Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Excellent Women > Pym and Austen

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments 3. Barbara Pym is often compared to Jane Austen. If you’ve read Austen, what similarities do you see in their work?

message 2: by Ayse_ (new)

Ayse_ (ashlie_k) Clearly Pym is influenced by Austen. Her books are just like Austen's for eg. tell about a war but do not explain which war, where etc, as if they are happening in an abstract time and place. Austen's characters always speak in whispers and suggest things, her heroines are smart, there is a second and different nature to characters and events, and nothing is what it seems (except the protagonist). Similar in Pym's.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I've never been a huge Jane Austen fan. Not proud of it, just not. I've enjoyed a couple of the books I've read of hers, they just don't scream READ ME, READ ME. while I'm reading them. I have friends that are husband and wife, and they have read all her works while they are in the car...she reads, he listens. It works for them, just not for me. I've enjoyed a couple of the movies she's been in, but I just don't get it as much as you perhaps are.

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I totally felt like this was like an Austen book while I read it! The whole book is dialogue discussing relationships and getting married. Except Mildred is Mary, not Elizabeth. Ms Gray could be the Lydia equivalent. And the battle back and forth with the Napiers is Darcy and Elizabeth (they do end up together at the end). And Everard could be Collins. Lots of similarities!!

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I have never been a Jane Austen fan. I wish I were because the people who like her, just LOVE her! I may have to try her again and see if I can find a new enjoyment in her writing.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Ayse and Chelsea! Great thoughts! Things I hadn't thought of. I AM a huge Austen fan. In one of my other book clubs we just read "Sense and Sensibility". In fact, almost the only books I re-read are Austen's. And I get new things from them every time.
One other important thing to remember is that both women wrote novels of social commentary about their own times, that just happen to be in our past. Austen and Pym lived through these times so there is an authenticity that really speaks to me.