Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Excellent Women > What did you think?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments 10. Finally (for Carol!): How did you like the book? How many stars did you give it?

message 2: by Ayse_ (new)

Ayse_ (ashlie_k) I liked it although it was a bit old fashioned and slow moving, 4 stars

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I gave it 3.5 stars. Found that it wasn't quite as strong or could carry the plot as well as other books can. As Ayse stated, perhaps was a bit dry. However, as soon as I was able to listen to the book, my interest increased dramatically. That woman's voice sounded so much like Flavia de luce's in her series, that both my husband and I agree that we think it's the same narrator.

message 4: by Ayse_ (new)

Ayse_ (ashlie_k) Carol wrote: "I gave it 3.5 stars. Found that it wasn't quite as strong or could carry the plot as well as other books can. As Ayse stated, perhaps was a bit dry. However, as soon as I was able to listen to the ..."

Interesting point Carol, may be narration will make some books more readable than

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I only gave the book 3 stars, but I am getting stingier with my stars this year... a new resolution of 2017. I really enjoyed the book and found myself drawing back to the book when I couldn't sleep or when I wanted to relax, but did not feel it was worthy of 4 stars. i wish goodreads did half stars! I would have given it 3.5 like Carol. I certainly enjoyed the language of the book, however, and it flowed nicely. I bet this would make a great play to watch!

message 6: by Cindy (last edited Jan 28, 2017 01:35PM) (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I've often wished for half stars on Goodreads too! So often I go back and forth between three and four. I actually gave this one 4, then changed it to 5 after I worked on the questions. This book gave me lots to mull over. The characters weren't easy to understand and many weren't easy to like, but that's ok. Much of what I read (mysteries and romances and women's fiction) are just so light and easy. And sometimes that's just what I want! But I appreciate a book that makes me think a little sometimes. And I get that some people wouldn't think there was much substance to this book at all! As Darlene has said - I love book club because it gets me to read things I never would have.

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I never give a book a 5 star, extremely good books get a 4 from me, Excellent Women is a solid 3 star.

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I'm the low end. I gave it a 2. For me it was "ok." Not something I'd read again or suggest to a friend. It didn't have me wanting to keep reading to know what happens next. But it could just be the style genre more than anything. Just not my type, but I'm glad I read it.

My book coming in March may not be a lot of your types! Throwing in a curve ball, but that's what makes book clubs fun!

message 9: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Hembroff (mhembroff) | 93 comments This book was different from other books I have read but I enjoyed it. It took me back to a simpler time and place. I would rate this book between a 4-5 stars.