Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Excellent Women > Mildred and Eyre

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments 6. Why does Mildred insist that she is nothing like the gothic heroine Jane Eyre? What does this suggest about her modesty or her self-regard? Do you think she might be termed a heroine, even if an untraditional one? What about her is heroic?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
As I said earlier I don't see the characters much like the gothic heroine Jane Eyre, and one should like them before they put so much weight on the character they play. Guess I'm not it!

message 3: by Ayse_ (new)

Ayse_ (ashlie_k) Jane has in her nature a strong character and by time matures into an independent, honest to oneself, not slighted by confrontation kind of heroine. Mildred is well just Mildred.

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments What did she do that was heroic? Help the Napiers move furniture? Help he church with their sales? Jane Eyre wanted to make a difference and thus became a teacher. I can't quite see Mildred's heroism in this book. Maybe she just stayed strong and firm while being single. There are those single women that mourn day and night for a husband, especially as they get older. She didn't do that.

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Confession time-I have not read Jane Eyre. It is one of those classics that never really interested me, so please keep that in mind when you read my answer. However, my literary perception of Jane Eyre is that she was a "girly girl" who needed a man to make her happy and Mildred does not want to be affiliated with that description. My apologies in advance if that is offensive to any Jane Eyre fans! Again, just my assumption..and you know the saying re assumptions! If, however, my perception of Jane is correct, then I believe that Mildred did not want to be regarded to be like Jane as Mildred wanted to be perceived as a strong single woman content to live alone. Hmmm, is Mildred heroic? I think the word hero is to be reserved for bigger feats and not a term to be widely used. I think that what Mildred did was what we as humans should be doing a lot more of...helping others, listening more, caring, showing compassion....traits that should not be listed as heroic, but human.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I agree with Chelsea and Darlene here. I think Pym (through Mildred) is telling us up-front that this is not your typical heroine. She doesn't do anything particularly dramatic AND (by-the-way) we shouldn't expect a happily-ever-after fairy tale ending for her. No saving anyone from a fire and no miraculous reconciliation with Mr. Rochester at the end. She's the "heroine" because the book is about her average life, not because she does anything heroic - except doing the best she can day by day. (Which might be kind of heroic, actually??)