Matched 2017 discussion

Chapter 24-End

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?

message 2: by Lubedal (last edited Feb 14, 2017 08:37AM) (new)

Lubedal | 8 comments I believe the author was trying to tell her readers that we shouldn't let the government control our whole life. We need to take hold of our own life and do want we want to do "do not go gentle"(Condie 96). Ally Condie try to told me this by make a society in her book that did just that, take control of everyone's live by making all of their decisions for them and know what is going on in everyone's lives. "now and then we do that with an aberration, simply to gather additional data and watch for variation. The general public doesn't know about it; there's no reason they should. What's important for you to know is that we are in control of the experiment all along" (Condie 342). In this quote an official is telling Cassia that they are always in control and know everything that's going on. The official also tells Cassia that she shouldn't go against them or she and her family will end up just like Ky. When the official say this it emphasize what Condie was trying to tell us, that we shouldn't let our government become like this, a government with so much power they control everything, even when you die.

message 3: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sturtz | 7 comments Lubedal wrote: "I believe the author was trying to tell her readers that we shouldn't let the government control our whole life. We need to take hold of our own life and do want we want to do "do not go gentle"(Co..." I agree with this response, The quote went really well with the response.

message 4: by Simone (new)

Simone | 8 comments I believe that the most important theme the author was trying to emphasize was that we should take control of our lives, and that we shouldn't let anyone, or anything tell us how to live our lives. In the cover of the book it says, "In the society, officials decide. Who you love. Where you work. When you die." This explains that the people have no choice in their life. "'Poison,' she says, unflinching, 'is unbelievably humane. Small doses, in the patients favorite foods.'" (Condie,341). This means that the people are forced to die at a certain age, 80. The officials kill them by poison. They can't even live their full life. What I think the author was trying to get across was that don't let people tell you how to live, it's not their life, it's your life, you should be in control of it, and also fight for what you believe in and who you love. An example would be that Cassia loves Ky, but she was Matched with Xander and when Ky got taken away Cassia is fighting to get him back because she loves him. The author showed this theme by making a character, Cassia, who wants freedom and choice in her life and she wants to pick you she loves, and when she dies. She makes Cassia go through these situations and makes Cassia fight for what's right.

message 5: by Maia (new)

Maia | 8 comments Helena wrote: "The author, I feel, tries to emphasize themes throughout the novel in lots and lots of different ways. In my mind, Condie really emphasized the society to show the readers what it is like to live t..."

Erin wrote: "What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?"

I agree with you the theme seems to be that you should pick your own life and path. You did a good job explaining it and getting to the point.

message 6: by Amaya (last edited Feb 21, 2017 10:54AM) (new)

Amaya Maakestad | 8 comments I believe the theme the author was trying to show was don't let anyone tell you what to be. She shows this explaining how these people have no control over there lives and the main character Cassia fights back. She does illegal things like hides her artifacts, falls in love who she isn't supposed to, and find lost poems. One specific poem shows the theme very well. One line in this poem helps her fight back. "Do not go gentle" (Condie 363). They got rid of this poem because it tells people to fight back and the Society doesn't want that. Condie is trying to tell us to fight back and take control of our lives. Don't let society get too much power that you don't get any choice in your life. It's a very good message to not let anyone choose your path for you.

message 7: by Maia (new)

Maia | 8 comments The most specific theme that the book is trying to teach you is to not let people choose your own life throughout the whole novel. It shows this by Cassia trying to rebel and choosing to like Ky even though the society doesn't want her to. In the book the officials even admit they put Ky in the matching pool to see what would happen they said "We watch you enough to get an effective sample of what your interactions were like."(Condie 344) This shows that the officials try to experiment on them and that they want to control people. Obviously controlling everyone 24/7 is bad and the officials show this many times. On top of that Cassia helps me understand how controlling they are with pretty much everything and that you should be your own person. Overall the book had a good theme I hope I have the chance to read another book with a similar theme that is explained well.

message 8: by Havoves (new)

Havoves | 8 comments The most specific theme in the book Matched is not letting people choose your life. It explains this when Cassia is trying to be with Ky when they society wants Xander and Cassia (Condle 344). She does things like hides her artifacts, falls in love who she isn't supposed to, and find lost poems. One of the lines in the poem helps her fight back what is right to her. The author showed this theme by making a character, Cassia, who wants freedom and choice in her life. She makes Cassia go through these situations and makes Cassia fight for what's right. Don't let people try to change your life, and everything is not perfect.

reply | flag

message 9: by Havoves (new)

Havoves | 8 comments Simone wrote: "I believe that the most important theme the author was trying to emphasize was that we should take control of our lives, and that we shouldn't let anyone, or anything tell us how to live our lives...."
I agree with you. She had to fight what is right. Nobody she choose somebody's else life. Im glad that she stood up and picked her love one.

message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lukan | 9 comments Ally Condles theme for Matched is be yourself. Being your self is the best person you can be, don't let anyone tell you what you can and can not do. In Matched the government controls every one and plans out your life for you, they have many rules that they have to follow and cant truly be them self's for example "I've waited so long for my matched banquet and I'm so exited" (Condle 3). This shows that she cant choose who she gets to marry, in present day many of us has the opportunity to be our self's and live our life how we want, but that is not the case every where else and may not be the case in the future.e we have the opportunity we should speak our minds and be who we want to be.

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Lukan | 9 comments Havoves wrote: "The most specific theme in the book Matched is not letting people choose your life. It explains this when Cassia is trying to be with Ky when they society wants Xander and Cassia (Condle 344). She ..."
I also think that the theme is to always be yourself and don't let anyone tell you different. Life is too short to not be who you really want to be.

message 12: by Simone (new)

Simone | 8 comments Helena wrote: "The author, I feel, tries to emphasize themes throughout the novel in lots and lots of different ways. In my mind, Condie really emphasized the society to show the readers what it is like to live t..."

I agree with your response. I also believe that Condie emphasized the theme in many ways. I like that you included grandfathers poem in it. It goes along with what your saying.

message 13: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Sturtz | 7 comments I think that the author of the book was mostly trying to emphasis the theme to even though you're put in a bad position and the situation may not be that continent for you or others, you should always trust your instinct and do what is best for you, even if it is difficult. The author did this by having Cassia confused in who her match was, and her having to figure out her feelings and choose between the two people.

message 14: by Amaya (new)

Amaya Maakestad | 8 comments Maia wrote: "The most specific theme that the book is trying to teach you is to not let people choose your own life throughout the whole novel. It shows this by Cassia trying to rebel and choosing to like Ky ev..."
I don't think people should let people choose their lives for them. They should have their own freedom to choose. I would not let the Society control my life.

message 15: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 4 comments One theme I think the author was trying to emphasize was to choose your own life. She was trying to tell the reader that no one else should choose your life, or at least not all of it. She wanted us to see that we could make our own decisions and that we should not let someone or something, like the government, make decisions for us. It is okay for some decisions to be made for us. One example is when you are little. As a young child you could not make a good choice by yourself, so someone older like your parents makes it for you. It is okay that you don't make these decisions on your own, but once you get older you can make many more on your own. The author wanted us to realize that no one should control us especially when it is an important decision like getting married. To show this in the book the author created characters and a setting that showed an extreme example of someone have no decisions in there life. This let the readers see how it feels and realize what it would mean for someone in that situation. I will always remember to make my own decisions when I need to and I hope others will too.

message 16: by Lubedal (new)

Lubedal | 8 comments Olivia wrote: "Ally Condles theme for Matched is be yourself. Being your self is the best person you can be, don't let anyone tell you what you can and can not do. In Matched the government controls every one and..." i agree with the statement of them not being able to speak their minds or be who they want to be. they also can't have the experience of having a dream and working hard to active the dream because for them they know their entire life will be planed out for them so there id no point in having dreams if you know you dont get do deiced anything.