberly (last edited Feb 05, 2017 10:09AM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5735 comments Mod
A fantastic anthology--if you like the old-fashioned scares--is
The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories Volume One by James D. Jenkins .

For more modern stories, I've always loved the The Year's Best Horror Stories XVI series.