Fans of British Writers discussion

General Discussions > Audio books

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) There has been much news about the increased interest in audio books. Does anyone in this group like to listen to audio books or do you prefer to "read" instead?

If you listen, when do like to do that e.g. whilst travelling, walking, running or when at home?

If you prefer to read, do you do so at home or whilst travelling etc?

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 613 comments I read in many places, at home, on the streetcar, when flying, and I always bring a book to an appointment in case I have to wait. I usually read a book in my hotel room when travelling, after a long day walking and sightseeing. I also like to buy books as souvenirs for myself.

message 3: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 20 comments I love audiobooks, and usually listen a) while doing some household tasks like ironing (but not vacuuming - too noisy), or preparing to sleep. I can't listen and drive, particularly not on earphones, as it's much too distracting.

I tend to have three books (at least) on the go - one on audio, one on the Kindle, and one I read in the bath ...

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) Rosemarie wrote: "I read in many places, at home, on the streetcar, when flying, and I always bring a book to an appointment in case I have to wait. I usually read a book in my hotel room when travelling, after a lo..."

I do the same, Rosemary - always have a book with me (there's no point in wasting time, especially when waiting for appointments)!

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) Rosina wrote: "I love audiobooks, and usually listen a) while doing some household tasks like ironing (but not vacuuming - too noisy), or preparing to sleep. I can't listen and drive, particularly not on earphone..."

Yes, driving whilst listening to an audio book isn't something I'd do either. Funnily enough it isn't distracting to listen to the radio and drive.

Reading at night is what I look forward to most of all for leisure on Kindle or hard copy. Hopefully the latter won't disappear from our lives with all the technological advances........

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol Breslin | 19 comments I like to read difficult books sometimes. I have found I need to read the book and listen to the audio at the same time in order to really understand what is going on. For example, right now I am reading Lord Jim I could not figure out what was going on because there is so much backward and forward in time. In addition, I use audio books to help me fall asleep at night.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 613 comments Lord Jim is well worth the effort, Carol.

I have often made the mistake of reading an exciting book before bed--BAD IDEA!

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol Breslin | 19 comments Lord Jim is the most difficult book I have ever read. I had to re-read the first 5 chapters about 3 times, and then finally I went to a website and read a synopsis. It is also very painful to read. But I agree, it is worth it.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) Carol wrote: "I like to read difficult books sometimes. I have found I need to read the book and listen to the audio at the same time in order to really understand what is going on. For example, right now I am r..."

I haven't read Lord Jim yet - thanks for the advance warning! Yes I've heard that books which move back and forth in time and also those with a huge cast of characters can be hard to follow on audio as it can be with some books.

Going to sleep with audio, mmm, I guess that's possible as long as it isn't a horror story or murderous skulduggery!

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 24 comments Lord Jim is IMHO something that sticks in the teeth somewhat. It's a bit chewy, but tasty once you break it into manageable mouthfuls

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol Breslin | 19 comments Yes, indeed, Lord Jim is truly incredible, as hard as it is. The author touches something deep in our souls, something that is very hard to talk about. It really helped me to read a synopsis of the first 6 chapters after I read them myself.

message 12: by Treece (new)

Treece (sapphire_roses) | 7 comments Melanie wrote: "There has been much news about the increased interest in audio books. Does anyone in this group like to listen to audiobooks or do you prefer to "read" instead?

If you listen, when do like to do ..."

I enjoy audiobooks very much and have a modest collection that is varied. I listen to them in my vehicle, traveling, and at home. Sometimes I borrow them from the library. The audios range from self-help to life in ancient Egypt to fiction.

The best part about them is giving your eyes a break, and experiencing a new interpretation of the work, and having someone read aloud to you like in childhood, a pleasure that never gets old. The downside is they can be pricey and sometimes you have to pause at a great scene and then backtrack, or wait to listen for the rest without interruption.

message 13: by Treece (new)

Treece (sapphire_roses) | 7 comments Rosina wrote: "I love audiobooks, and usually listen a) while doing some household tasks like ironing (but not vacuuming - too noisy), or preparing to sleep. I can't listen and drive, particularly not on earphone..."
Rosina, glad to hear about someone else who reads multiple books the same way. It is a convenient way to enjoy more than one book at the same time.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol Breslin | 19 comments My only problem is when I listen at night, I fall asleep, and it is extremely difficult to find where I had left off. One solution is to read on the iPad at the same time as listening, and then wherever the iPad has stopped, is where I stopped. But it still is very difficult to scroll back through to find my place. And not all Audible books chapters correspond to chapters in the real books. In a real book, even if I fall asleep and lose my place, it is fairly easy to find it again.

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) Treece wrote: "Melanie wrote: "There has been much news about the increased interest in audio books. Does anyone in this group like to listen to audiobooks or do you prefer to "read" instead?

If you listen, when..."

Treece, about the pricey bit, there are Kindle books for which authors offer a free audio book. Other than that, there are groups here on Goodreads and elsewhere that offer free codes from narrators in exchange for a review of their audio books.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Booth (boothacus) | 109 comments I listen to audio books all the time. I am a visual artist so I can listen to books while I work and it definitely helps with the monotony. Though I can only listen to a certain type of book. I can’t listen to scientific books with new definitions or philosophy books that have new terms and complicated concepts. Some writing demands full concentration and isn’t good for doing two things at once. But I can listen to fiction and mysteries without any problems and it’s great to make time go quickly or catch up on the classics (some of them).
There is Libervox for those who want to download free audio books of the classics without having to pay for them. The broken up chapters with introductions and sign offs are distracting and not only do you sometimes get multiple narrators, but not very good ones as well mixed in. Anyone can sign up to read from any copyright free book. With all its flaws it’s a pretty cool idea and a great service to those who can’t read or just want to listen. You can get lucky and find a narrator whose done the whole book start to finish. There are other sites like the Gutenberg Press that also has non copy righted books for former download and often their audio counterparts. Reading and listening to Shakespeare this way is very helpful.
As for driving I find I don’t speed when I listen to books as opposed to music, but everyone is different and an undistracted driver is the best driver. Bring back the stick shift!! Sorry, I couldn’t help myself there.
Also you can borrow audio books from the library as well. I’m not sure how it works but it does.
Have a great day everyone.

message 17: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I sometimes listen to audiobooks while I’m walking, doing housework or eating in a restaurant by myself OR just to give my eyes a break! I quit listening at night in bed because I fall asleep. I like to have the physical book so I can flip back to pages/chapters if I missed something or didn’t understand the pronunciation, especially with British narrators. I also will do a combination of listening and reading, alternating chapters. I’ve really had to train my brain to pay attention. It keeps wanting to focus on other things! It’s getting easier, though. I’ve found that books with a lot of dialogue are easier to listen to.

message 18: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 20 comments I like the sensation of listening to a book and falling asleep, but as others have said, you lose your place, and have no idea how far back to go. So now I have a sleeping book on the go, one that I've listened to before, which doesn't have any great dramatic leaps, turn the volume down, set the sleep timer for half an hour, and let it lull me to sleep.

message 19: by Ian (new)

Ian Coates (iancoatesthrillers) | 1 comments I love audio books, especially when driving. They help the miles disappear so much more easily. My own thriller, Eavesdrop, was recently released by Audible Studios as an audiobook, which was a thrilling experience. It was amazing to hear a professional actor bring its assassins, smugglers and high-tech spies to life. It's a whole different experience to a written book.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Booth (boothacus) | 109 comments Narrators can really make or break a story. I’ve listened to previews of some books and decided that they were best read than listened to. I also definitely prefer a British accent in a narrator—so much more pleasing to the ear!