Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Excellent Women > Excellent Women

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments 2. Who are the excellent women of the title? What are their habits and character traits? How do others view them, and what is their role in society? Do you think Mildred views herself as an excellent woman, both at the beginning and the end of the novel? Is there a modern equivalent to “excellent women” today? If not, is that a good thing or a bad one?

message 2: by Ayse_ (new)

Ayse_ (ashlie_k) Cindy these questions are all too many :).
excellent women are the ones esteemed and respected but not found attractive by the opposite sex

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
As I said earlier, I was looking for what they would define as an Excellent Woman. I don't feel I really found it. And why wouldn't or couldn't they be attractive woman---more confused than ever. HELPPP!

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments Agree w carol, I felt excellent women were good hearted, high morals, service minded and not married. I've not quite finished the book tho, so I reserve the right to change my mind !

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene First, I am assuming that Excellent Women is a term that we would have known more easily if we had lived during this time period???? I have often wondered why she named the book Excellent Women? Who else, besides Mildred, would you consider to be an Excellent Woman in this book? Or do you think Pym was making a more general reference to the women of that time period? Because I am not familiar with the term, the title kept throwing me off and I kept thinking this book would be better received in today's era if it had a different title? Anyone have any thoughts on my response? I need a little more education, please. thanks!

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments OK - so here's what I think: "Excellent women" was a British term - maybe especially mid-twentieth century England, but I'm not completely sure about that. It refers to those women, specifically, who are always at the Church. Setting up for fundraisers, feeding the vicar, etc. They did tend to be single women because married women with children didn't have time for this. And, of course, there were many single women at this time because so many men had died in WWII. I think it has a tinge of condescension to it. It sounds complimentary, but no one really wants to be one because it indicates you don't really have a life.

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments Bravo Cindy! My view from the book is exactly what you said. I wasn't thinking about WWII and the loss of so many men.