Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Excellent Women > Spinsterhood

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments 4. Many people seem to pity Mildred for being unmarried. What does Mildred think of the possibility of marriage? What in her life would change if she were no longer single? Does Mildred want to be married, or are there things she values more?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Now we are in country I know a little more about. I realize I was older when I got married, but I was comfortable in my single skin. People used to tease Mark and I terribly about when we were getting married and I'd say, "why ruin a good thing." I was just fine as I was. We are doing ok, but the challenges are still there.

message 3: by Ayse_ (new)

Ayse_ (ashlie_k) It doesn't look like she'll try to fit into a mold just to get married, but seems like she does not like being alone either, although she tells herself so in one occasion.

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments She starts to accept the idea of marriage when it's thrown around, but she won't stoop low to marry anyone who asks her if she doesn't love him (like Julian). I think if Rocky had proposed she would have accepted.

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I believe that in previous eras, women were indeed pitied when they were not married. Even today, with the great push of feminism, there still seems to be some concerns when a person chooses to remain single. In the beginning of the book, Mildred seems resigned to be single, but not necessarily happy about her status. It is interesting to think about what in her life would change if she were no longer single. I think what would change for her is what changes for anyone once they are not single. Her focus may change some. I think she goes back and forth between wanting to be married and wanting to be single. I felt like at the end of the book, when I believe that her possibility of marriage was real, that she then was able to evaluate what she really wanted out of life. Given a choice to remain single or not may possibly change how she views her current life.

message 6: by Cindy (last edited Jan 28, 2017 01:31PM) (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I like to think she came to realize that being married to just anyone was not necessarily better than being single. That might have been a radical notion in the 1950s!
I also thought a message in the story was: “Everyone is strange so why would you want to live with anyone?” Living with other women is shown as difficult too – and that is sometimes the fate of single women.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Being married is not "The Answer" to happiness, nor is it the solution to all problems. I think Mildred has a grasp of this already but some of her associates think she is a step out of the reality with the others. Overall she is liked, and like Chelsea, I thought she and Rocky had a fighting chance and might have a very successful relationship. I really liked them both.

message 8: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I'm going with the majority...Rocky + Mildred = Love 4 Ever! I thought Everard was as nerdy as they come and didn't have a clue about love. Julian - why Allegra? That was weird to me.

message 9: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Cindy wrote: "I like to think she came to realize that being married to just anyone was not necessarily better than being single. That might have been a radical notion in the 1950s!
I also thought a message in t..."

Oooh! Great comments!!!